Why I-90 processing time with MSC is so different, 2 weeks to many months?

yeremeyv

Registered Users (C)
I wonder why for one person the processing time may be about 2 weeks and many months for another. Is this totally random? Or maybe it depends on how fast the FBI checks are completed? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
explain your questions a little bit more

Hi,

I efiled my I90 and I have my biometeric scheduled for Oct, 10. It took almost three months to get the biometeric appt. My case number starts with MSC. I still have yet to go to the biometeric appt. to get my fingerprinting taken. How will it take after that to get the card? Is it like you are saying 2 weeks to many months? How many months are you saying?

Thanks,
Yanal

Details

I got my biometrics appointment letter next day after I got my receipt notice, which I got 4 days after I efiled my I-90 on September, 18.

I wrote that my previous card was "lost, stolen, or destroyed" because that is what the Texas Service Center instructed me to do in their letter after my expired green card was withheld as some kind of evidence on the US border. One other thing is that I entered some wrong information in the I-90 by accident, the mistake was not really serious, but I expected a delay due to this error. And still another issue, I have 2 valid greencard numbers at the moment, I don't know why.

So I feel really lucky that I got my biometrics appointment letter so quickly.

What is so confusing is that there are I-90 timelines with MSC such as:

Date filed----------Date approved--------Card sent
June 14, 2006------June 28, 2006--------July 3, 2006
June 14, 2006------NOT APPROVED YET---NOT SENT
June 14, 2006------September 24, 2006---October 4, 2006

How many months? I don't know. Something like 6 or more, probably.

From what you told me about your biometrics appointment scheduling, I suspect that the reason for such irregularities is within the USCIS.

The biometrics appointment

I was able to go to another Application Support Center for biometrics without any problem. It took about an hour and a half, including name correction procedures

My I-90 timeline with MSC is currently this:

September 18, 2006 -- eFiled I-90
September 18, 2006 -- Application received by MSC
September 22, 2006 -- Notice of Receipt received by me
September 23, 2006 -- Biometrics letter received by me
October 3, 2006 -- Biometrics appointment
October 10, 2006 -- Case "touched"

Ginnu, do you think I will get my greencard soon? I'm really worried about the issue

what does case touched mean? btw, why do you have 2 green card numbers, does that mean you have 2 greencards and that you have 2 alien numbers? how did that happen? keep us up-to-date with when you receive your greencard!

thanks,
Yanal

Last action date in the USCIS online case status database may change without any other information updated. This means that some internal processing was done by USCIS, but they did not do anything that may require your attention. When this happens, it is customary to say that the application was "touched".

I do have two green cards at the same time: a temporary one and the one that was destroyed. I can get a new one instead of the one that was destroyed, according to instructions from Texas Service Center. Those greencards have different numbers. The temporary greencard will not automatically lead to a plastic card, but there is no thing as temporary permanent resident status (except conditional LPR status, that is), and as I was told by SSA, the SAVE information for the A numbers is identical, so they have no way of knowing how to tell one file from another except by the number

I filed I 90 and i recieved a letter from my nbc

Hi everybody!

I send i 90 application in September 6 ,to Missouri service center, after
almost 30 days with nothing , just silence, i got a letter from my national benefit center .
It start Dear Madam ...........very nice , really surprise they tell me
they did receive the application and they doing the processing , and probably in less than 100 days i m gonna have my answer.

I never read if someone receive a letter like this before, it has my A number and the same file number when i fill for I 485 .

why they did not give me a new number for my file?in uscis website doesn't said anything about the letter the last post was when i have my interview

How did you send it in, did you efile or send it by mail?

Never heard about such letters or anything like that. It is not a Notice of Action, isn't it?

Hi, yes i guess it is a NOA, i send my request for regular mail , at the moment i was afraid that maybe it could be lost.
The letter i received i think is not a NOA , just have my name correct like want , and my A number . with my msc number from my old I 485.

i hope this mean that uscis is working fast and better!!!

I went to the local USCIS office today, and they told me that efiling an I-90 is almost equivalent to having expedited processing. That's why I recommend all applicants to efile their I-90 applications instead of sending them in by mail. USCIS does work faster and better, but the best way to experience that is by efiling or using premium processing, which is not available for I-90. <<< I am not a lawyer >>>

I was told that the second FBI name check was completed on October 5, 2006, that is 2 days after my biometrics, and that I should have my greencard soon in the mail.

Yeah!!!

By the way, when my application was touched on October 10, they changed some data in my case.

wow

congrats! what is a "second" FBI check? let us know when you recieve the card.

Well the first FBI check is done when USCIS receives the application. I think that it is supposed to be done before the first NOA is sent, but ask Ginnu to be sure. The second FBI check is initiated after the biometrics appointment

laaw2006 said:
Hi everybody!

I send i 90 application in September 6 ,to Missouri service center, after
almost 30 days with nothing , just silence, i got a letter from my national benefit center .
It start Dear Madam ...........very nice , really surprise they tell me
they did receive the application and they doing the processing , and probably in less than 100 days i m gonna have my answer.

I never read if someone receive a letter like this before, it has my A number and the same file number when i fill for I 485 .

why they did not give me a new number for my file?in uscis website doesn't said anything about the letter the last post was when i have my interview

I have the same issue like you. I filed my I-90 by mail due to incorrect birthday. Since it is their mistake, we cannot e-file it, they want us to send it to a specific mailing address with supporting documents. Also, I was told by the immigration officer that I wouldn't receive NOA since it was their mistake. She said that I'll receive a letter just like you yours once they start working on it... She said that due to that there is no way for me to track it. In the mean time, MSC received my package on September 18 and I am still waiting for the letter. They told me that it takes up to 6 months to get it corrected. However, she said that if I don't hear anything in 3 months, I can make an appointment and they can research it for me. In the mean time, they stamped my PP for 6 months. I am going back to my country for Thanksgiving time.. Hopefully, once I try to get back, I won't have any issues..

This is the first time

This is the first time that I hear that FBI is asked to check the applicant when he or she files the application. I always thought that the FBI is asked to check only one time and that is when USCIS takes your biometerics. It is not that I don't believe you but how did you come to know that there is a first FBI check? and then what we call the biometeric appt. is the second?

Thanks alot for your help!

I saw the screen when I talked to the USCIS officer, and it said something like:

09/18/2006: Application received
09/20/2006: FBI: NO DEROGATORY INFORMATION FOUND
09/21/2006: Biometrics appointment scheduled

After the biometrics there was a second FBI check, with record similar to:

10/05/2006: FBI: NON-IDENT

wow...good...so we all now know that they do check us when we submit our applications...I am suprised you were able to see the screen..that's some good insight.

The USCIS officer was pretty much friendly, and he even showed me the screen with the application activity log

anything interesting there?...I don't mean to be nosy...but I am just interested to know more about the behind the scenes!! btw, is your application now approved or not?

My applications is not approved yet, but about half of the applicants who efiled their applications on the same date (09/18/2006) got approval already.

I guess I will get my greencard in a week or so.

I did not have time to read all information about my case the officer had in the computer, but there was a lot of technical and other information that is not very relevant to the processing speed.

As an engineer, based on what I saw, I can say that the USCIS database does not look messed up or misdesigned.