why cannot we create a Plan B??

techy2468

Registered Users (C)
why do we have to feel so miserable because of this GC (if we are so talented??)

I can understand that most people have invested 3-5 years of their time for this process, and they do not want to even think of letting it go.

but what if there is no legislation to help our cause?.

i am interested to know others opinion on what are their Plan-B?

as for myself, my plans are as follows:

1. applied immigration for australia, total process cost $2500, around 20-30 hours of paperwork

2. will change employer after 8-12 months(if no sign of legislation) to earn more money and for better quality work (will restart GC process just as a backup)

3. jobs are getting better in india....so if one has around $150k in savings......more than half of it can be used to buy property, rest can be invested.....and its easy to get salary of Rs.6-7 lacs, in IT, and with no mortgage, no worries about saving.......one can live a comfortable life...

Note: I love usa, but they do not care for me, and i cant keep begging for justice, i hate to go to any other country, i would prefer india only because IT jobs are doing great...

My Plan B

here is my plan B.

My i-485 is not yet filed.
Decide a time frame to move to india for a year.
Meet the requirements of 1 year stay outside. Use this 1 year to take care of some investment related stuff.
Come back on a H-1 Visa after 1 year. I think a H-1 status is lot better that applied for GC status.

Of course other people who want their spouse to be able to work and some other reasons may not like this plan. But in my case i like a H-1B visa better.

My Plan B

My PD is August 2001 EB3 India so Im still hopeful to get GC soon. But because of illogical policies and dates of the visa bulletin and also unknown of number of 245 (i) cases I already have Plan B which is the following.

1) No investing in house or new car in US. Make do with apartment, old furniture and current car. Try to save max possible. I have already worked 10 yrs in US so elig for Social Security anyways.

2) Already PR of Canada. Landed in March 2005 so by new Canadian 2/5 yr residency rule will need to move in 1st qtr 2008.

3) Try to get transfer of job in Canada. I know there is negative news about Canada in the forums but I have been there twice and its not all that gloom and doom. It is the loosers who complain the most. Yes it is not US - more taxes, less jobs and slightly lower standard of living but then thats why its backup and not first choice :). Basically compared to Texas I would generalize and say that Toronto has 20% more taxes/expense and 10% less income so basically if you move there you will take 30% hit in savings. However ppl from East West cost wont find it more expensive. However it is nice place to live and raise a family. It is cold no doubt ( except for Vancouver - BC) but then even some parts of US like midwest are very cold. Person from Chicago/Minneapolis/Detroit would feel no different.

4) By staying in Canada you are close to US. You can visit friends/relatives here at any time. Once you get Canadian Citizenship no need for US visa, can come and work here on TN without problem. Canadian unemployment benefits and medical care is good - ie you know if you get laid off or really sick you wont die like US. Plus social security system of US and Canada is integrated with treaty etc so you wont loose social security benefits like if you go to India.

Yes I am in the exact same situation. Awaiting 485 filing. I come from a good family as most of us. I have started applying to Fortune Companies and other reputed companies as I can afford to do that for now.

I am also looking for a suitable matrimonial alliance by the time I will be able to file my 485.

May be after spending a few years I may be open to relocate if the spouse may be comfortable with that , a mutual decision.

Those plans SUCK!
You must not have a family, children @at School or College and you can afford to live as an irresponsible band of nomad Gypsies! :eek:

archkre

People move within US all the time for job opportunities etc, that does not make them nomads or gypsies.
This country and Canada has facilities available for those moving. I am not in software but i know most of my friends in software probably move 3-4 times while on the 6 yrs of H1 anyway.
If you have better option why dont you please share

its true that i do not have any kids in school right now........thank god for giving me this flexibility....i could not have been able to take one more dependency..

I agree with Bear23............and thats my plan.........to work on H1b......not get locked in with GC (unless i find a golden employer).

luckily my spouse has her own GC....so no worries there....

Different people .. different plans

techy2468,

You are right in that we should all have plan Bs. However these plans are going to be very different for different people. It all depends on ones personal situation I guess. People with kids in school or other dependents back home will find it extremely difficult to make alternate plans.

On a personal level, I am sick of my job and am just hanging around till I get my GC. In the mean time my wife is completing her Masters, I am thinking of a partime MBA and we are saving money. Thats our little plan. If this process doesn't work then we can move somewhere else. It is not that bad for us because we young and do not have any children yet. I can see how this can become a nightmare with kids and stuff.

With my PD in August 01 I am still hopeful of some sort of resolution. My patience is wearing very thin though.

regards,

saras76

hi guys,
My priorty date is oct 2005,from srilanka and on Eb3 i.e. retrogression side.

dont know when the dates will be current but I have my PR approved for australia. Have to go there before oct 26th 2006. If nothing works out will leave this country forever. :( .

