Wife Last Name Change After GC

magesh_kk

Registered Users (C)
Mostly 80% guys who goes to india for getting married, gets marriage certificate for their spouse and gets H4. There won't be sufficient time to change their spouse last name (which is her fathers name) & get a new Passport.

But is there anybody who has changed their wife name last name to their first name after getting GC. Please share your experience and throw some light on the procedures you followed.

Thanks!

yes..even i need that info

please..can someone share that info..
(but first I have to get my GC:( )

I have seen some people having marriage certificates having both names (something which I did not do & am now repenting!)--before & after marriage & it looks like INS does not have problems with this.

SILENTMEMBER

Just a thought ...
One option is to apply for a name change in wife's passport as soon as she gets to the US. She will get a new passport in one or two weeks. You can show both old and new passports to INS (old one for previous visa status).
--alaknanda

On GC!

In order to change last name of the spouse as a result of marriage the procedure is:

1) There will be form available at the Circuit Court of the county you reside in. Fill that (usually two forms, one is a petition and other is a court order) forms and file it in the circuit court.

2) In 3 weeks you should get a court order. Provide that when stamping I551. your spouses gc should have new last name.

Hope it helps!

I'm trying to find info about changing in Indian passport. If anybody knows, let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
on passport!

just found out that the indian embassy in the state has a form for misc. services, which includes maiden/married name change. Thought I will share this info. If anybody has any other type of info, let us know.

Another Important Issue

Changing the last name in GC as well as in the passport - should not be a big deal. But I don't want to do it for the following reason

Assuming my wife's last name would be "zzzzz" both in passport and GC. But all her degrees and post graduate degrees has a different last name. Using the name, she has registered in univeristy programs and has graduated . - All her evaluation here is done and certified based on her old last name. In that case, it would be a great hassle to change name in all the places -

Am I wrong?

tobeornottobe:

Should not be a hassle. two reasons:

1) degree certificates, evaluations need not be changed. If any body asks for it, provide what you have along with court order. (additional copies of order is $0.50 per additional copy)

2) Related documentation also indicates that all deeds, contracts need not be changed. Only the new stuff after the change, needs to have new last name.

Sonunigam0203

Thx for sharing the information. Are you saying that one should get the court certificate before one goes for the passposrt stamping after the 485 approval and then provide this certificate so that the temp stamp on the PP has the new last name and thereby the physical card bears the new last name as well......

greenerdreams

ideally yes! although it may not be possible in all circumstances.
Also consider having to change last name in passport, along with court order when you go to stamping. that way everything is consistent. I'm trying to get this done before my stamping, but the court order takes 3 wks no matter what, and passport name change is possible for an extra $90 on the same day.

The reason I'm so concerned about this is because of the situation I faced in this matter. Below is the explanation:

When coming from India 3 years back. I was newly wed, coming from mumbai. the immigration official in mumbai asked me why I did not change my wifes name in the passport. I explained to him I didn't had time. He warned me that it might cause trouble later on and better have it done ASAP. He did allow me to board the plane. My marriage certificate indicates my wifes maiden last name only. so on her h4, she has maiden last name but petitioner as my name. At that time I was in Michigan and went to secretary of state for photo ID for my wife. Strangely, they indicated that her H4 should have said my last name based on marriage certificate, although they issued her the photo ID with her maiden name. I also got her TaxID with her maiden name and filed (combined) taxes. When my wife got her EAD, we went for SSN and the when we filed the taxes, IRS sent a notice to confirm that since the last names are different, confirm that the new SSN is of my spouse. I asked a couple of friends if this ever happen to them and they said NO. That got me worried. I replied to IRS using a CPA and my taxes were then processed. I found it very disturbing that IRS did not have a problem when we filed together using TAXID but has a confirmation notice issued to us when used SSN. Although, I did not completely understand, why all this happend only to me, but it always bothered me why I did not have name change done as early as I landed here with my wife.

Hence, it is my personal opinion and a friendly suggestion to newly married and landed non-immigrants to get the name change done as soon as they land (ie, if they could not do it in thier home country as soon as marriage occured) and prior to filing applications with INS. Again, this may not be possible under all circumstances, and hence stands to be my opinion or suggestion only.

Long story huh! suggestions/comments welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thx

for the detailed note. Just wondering though, if the Passport is changed to reflect the new last name and the 485 approval is on the old last name, will the court certificate be enough for the stamping officer to stamp with the new last name or will that actually create issues. Would it be better to just get the stamp with the old last name and then go about changing it after the physical GC arrives....
Any thoughts?

Marriage certificate should do

I showed the original marriage cert. and gave a copy when we went for stamping. The IIO said the card could be ordered by the married last name. (My wife's 485 approval had her maiden name)