• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Why people from developed countries immigrate to USA?

Personal income tax is 8% above the OECD average, and 17% above the global average.

Australia's top personal income tax rate is 49% and is effective at $180,000. Americas top personal income tax rate is 39.6% and doesn't kick in until $600,000.

Australian taxes are some of the highest in the OECD world, and statistically look even worse when compared to the global average. We also have the luxury of operating one of the most complex and convoluted taxation systems in the world.

As GG said above, just looking at personal income tax doesn't tell the whole story. In the US, you've state income taxes, city income taxes, property taxes (think >$6000 per year, often much more), social security, state and city sales taxes. If you're leaving large inheritances, there are estate taxes. I've paid taxes in both countries and for the same income, I paid less in Australia. And when spending, AU slugs me with 10% GST, while depending on where I am in the States, sales taxes can be far higher than that.

Australia's tax rates are low. Though by the looks of your focus on the top personal rate, I think we have something of an ideological difference regarding tax.

Below is an interesting article from an american woman who lived in nz. In my opinion she is spot on. Some of the comments from others in the article link are hilarious.

http://e2nz.org/migrant-stories/chapter-4/an-americans-take-on-rip-off-new-zealand/

My story:

We moved out of nz because it was ridiculously expensive to do anything and the quality of living has gone right down. While beautiful and peaceful, the cost of living is so high compared to the wages. The price of housing is high.
Unemployment is high, dole bludging is high. If you try to get ahead with employment, you get looked at in a negative way.

The weather was more sideways rain and wind than sun. Took 3 days to dry clothes.

People where I am from are proud to be lazy, unemployed slobs. They wear pajamas to the supermarket, or a bath towel (yes, this was common attire).
It is so sad to see this in my home town, very embarrassing. Now, I am a person who thinks it is important to maintain health, (the diet of most of my hometown is KFC or maccas so we have a lot of obesity) and I also have enough self respect to get dressed (into clothes, not pj's) before leaving the house. Hair brushed and freshened up.

If I put on make up or dressed nicely I would be asked by friends or colleagues "who are you trying to impress".
I was screamed at on the streets by some gangsta girls some awful names because I looked nice. I won't go into what names. At the local shops, I am always asked for money or cigarettes by
Thugs. When I visit, I feel like I have to dress down or I'll be looked at funny. It's a weird feeling since I am so used to looking my best for work (not a hair out of place and flawless make up).

There are a lot of decaying homes, no self pride or home pride. Lots of stray dogs and wannabe gang members.
Nz electric was about $450 per month even though we worked 12 hour days away from home and only used fire place for heating... Aus is around $300 a quarter, much better.
Wages are so low in nz and prices are high for everything!

We moved to aus 5 years ago and kiwis get special category visa and are
allowed to live and work right away.
We do love aus and feel it is a better place to raise kids, work and live compared with nz. But our hearts are in the states. We have to follow our hearts.

It has always been our dream (mine since I was a kid) to move to usa! We love how Americans are enthusiastic, friendly, proud of their achievements, encouraging and so welcoming! Every time we visit we feel at home. A great quote I heard is: "Live your life as a dream, if you can dream it, you can live it."

Anyway I have gone on a bit now, any questions just ask :)
Most of her comments are valid, unless y
Most
Below is an interesting article from an american woman who lived in nz. In my opinion she is spot on. Some of the comments from others in the article link are hilarious.

http://e2nz.org/migrant-stories/chapter-4/an-americans-take-on-rip-off-new-zealand/

My story:

We moved out of nz because it was ridiculously expensive to do anything and the quality of living has gone right down. While beautiful and peaceful, the cost of living is so high compared to the wages. The price of housing is high.
Unemployment is high, dole bludging is high. If you try to get ahead with employment, you get looked at in a negative way.

The weather was more sideways rain and wind than sun. Took 3 days to dry clothes.

People where I am from are proud to be lazy, unemployed slobs. They wear pajamas to the supermarket, or a bath towel (yes, this was common attire).
It is so sad to see this in my home town, very embarrassing. Now, I am a person who thinks it is important to maintain health, (the diet of most of my hometown is KFC or maccas so we have a lot of obesity) and I also have enough self respect to get dressed (into clothes, not pj's) before leaving the house. Hair brushed and freshened up.

If I put on make up or dressed nicely I would be asked by friends or colleagues "who are you trying to impress".
I was screamed at on the streets by some gangsta girls some awful names because I looked nice. I won't go into what names. At the local shops, I am always asked for money or cigarettes by
Thugs. When I visit, I feel like I have to dress down or I'll be looked at funny. It's a weird feeling since I am so used to looking my best for work (not a hair out of place and flawless make up).

There are a lot of decaying homes, no self pride or home pride. Lots of stray dogs and wannabe gang members.
Nz electric was about $450 per month even though we worked 12 hour days away from home and only used fire place for heating... Aus is around $300 a quarter, much better.

We do love aus and feel it is a better place to raise kids, work and live compared with nz. But our hearts are in the states. We have to follow our hearts.

It has always been our dream (mine since I was a kid) to move to usa! We love how Americans are enthusiastic, friendly, proud of their achievements, encouraging and so welcoming! Every time we visit we feel at home. A great quote I heard is: "Live your life as a dream, if you can dream it, you can live it."