It does. I lived as a gypsie in my first four years in the US. Old or minimal furniture, very old car, I was saving $3,000/month. I got tired of that and I now I am buying a house and enjoying life more. I had children and wife now can't work and therefore savings is not possible anymore since I need to maintain two cars, pre-school for child, finishing masters degree, etc. Moreover I took a major hit in this process, since instead of buying house earlier in the US I sent money to my home country and bought property there. Guess what, house prices turned out to be one of the best investiments in the US I missed the opportunity to make real money.

I have friends from Australia working here in the US and they tell me that Australia is "nice" but the idea is the same, market there is sluggish. Canada is one of the last places I would like to live in. I prefer my home country. The US is unique when it comes to employment opportunities. I decided that if things don't work out here I will just move to my homeland and enjoy there. I don't want to hear the word immigration anymore. You know many employers out there one way or the other take advantage of your situation and I got tired of that. Who knows if someday I have a chance to take Italian residency based on family background, I could go and live for 2-3 years in Italy. I may just for my own pleasure, because I pray to God I don't want to be submitted to this scum of seeing illegal aliens ahead of me in all benefits you can imagine and I am the one submitted to all this inconvenience.

archkre said:
Those plans SUCK!
You must not have a family, children @at School or College and you can afford to live as an irresponsible band of nomad Gypsies! :eek:

Not much choice for people with business plans

saras76 said:
techy2468,

You are right in that we should all have plan Bs. However these plans are going to be very different for different people. It all depends on ones personal situation I guess. People with kids in school or other dependents back home will find it extremely difficult to make alternate plans.

saras76

I agree Different People Different Plans.
I have met many people on H1 who have business plans & talk about getting into business venture once their GC comes.
There is not much choice for all those people who have business ideas that they would like to start here

Last edited by a moderator:
Quit America, and take all your money will you

Hello All,

I think US of A Govt and politicians needs a dose of reality. Demographics indicate that they are going to have an increasingly aging population in future, and a Social Security system and Medicare system stretched to the limit.

One easy way to solve it is by getting highly skilled immigrants, who earn a lot, pay a lot back of what they earn by way of taxes. And a good number of them start their own enterprises, thereby generating additional jobs, incomes and taxes.

But the politicians just don't seem to care and seem to understand that they are stunting and hobbling their nations future by allowing the immigration system to be so dysfunctional.

As regards the aging population, this problem is even more severe in Europe. Unless Europe does massive immigration reforms in the near future, I think they are going to have an increasingly aging population in the welfare net, with tax payers being taxed into oblivion. This is going to make their economy very uncompetitive, and will close down a lot of their businesses, further exacerbating the problem of unemployment, and a fast shrinking tax base. Obviously, at some point, Europe will have to wake up and implement massive immigration reforms, unless they want their seniors to lead a life of destitution, and their unemployed youth forever rioting on the streets (Paris and race riots in France is just a glimpse into what awaits Europe in future, unless their politicians wake up)

Now, where am I going with this -

The point is, in future, America may have massive competition from Europe to attract highly skilled immigrants. Not only that, the booming economies of India and China will make it so that not many highly skilled and talented people would want to leave and come here (face it, most of us are really not the 'best and brightest' of our countries anyways, but we are way better equipped intellectually than an average american college graduate).

It is then, that US of A might realise that the huge talent gap they require can no longer be filled.

I hope it does not come to that, and their stupid politicians wake up in time to realise the fact that immigrants, of all kinds - low and highly skilled, and especially the highly skilled ones, are a boon and not a curse for their economy, today, and will be increasingly important in the Globalised world in future.

As for me and my plan B - after having waited, for six years, without a single promotion or raise, with an ever increasing workload, underappreciated, and almost taken for granted by my employer as an indentured slave, I am reaching the end of my patience with this dysfunctional immigration system. I am waiting for this immigration reform debate to churn and settle, and once this school year ends, I will pack up, and move to India. I will make sure that I move all my financial assets to India, and hopefully contribute, however minutely, to India's future greatness, rather than slave it out here to keep America great.

God Bless America - I hope God enlightens America's politicians to do the right thing, and not drive this great country to ruin.

Fix your broken 'Legal Immigration' system first, please, please, and then maybe tackle the 'Illegal Immigrant' issue.

Excellent points ...

marin_count said:
Hello All,

I think US of A Govt and politicians needs a dose of reality. Demographics indicate that they are going to have an increasingly aging population in future, and a Social Security system and Medicare system stretched to the limit.

One easy way to solve it is by getting highly skilled immigrants, who earn a lot, pay a lot back of what they earn by way of taxes. And a good number of them start their own enterprises, thereby generating additional jobs, incomes and taxes.

But the politicians just don't seem to care and seem to understand that they are stunting and hobbling their nations future by allowing the immigration system to be so dysfunctional.

