Why can't GC holders vote?

zosimus2

Registered Users (C)
Hi Folks

just wondering why cant green card holders vote in the US?

Is there a reason to it other than ur not a citizen!!!!!!

Being from a democratic country and living in the US not having the luxury to vote just kinda bothers me.

Any thoughts.

Z

I disagree to some of your points

Hi Joe

You definitely know your history what you have mentioned is insightful.
Here is what bothers me I have been in this country for 6yrs now finally got my GC. Now I have to wait another 5yrs to be able to vote. Too long in my opinion not being able to vote for 12 yrs of my life. Being a resident here I have a lot of priviliges which is nice but sucks when it comes to not being able to vote.

When you say having non citizens vote can change the outcome of the countrywide elections I will agree to that if u r referring to everyone here on a visa and permanent residents. But if it includes PR only then I think that statement may not be true because PR's are a minority and are people from all over the world so I really dont see how that could affect the outcome of a election.

At least they should give us the right to vote in local elections. Would you disagree on that?

Any thoughts.

Z

Interesting

Hi Joe

Let us do the numbers. There are approx 240million in this country. Of which from what I hear, not facts is 5% PR which is arnd 12M. Usually voter turnouts are in the range of 50 to 70% so adds up to 120M lower end. Even if we consider a scenario where the voter turnout is worst case for citizens which is 120M and best case for PR which 12M. Still is a very small percentage. Again these PR's are concentrated in specific areas like California and NE US. Maybe they might change the results a bit in these areas but not a whole lot. Again if they do change it how is it so bad democracy wins. Dont these folks have any rights to take part in their communities they are part of or have a say in the country matters.

How come 12M folks dont have a representation in the govt for them? Just a thought.

Madhu