Why is it required to get your pp stamped after approval?

user_9999 said:
I am sure that you would not say this if you ever had the experience of standing in the line outside USCIS office in winter for 6 hours. I know INS has implemented Infopass for certain offices and I am glad that LA office is one of them. I had to go to USCIS office for my iEAD in the month of dec. First day I went there at 4:30 am, stood in the line for 6 hours and then the clerk at the counter refused to give me the token because I did not have the current address proof with me. She asked me get the change of address proof from DMV. I went again the very next day… again waited of 6hrs in line starting at 4:30 in the morning in winter, entered in office at 10:30 am, IIO called my number at 4:45 pm, said they can not produce the card at this time as the card production unit closes at 4:00pm or something, thankfully he gave me an appointment to directly meet him the next day without waiting in the line.

I do not think anybody would like to go through this kind of ordeal unless it is absolutely necessary. I guess we do not have any choice here if we have to surrender those docs and give FP.

Thanks to all who have replied.

Sorry to know that you had bad experience with iEAD. I had to wait almost 8 hours in the line to get my iEAD. That is the procedure followed by most of the people and will be followed in order to get green card after I-485 approval. I wish we could get our greencards without standing in the long-Q

Jharkhandi said:
Adding to what pralay said:

You don't need to. Your employer cannot know if your GC is approved or not, if your lawyer/you do not tell him.

Agreed the employer cannot know that. But the employee does, and it is the employee's responsibility under I-9 regulations to inform the employer of any changes to employment authorization/immigration status and to present to the employer any new document to prove such status.

nkm-oct23 said:
Agreed the employer cannot know that. But the employee does, and it is the employee's responsibility under I-9 regulations to inform the employer of any changes to employment authorization/immigration status and to present to the employer any new document to prove such status.

Nope, it's employer's responsibility. Employer is required to keep and maintain a file for each alien employee (and that is USCIs rule). When H1 or EAD expires, employer supposed to ask you to fill up a new I-9.
Therefore, if your I-485 is approved and your H1/EAD is still valid, you can keep quiet. After your EAD/H1 expiration, when your employer will ask you fillup new I-9, either you can get your passort stamped and show them, or you can show your plastic GC (if you got already).

pralay said:
Nope, it's employer's responsibility. Employer is required to keep and maintain a file for each alien employee (and that is USCIs rule). When H1 or EAD expires, employer supposed to ask you to fill up a new I-9.
Therefore, if your I-485 is approved and your H1/EAD is still valid, you can keep quiet. After your EAD/H1 expiration, when your employer will ask you fillup new I-9, either you can get your passort stamped and show them, or you can show your plastic GC (if you got already).

Is it not the responsiblility of employee to inform HR and fill out the I-9 form. For example, a person has H1 valid until December,04, if he gets I-485 approved and passport stamped and got actual green card before November,04. The employer may ask employee to fill out I-9 form two weeks before H1 expiry. I learnt from this forum as soon as I-485 approved, H1 or EAD becomes invalid. In that case, employer may not know unless you inform about your green card approval. What will happen if you do not inform immediately about your green card approval to the Employer.

gcusa99 said:
Is it not the responsiblility of employee to inform HR and fill out the I-9 form. For example, a person has H1 valid until December,04, if he gets I-485 approved and passport stamped and got actual green card before November,04. The employer may ask employee to fill out I-9 form two weeks before H1 expiry. I learnt from this forum as soon as I-485 approved, H1 or EAD becomes invalid. In that case, employer may not know unless you inform about your green card approval. What will happen if you do not inform immediately about your green card approval to the Employer.

Employer does not need to know. Basically employer needs a proof that you are authorized to work in USA. As long H1/EAD is valid, your HR is happy. This works well when your I485 is approved (because you have a contineous work status anyway). On the other side, if your I-485 is denied and you don't have a valid H1 (and all the appeals exhausted), your EAD card automaticaly becomes invalid. I think that part is gray area for employer (because according to their record your EAD is still valid). But in this case employee is supposed to leave job (and country) in his/her own. If you don't then it's your problem (not employers).

Last edited by a moderator:
Last week my wife and me went to Memphis, TN for Passport stamping. IIO collected our 2 ADIT photos, I-94, AP & 485 approval notice and took the finger print & signature on a form. Then she put the photos in a small zip-lock bag and stapled it (along with other docos) to the form that she took my finger print and signature. To my curiosity I asked the IIO whether it is mandatory to stamp the passport. She replied that, that is the only way they can collect our signature and most recent photos (within 30 days). But I do not know whether it is 100% true or not...!!. Also she stated that, in our case, INS Memphis will send it to INS CA. Only after the receipt of these photos and doco, INS CA or the designated agency start making the plastic cards.
Again... I do not know whether it is true or not...