As GG said above, just looking at personal income tax doesn't tell the whole story. In the US, you've state income taxes, city income taxes, property taxes (think >$6000 per year, often much more), social security, state and city sales taxes. If you're leaving large inheritances, there are estate taxes. I've paid taxes in both countries and for the same income, I paid less in Australia. And when spending, AU slugs me with 10% GST, while depending on where I am in the States, sales taxes can be far higher than that.

Australia's tax rates are low. Though by the looks of your focus on the top personal rate, I think we have something of an ideological difference regarding tax.

US tax is something I'm literally petrified of! I remember someone I used to be very close to who lives in GA telling me the ins and outs of the tax setup there and how you get tax breaks for this and tax breaks for that and papers need to be submitted and numbers crunched and my head spun at the time thanking God I lived in the UK where your HR department at work handles ALL of that and you never do a single thing tax related (unless you're self employed, which is still easier to submit a tax return from what I understand.)

So yeah, fully nervous and havent a clue which state to pick to narrow our focus when considering what jobs and home rental and schools to look at when we move next year, because every state seems so complicated and I'm unsure which ones are good ones to aim for and which are ones you get a pretty raw deal. :/

My story:

She must have lived in worst part of the city. I know a family who lives in a garage, in winter their house is freezing cold. They have no high school cert, low wages, 3-4 jobs between them, 2 small rooms, and yet they go on holiday at least 3 times a year, the husband drinks heavily, they have the latest gadgets (hire purchase with high interests) and yet they choose to live like that-if it were me I would make sure that my home is warm in winter, cool in summer, my kids fed healthy meals, don't care about drinking and the latest car and technology, I did ask them why they lived like that, answer was "rent is too high". but then you drink and buy all sorts of stuff, eat out every night- family of 4 eat out each night its $40- 50 easy -. kids are getting fat. why not buy some fruit and veges and meat and cook yourself instead of eating out every night , get in a nice place and cook your own meals- cheaper. good Lord I cannot understand this way of life. I'm not against having the latest things or eating out every night.

Last edited:
US tax is something I'm literally petrified of!

havent a clue which state to pick to narrow our focus when considering what jobs and home rental and schools to look at when we move next year, because every state seems so complicated and I'm unsure which ones are good ones to aim for and which are ones you get a pretty raw deal. :/

A) Use TurboTax
B) Just pick the place you want to live and don't over-engineer it.

Just looking at my American Payslip, here are the taxes coming out:

FEDERAL W/H
OASDI
MEDICARE
STATE W/H CO
CO 9141-GG​

Federal is 58% of the taxes taken, there are an extra 42% of other taxes. You'll notice I forgot to mention Medicare 'tax' which is a separate tax item. OASDI is Social Security.

Let's not forget that School Districts are funded by property tax.

So with all that tax, how come they don't provide more services than Australia? Interesting question.

She must have lived in worst part of the city. I know a family who lives in a garage, in winter their house is freezing cold. They have no high school cert, low wages, 3-4 jobs between them, 2 small rooms, and yet they go on holiday at least 3 times a year, the husband drinks heavily, they have the latest gadgets (hire purchase with high interests) and yet they choose to live like that-if it were me I would make sure that my home is warm in winter, cool in summer, my kids fed healthy meals, don't care about drinking and the latest car and technology, I did ask them why they lived like that, answer was "rent is too high". but then you drink and buy all sorts of stuff, eat out every night- family of 4 eat out each night its $40- 50 easy -. kids are getting fat. why not buy some fruit and veges and meat and cook yourself instead of eating out every night , get in a nice place and cook your own meals- cheaper. good Lord I cannot understand this way of life. I'm not against having the latest things or eating out every night.

It is so common in nz, I have friends all over north and south and see this way of life as the norm. They are not wanting to change or better themselves or children. I don't understand this way of life either. I can only put it down to laziness. They can't be bothered to cook healthy meals or get a degree to better their job offers etc. They are simply existing and do not have a bright future for them or their kids, it is going to be a cycle with their kids too. Sad and debt ridden. To be honest, most of them are career mothers... Have kids to get on the welfare payments.

It is so common in nz, I have friends all over north and south and see this way of life as the norm. They are not wanting to change or better themselves or children. I don't understand this way of life either. I can only put it down to laziness. They can't be bothered to cook healthy meals or get a degree to better their job offers etc. They are simply existing and do not have a bright future for them or their kids, it is going to be a cycle with their kids too. Sad and debt ridden. To be honest, most of them are career mothers... Have kids to get on the welfare payments.

I think welfare payments should be for those people who really need them- I know some people need help-but its abusing the system if you can get a job and up skill yourself but choose not to! One of the girls I know, husband had left her, she had 2 very small children to feed- she went to university- got of the benefit in 3.5 years... but she did something for herself and her kids- that was welfare well spent. At times she would drive to university with an empty petrol tank, she couldn't afford small pleasures like eating out or buying chocolates but now she's earning about $75,000 per year. Her kids still don't get to eat out often, she chooses to cook home and save money for their college fees. I have so much respect for people such as her.