Wife applying on my behalf

Xenfinity

Registered Users (C)
Well, here's the situation...

I got married to a LPR in October and she's becoming a citizen in the middle of next month (had her interview, passed and the oath is scheduled). My mother last year put me on her AOS application as an unmarried under 21 son/daughter. She married a USC but because of issues, the marriage didn't work out well and they are now seperated. The application was denied. So I've fallen out of status again. My mother does not want to persue it since she's moving back to her country. So now my wife want's to sponser me. Here's the info on us. We're both college freshmen. She's 18 I'm 19. I go to a school but she's transfering into my school next semester (january 2007). We've found a nice room in a house of 4. If we like the room/house we're signing the lease this friday. All her documents (including her soon to be certificate of naturalization) has my last name. We have joint bank accounts/savings/credit cards. No car, we don't drive. We're going to enroll in our college as married living together off-campus. My brother and his wife is sponsering us (they definatly meet the requirements, she's a teacher and he's a silkscreener with 2 kids. They definatly make over 25k/year). I know we have a good chance. The thing is all hte lawyers around here charge $1700-$2000 for the process+ fees. As college students that's a lot. But we also get hammered financial aid wise since I get no financial aid. So that lawyers fee would pay itself more then triple in one semester if I'm a LPR. I could fill out all the forms, It's not hard, I'm good at that. I'm just wondering, do you guys think that our situation warrents a lawyer? I mean it's pretty cut and dry except for our age. I think that's hte only sticky point. They could give us trouble for that, but everythings legal. BTW I came here legally but my mom and I overstayed back in 98. I don't have the I-94 anymore since that bastards took it in my mom's interview, I do have a copy though.

Cliffs
- Came here legally on a tourist visa in 1998
- fell out of status
- Mom married when I was younger then 18
- Mom applied for green card 2 years after marriage
- Added me to her application
- Marriage fell apart, application denied, took I-94 during the interview
- I married last October
- She's naturalizing mid december
- Brother's sponsering us (makes enough money)
- I have a copy of my I-94, also corrisponds with entry in passport
- Wife and I moving in together in january
- We will go to the same school
- Joint check/savings/credit accounts.
- Lease in both our names
- Tons of pictures together, including her as my senior prom date
- Marriage was at city hall (we're poor)
- We had a small reception at mom's house.
- Honey moon at the marriot (saved reciept)
- pictures of everything
- We love each other very much!
- Should we use a lawyer? (we need money!)

Xenfinity said:

I got married to a LPR in October and she's becoming a citizen in the middle of next month (had her interview, passed and the oath is scheduled). My mother last year put me on her AOS application as an unmarried under 21 son/daughter. She married a USC but because of issues, the marriage didn't work out well and they are now seperated. The application was denied. So I've fallen out of status again. My mother does not want to persue it since she's moving back to her country. So now my wife want's to sponser me. Here's the info on us. We're both college freshmen. She's 18 I'm 19. I go to a school but she's transfering into my school next semester (january 2007). We've found a nice room in a house of 4. If we like the room/house we're signing the lease this friday. All her documents (including her soon to be certificate of naturalization) has my last name. We have joint bank accounts/savings/credit cards. No car, we don't drive. We're going to enroll in our college as married living together off-campus. My brother and his wife is sponsering us (they definatly meet the requirements, she's a teacher and he's a silkscreener with 2 kids. They definatly make over 25k/year). I know we have a good chance. The thing is all hte lawyers around here charge $1700-$2000 for the process+ fees. As college students that's a lot. But we also get hammered financial aid wise since I get no financial aid. So that lawyers fee would pay itself more then triple in one semester if I'm a LPR. I could fill out all the forms, It's not hard, I'm good at that. I'm just wondering, do you guys think that our situation warrents a lawyer? I mean it's pretty cut and dry except for our age. I think that's hte only sticky point. They could give us trouble for that, but everythings legal. BTW I came here legally but my mom and I overstayed back in 98. I don't have the I-94 anymore since that bastards took it in my mom's interview, I do have a copy though.

Cliffs
- fell out of status
- I married last October
- pictures of everything

Xenfinity I married LPR in 2001 still waiting to get GC but looking at your sitiuation Get lawyer you will be better off 1 mistake could put you into trouble.

Xenfinity said:

Cliffs
- fell out of status
- I married last October
- pictures of everything

Based on the facts you gave, you do not need a lawyer per se. Provided that you entered on a legal visa, overstay is usually forgiven to spouses of USC. When your wife becomes a USC, file for AOS. Prepare your evidence very well.

Perhaps a low cost consultation would be a good idea ---- have you thought about Catholic Charities or a similar organization? They provide services for between $30 -60.