Why I-485 receipt required to travel with a valid H-1B visa?

Amigo India

Registered Users (C)
Could someone explain why I-485 receipt required to travel outside the US
even with a valid H-1B visa ?
In I-485 filing instruction INS says one can travel outside the US with a valid H-1B visa. It does not say anything about getting a receipt for I-485 before travelling outside after filing I-485.

No Title

If you have filed I485, the conselor can not refuse you an H1-B because of tendency to immigrate to America. By definition, H1-B is for non-immigrants. If you intend to stay in America, you can not get an H1-B. However, there is a waiver for H1-B holders who filed I485. They can get H1 even if they intend to stay in America.

Tx

Thanks UE. I already have a valid H-1B visa on my passport.
I am also filing for my I-485. Can I travel outside US and re-enter without any problem if I go out and re-enter before I receive I-485 filing receipt from INS ?

No Title

I had a similar problem in that I never did receive my receipt- it was lost in the mail. I beleive you are supposed to carry the receipt with you, someone pointed me to a link on the INS website which said so (don\'t remember the link anymore) .My lawyer also confirmed that the receipt was required. However I did travel without it and did not encounter any problems.