• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

WHY DOES AFRICA RECEIVE 20400 GCs?

ssg10

Registered Users (C)
Can somebody give me good reasons why africa is such a priority to US government in DV? 3X asia quota? I don't understand this numbering system

Region All DV Chargeability Areas Except Those Listed Separately
AFRICA AF 20,400 Ethiopia 18,950
Nigeria 12,350

ASIA AS 6,100
EUROPE EU 12,850
NORTH AMERICA (BAHAMAS) NA 10
OCEANIA OC 735
SOUTH AMERICA, and the CARIBBEAN SA 1,175

it doesnt mean absolutly that africa recieved 20400 GC , it mean cases no below 20400 may be interviewd , may be less than 10000 visas issued untell now for africa

anyway , africa indeed has a larger no. of dv visas because it has a smallest no. of immigration in other catagories of immigration such as family sponsorship or employment base immigration in th last five years, and this is the point of DIVERSITY IMMIGRATION

forget about africa and focus only about your case buddy

Yes I agree with Znaty about the lowest no of immigration compared to other countires and also I think its coz we apply the most for DV. So the more the number of applicants, the more the number of visas issued. Its on a pro rata basis.

I think Dago Red is right.
I also read somewhere something about (If I understood correctly) that a lot of Africans fail because of the education requirement, actually, consular offiers do not believe the evidence that they show about their high school diploma or evidence for two year work experience. So that is why number is so high.
Please, correct me if I am wrong.

not excatly

yeaah, u r right , but that also happened in most asian countries too , but the main effect is how many visas thay want to give to africa , if you see the final result you will see that 50% of dv visas are issued to africa

every year , 4 or 5 even 6 countries in africa has a max. ratio of 7 % of the 50.000 visas , thats mean these countries only has about 24000 visa every year already issued , they select about 6000 or 7000 winners for each country and in the end every country has 3500 visa issued

thats mean the main target is increase these countries immigration ratio , thats all

I dont quite agree with DagoRed and vk 96 the reason being that most of the people who apply for the greencard CAN afford the $755. If they have access to the internet, know about the DV surely that is not an amount that can defeat them to raise. Again here family can contribute and give you money to go. On the education level again there are 1,000s and 1,000s of people in Africa with more than highschool education. I know VERY few people who have been deined the DV and its usually becoz of family. Maybe the wife wants to go but the husband does not. Or the children birth certificates are not correct again because of family. Africans are very well informed these days. :cool:

ssg10 said:
Can somebody give me good reasons why africa is such a priority to US government in DV? 3X asia quota? I don't understand this numbering system

It's not a matter of quota. It just shows how many people from different continents take part in the lottery. Africa sends more DV entry forms than any other continent.
Bear in mind that two largest Asian countries with total population up to 2.5B people are not qualified for DV.

once again , it has not any deal with how many applicant join the lottery at all . if all africa's people join the lottery even 100 million , the same no. of visa given to africa will be issued , untill the no of african immigrant reach the required ratio of all immigrants in the past specific years

it deals with the DIVERSITY in the new immigrants in USA at first place , so that , any specific colour or tounge or national cover america with comapare to others

Last edited by a moderator:
once again , it has not any deal with how many applicant join the lottery at all . if all africa's people join the lottery even 100 million , the same no. of visa given to africa will be issued , untill the no of african immigrant reach the required ratio of all immigrants in the past specific years

it deals with the DIVERSITY in the new immigrants in USA at first place , so that , any specific colour or tounge or national cover amerivca with comapare to others