Why does asylum headquarters take too long to make a final decision?

bestspark

I applied for asylum in June 2013 and then I was interviewed in October 2013 (this was my second asylum application as my first one was denied a few years ago). After the interview, the asylum officer mentioned that the application would be referred to Washington D.C. headquarters for a review and a final decision. I am wondering if it is normal to take the headquarters this long time to review an asylum application and make a final decision. One thing to add here is that I was in a valid student immigration status when I applied the first time a few years ago but I was out of status when i applied the second time. I'm represented by a good attorney but I needed to hear opinions of other asylum applicants who might have experienced the same delays. Please share your experiences, especially about those cases that were referred to Washington D.C. headquarters for a final decision. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are delays everywhere. Its not just you. Its just been 5 months for you since your interview. As for my case I went through three interviews and waiting for decision since last 13 months from the first interview and 11 months from the last interview.
So, relax and be prepared mentally to wait even if it takes more time like my case and some other people who waited couple of years.

Thank you sadsoul for your reply. I know that I am not alone on this boat, but I wanted to know if there is anyone has an asylum application pending at the asylum headquarters in Washington D.C. and if so how long the process takes to get a final decision. I wish best of luck to all of us.

Wow!! That is really a long time. I hope you will hear something soon and I also hope that my case won't take that long.

I'm wondering if there is a way to speed up getting the decision after been waiting for 1 year and 6 months ?!!
I tried call, mail and email the asylum office but no respond.
I went to them and they told me no decision made yet and we will mail you once we have the decision.
I wrote to the Senator and I got same answer.
What should I do ?

I'm wondering if there is a way to speed up getting the decision after been waiting for 1 year and 6 months ?!!
I tried call, mail and email the asylum office but no respond.
I went to them and they told me no decision made yet and we will mail you once we have the decision.
I wrote to the Senator and I got same answer.
What should I do ?

This is a tough situation to be in, waiting for all that long for a decision. I believe you have used all the major avenues in trying to get your case decision from USCIS. The next thing you would resort to is to sue ICE. There are guys in this forum who have done it in the past, but I am not certain if they won or lost that case. That being said, there are many guys in similar situation like you.

Waz!

Today I got letter from USCIS service center asking my to do a second biometric fingerprint within 14 days in the nearest USCIS office.
I did biometric fingerprint before the interview. And I been waiting for my decision 1 year 7 months for the date of the interview.
I checked the case status online and nothing there.
I checked the court 800 number and my case number dose not mach there records.
why do you thing they need a second one.

I am not sure, but I've read on these forums that a second one is usually a *good* sign. Some people posted that after their second one they shortly after received approvals. Good luck. Also at the very least it means someone is actively working on your case - which for most of us isnt true unfortunately.

Looks like you are getting approved.
From what I read, they need to update fingerprints every year.
So, once they get your fingerprints, you will receive good news soon.
Congratulations in advance.

Thank you guys, I hope so. But I am nervous. Maybe a good sign and maybe a bad sign. I'll keep my fingers crossed and pray.

Waiting

I have been to hearings 3 times and denied for not filing earlier. Judge advised my attorney to appeal to BIA in Virginia and I have been waiting for 2years now nothing is done but just believing God will do something, Any clues?

Could've been worse, my friend. A friend of mine applied for his asylum back in 2012. Had his fingerprint done in Dec' 12. Still hasn't received a notice for an Interview, let alone decision!