Why Masters degree is required?

LaborIsPainful

Registered Users (C)
Please help! I got a query from SESA and my lawyer wants to me to reply to him with info on why masters degree is required. The labor application has been filed as requiring Masters degree in Engg with no experience and the position was for java programmer. We had to do it that way since this is the first company I joined after my masters. Even though I had already worked there for almost 3 years, that experience cannot be counted, as per my lawyer....

Can someone please share their experience on this.
If you have any documentation, please post it or email it to me.

LaborIsPainful said:
Please help! I got a query from SESA and my lawyer wants to me to reply to him with info on why masters degree is required. The labor application has been filed as requiring Masters degree in Engg with no experience and the position was for java programmer. We had to do it that way since this is the first company I joined after my masters. Even though I had already worked there for almost 3 years, that experience cannot be counted, as per my lawyer....

Can someone please share their experience on this.
If you have any documentation, please post it or email it to me.

Its kinda surprising that your lawyer did not take your 3 years experience into consideration. The only reason that I can think of right now is, your experience must have been in technologies other than being used at your current employer.

Experience gained while working for current employer is not counted towards the years of experience while applying for labor certification. Simple.

Anyone with similar experience, please give me some pointers on this. I need to send it back to the lawyer today. Your help is really appreciated.

Thanks.

But isn't the question why a master's is required and a bachelor's degree unacceptable as the minimum requirement?

Hmm.. I dunno...Its just that I am stuck with a stupid "reputed" lawyer. He is supposed to take care of al this, but... anyway, we did manage to put up some documentation. Hope it works out... Thanks to everyone who responded :)

LaborISPainful,
I am in a similar situation as you and my lawyer is currently responding to Virginia SESA's query that we received last month (after waiting for 1 year 4 months)...

My lawyer has now amended the ETA 750 A to have a minimum requirement of a Master's degree with zero years of exp.

After I got my Master's, I started working for my sponsoring employer (my first employer). I have been working for this sponsoring employer for three years now. Unfortunately, for LC purposes, we cannot count the years of exp accrued with the sponsoring employer. This is a well known fact.

My lawyer prepared a business necessity letter justifying certain special skills are required (I have these skills due to a specialization in the field in which I have a Masters). Also, he mentioned that this is a senior level postion and recent course work with new advanced technologies is necessary.

However, my lawyer also stated in the letter that a Bachelor's degree with "5 yrs of relevant experience" in the field of specialization would be deemed equivalent to a Master's degree (in the specialized field).

My lawyer is going to send this response to SESA in the next few days. So I am keeping my fingers crossed...I don't know how SESA will respond to my lawyer's response...I am hoping they won't raise any objections.

Needless to say, this has caused a lot of anxiety for me....Labor Certification process is indeed very painful!!! :eek: :mad: :(

Last edited by a moderator: