Why do employers list jobs for 2-5 years of experience

Canada2USA

Registered Users (C)
I'm looking through some job postings and I'm wondering why companies post jobs with a range of experience like that. It isn't helpful to the company. If 2 years is fine then why have a range to 5 years? Does 6 years mean you're too qualified?

This is killing me on most potential jobs I'm applying for. Many of them would be EB-2 were it not for this. Does anyone have any input on this?

I have seen employers do this for listing that have multiple positions; for example, if the ad lists programmer analysts, software engineers, and systems analysts, and then at the bottom it says that it required 2-5 years of experience, obviously, the programmer analysts and the systems analyst positions will require less experience, while the software engineer may require more. Some postings say "All positions require a Bachelor's degree minimum; some positions may require a Master's degree." It's the same scenario.

I don't know why you're saying it's "killing you" or why you're saying it's not helpful to the company. In the time of economic turmoil, it is more cost-effective to place one ad with multiple positions than to spell out the exact requirements for each designated position, which by the law, the law does NOT require that they do.

Please clarify if you have an actual question on this.