Wife has no income and didn't file taxes?

shinkansen

Registered Users (C)
My wife/sponsor (USC) has been a student and never filed taxes... is this a problem for us? I've got W2's from the past 4-5 years.

yes..problem...

she needs to provide a letter as to why she didn't file taxes..was she exempt from filing?

Also, I've worked, she hasn't. I'm still working, she is still a student. It'll be my income on the Affidavit forms as we live together and I'll be proving my W2's...

ahh... she's ok:

"For 2006 tax returns, individuals younger than age 65 must file if they make at least $8,450 as single filers."

She earned $0 so didn't have to file...

congrats...for ur wedding !!

and yes, she 's ok as she had no income. But I wonder if she needs a letter or proof from the IRS about that, if asked at the interview... or you might even get an RFE for I864 after submission. I tried searching online but could not find any form/letter for such cases.
good luck with your filing...

PS: I am sure, you are planning to file jointly for year 2006....but just a reminder.:D

and yes, she 's ok as she had no income. But I wonder if she needs a letter or proof from the IRS about that, if asked at the interview... or you might even get an RFE for I864 after submission. I tried searching online but could not find any form/letter for such cases.
good luck with your filing...

PS: I am sure, you are planning to file jointly for year 2006....but just a reminder.:D

The IRS doesn't provide the letter.
She simply needs to prepare a self written/typed letter ( a written affidavit dated and signed- It doesn't have to be notarized) stating that she has not filed for taxes do to the fact that she was not employed and that she was a student. We had to get a sponsor because my wife USC did not work and we got an RFE. My wife simply submitted a typed letter explaining that she did not file taxes because she was not working. That is all your wife nee

Definitely gonna need a sponsor. I don't understand tho how you have w2s and your the one who is getting a GC... But yea you will need a sponsor and fill out the I-864.

well...

Definitely gonna need a sponsor. I don't understand tho how you have w2s and your the one who is getting a GC... But yea you will need a sponsor and fill out the I-864.

...he works and married a US citizen who doesn't yet work :) :D :p .

Yeah Wicked... Im here already on H1B, and I live with my USC so my income can be considered as part of the "household" income for the Affidavit of Support form. I'm easily >125% of the poverty level as shown in the povery level guidelines... so no prob. Thanks for all the replies. Will get my wife to write a letter.

Just to comment on this, no he doesn't need a co-sponsor. He's been working on a H-1B and living with his wife supporting her, therefore his income can be used on the I-864. This is commonly referred to as "self-sponsoring" even though officially the sponsor is his wife.

There's no problem doing this, I was in the exact same situation (wife a student, no income, I worked on an H-1B in the USA for 7 years). I got no RFEs and no questions about income at interview, and I didn't even provide anything more than the bare minimum asked for on the affidavit (2005 tax return + W2).

Writing a No Income letter!

Hey NeShawn, I have a question about joint sponsor form I-864A, does the joint sponsor have to Notarise the I-864A form before mailing it? Can you please post a sample affidavit of the No income letter? Thanks in advance!

The IRS doesn't provide the letter.
She simply needs to prepare a self written/typed letter ( a written affidavit dated and signed- It doesn't have to be notarized) stating that she has not filed for taxes do to the fact that she was not employed and that she was a student. We had to get a sponsor because my wife USC did not work and we got an RFE. My wife simply submitted a typed letter explaining that she did not file taxes because she was not working. That is all your wife nee

I simply wrote:

I, __________ , was not required to file income taxes to the fact that I have not been employed in the year 2006.

I dated it, signed it, stated my name, address.

Also you said I-864 A , do you mean I-864 for whomever is sponsoring you?

I simply wrote:

I, __________ , was not required to file income taxes to the fact that I have not been employed in the year 2006.

If I recall correctly, whether the petitioner has filed income taxes or not, he/she has to fill out I-864, which will show his/her income for the last 3 recent years. So, there is no need for that letter.
In this case, the wife will fill out I-864 with zero income, and the husband - I-864A.

Hi, I also have a question. My husband had filed federal taxes for 2006, but not for 2005 and 2004. We have a joint sponsor, but he still needs to submit I-864. (I received RFE :eek: )

On the I-864 form, question #25 has a check box and a statement "I have filed a Federal tax return for each of the three most recent tax years..."
Then there is space for entering the annual income for the last three years.

:confused: Should I leave that check box unmarked and then hand-wright "Please see attached letter"?

:confused: And also - my husband does not remember his exact income for 2005 or 2004. He can request his W-2s from IRS for these years, but this might take up to 45 days (I called IRS to ask). Do you think it is acceptable to write "less than $8200" for 2005 and "less than $7950" for 2004? (These are the cut off numbers for these years)

Thanks

Hi NeShawn,Thanks for taking the time to reply back. I appreciate it. I meant I-864 not I-864A...that was a typo!
Thanks again!

I simply wrote:

Also you said I-864 A , do you mean I-864 for whomever is sponsoring you?