Wierd I-485 RFE!

chrisjavier

Registered Users (C)
Guys.. i need you help ..i got the following RFE on my I-485

1. Please provide a certified copy of you passport and a copyof you I-94 showing a legal entry.

Now, what do they mean by certified copy of passport and should i submit copy of all pages, i dont get it , i thought i had already submitted a copy of my passport. Please help!!!

A certified copy of a passport is a copy of the passport which has been certified by the clerk of the issuing agency. In some states, notaries are also allowed to certify copies, and put their notary seal on this.

This is extremely strange that they are asking for this. What country are you from? I am just thinking that a foreign passport has to be certified by the foreign entity that issued the passport which could be hard. Are you sure it exactly reads that?

RFE mail

How many days did it take for you to receive the RFE.An RFE was issued to me on 19th September but I still have not recieved the mail. Do we get the mail or does the Attorney get it?

Not that strange

chrisjavier said:

1. Please provide a certified copy of you passport and a copyof you I-94 showing a legal entry.

Now, what do they mean by certified copy of passport and should i submit copy of all pages, i dont get it , i thought i had already submitted a copy of my passport. Please help!!!

chrisjavier,

The reason they are asking for a certified copy of your passport and a copy of the I-94 is to confirm your legal status while you have been in the US. They go through the passport and match the entry exit stamps on the pages to ensure that you have been legal throughout your stay here. If you have always been in status then there is nothing to worry about. Make sure to copy every page of your passport and ensure that the copies are clear.

I had to do a similar thing with my case.

good luck,

saras

Attorney

leo09 said:
How many days did it take for you to receive the RFE.An RFE was issued to me on 19th September but I still have not recieved the mail. Do we get the mail or does the Attorney get it?

leo09,

The USCIS sends RFE to the attorney on record. Please get in touch with your attroney to enure that they have gotten it and are working on it.

regards,

saras

chrisjavier said:

chrisjavier,

What is your PD?? Are you from EB3 and belongs to retro country??

It is not uncommon to ask for legal status. My friend was asked to provide legal status / I94's for his last 9 years of stay including his student I20 and all H1B approval notices and copies passport(s). I have also heard a case where even tax returns were asked for all years of work/stay in United states.

So it may be important to make sure we keep all the documents and not discard anything.

chrisjavier said:
I am E2 non retro

what if io dont have all the i-94s, would the stamps on the passports be enough. One is not supposed to keep the i-94, it says right on the back of the i94 that it must be returned to ins officer when you leav the country after the expiration of the i-94 or change of status

chrisjavier said:
what if io dont have all the i-94s, would the stamps on the passports be enough. One is not supposed to keep the i-94, it says right on the back of the i94 that it must be returned to ins officer when you leav the country after the expiration of the i-94 or change of status

clear Color photo copy of exit and entrance stamp on your passport should work.

leo09

The RFE should only take 3-4 days to receive it. Check with your attorney isf you have one, if not you should have received this is 3-4 days tops

chrisjavier said:
Do you have the current I-94 and did you include the copy of that when you file I-485? The current I-94 is the most important.

chrisjavier said:
it was not the current I-94, but an old I-94 from when i was f1
Is the I-94 when you were on F1 the most recent I-94? Or in other words, you have not left US after you got the I-94 with F1, is it right?

i entered as f-1 in 2001, i got my h1 in 2003, however, i dont have the i-94 for the f1 becuase when i got my new i-94 for my h1, the ins official took my old i-94 when i entered with the new i-94

As per my understanding, you can show the dates in passport for old i-94s, for the latest one you can show the latest I-94.

Here after better to have a copy of all I-94s guys.