Why does Fingerprint expire after 15 months? What's needed again?

dcmetro22042

Registered Users (C)
Guys:

Have a question for you all. Does anyone know why does Fingerprint expire after 15 months? What does USCIS need to do again after 15 months?

Thanks.

Good question!
Finger Print Expiring is another good excuse for USCIS not to approve old-timers:D

On a more serious note, it has something to do with the capacity of USCIS system to store Finger Print records which are more than 15 months old:)

Oh, so the USCIS fee increases is to buy more storage now :) Thanks for the info. Sucks that approval is delayed due to this. I have to go for another FP this week before I see any movement it seems. I was worried that they would start doing the security checks all over again!

Now USCIS has storage capacity but not retrieval capacity!

CIS ombudsman's report for 2007 says: Although USCIS currently has fingerprint storage capability, it cannot retrieve the prints from storage:D

Code 3 Fingerprinting is done to check against the FBI National Criminal History database. Some organizations have different requirements related to how old a check on your criminal history can be before they need to redo it.

For USCIS it seems like its 15 months. Other organizations do it on a yearly basis. Some places, like airports or child care centers (where criminal history is more of an issue) may redo the check more frequently.