As regards the aging population, this problem is even more severe in Europe. Unless Europe does massive immigration reforms in the near future, I think they are going to have an increasingly aging population in the welfare net, with tax payers being taxed into oblivion. This is going to make their economy very uncompetitive, and will close down a lot of their businesses, further exacerbating the problem of unemployment, and a fast shrinking tax base. Obviously, at some point, Europe will have to wake up and implement massive immigration reforms, unless they want their seniors to lead a life of destitution, and their unemployed youth forever rioting on the streets (Paris and race riots in France is just a glimpse into what awaits Europe in future, unless their politicians wake up)

The point is, in future, America may have massive competition from Europe to attract highly skilled immigrants. Not only that, the booming economies of India and China will make it so that not many highly skilled and talented people would want to leave and come here (face it, most of us are really not the 'best and brightest' of our countries anyways, but we are way better equipped intellectually than an average american college graduate).

It is then, that US of A might realise that the huge talent gap they require can no longer be filled.

I hope it does not come to that, and their stupid politicians wake up in time to realise the fact that immigrants, of all kinds - low and highly skilled, and especially the highly skilled ones, are a boon and not a curse for their economy, today, and will be increasingly important in the Globalised world in future.

As for me and my plan B - after having waited, for six years, without a single promotion or raise, with an ever increasing workload, underappreciated, and almost taken for granted by my employer as an indentured slave, I am reaching the end of my patience with this dysfunctional immigration system. I am waiting for this immigration reform debate to churn and settle, and once this school year ends, I will pack up, and move to India. I will make sure that I move all my financial assets to India, and hopefully contribute, however minutely, to India's future greatness, rather than slave it out here to keep America great.

God Bless America - I hope God enlightens America's politicians to do the right thing, and not drive this great country to ruin.

Fix your broken 'Legal Immigration' system first, please, please, and then maybe tackle the 'Illegal Immigrant' issue.

marin_count,

You have made some great points. I totally agree that most western nations are digging their own graves. They have lost touch with reality and are making shortsighted laws that are going to haunt them in the future. The name of the game these days is short-term political gain. Everything else is secondary.

saras76

I am on my plan B already. I gave up on my GC hope, when 9 others except me who were the part of a group LC got their GCs during the end of 2004. I quit my dead end job, took independent contracts. Went back to school finished my B-school, which i took a break from. Now I work in Finance with my old EAD. Technically it is not right to work on anything other than Programmer / Analyst which i applied my GC for. But hey, there is also one life to live for.

marin_count said:
Hello All,

Marlon,
Why do you think Canada is such a bad place ? Agreed it is cold, standard of living is not high as the US, and taxes are high. However if you already have a good job it is a good life and lifestyle. Plus once you have a canadian passport you can come and go and live in US anytime.
Can you give me some more insight as to why you hate Canada so much.

Thanks

saras...you got it right..........politics is all about the next election.....and pleasing your allies in the middle..........nobody cares about future of country anymore.....and i do not blame them for that........we humans are engineered for self centered approach..

marin_count said:

The future is quite different ... in future USA will not need more talented workers .. but more unskilled types ... and most politicians are not stupid ... the main stream policy matter are generally guided by scholars and think tanks.
.... most of the manufacturing will be done in China... US might not be making cars even in next 20 years and the Boeing might shift most of the manufacturing to China... Most of the design might move on to China or India.
Main stream R&D might stay in US .... but they might be outsourced in parts to cheaper countries.

Well you may ask .. if all job go out ... where will US get it greens from...

I think US will become more and more serviced based country... they are asking every country in the globe to open up there market .. so that cheaper good will flow to US and value added expensive goods like insurance, banks, military equipment and support will move into there country.

It will be like this .. Company A based in Atlanta, manfactures a product in China, product is designed in India and company A sells most of the product to Middle East. The majority of the profit will be with Company A in Atlanta. So that is win win for US ... Let China and India pollute there environment for little greens.
In the entire loop ... there is not much need for talented guys ... well if they need some highly talented guys they are always make a special provision to get him in.

But US would need many more guys from cheap countries to take care of construction works, old age care,nurses, physical therapist, hotel workers etc etc

As long as most of the international trades are in Dollars, and util dollars remains a Fiat currency... and with military might .. US will remain at the top for long time to come.

garam.chadi..........what u say makes sense............but do you really think politicians listen to scholars and think tanks........from what i have seen....
politics is very short term.......
try to please the masses get vote.....
try to please the lobbyists get funding for election....so that masses can be fooled with good propaganda.......
try to make money(mostly indirect way) for self and family and friends...

Sure. I don't hate Canada. It is a fine country. It just doesn't suit my needs. I want to say this is very subjective. My own home country is not bad when it comes to amenities, therefore personally I wouldn't go to Canada for that reason. Canada is cold as hell and many people gives up from going there for that reason as well. See survey at The Economist.

I lived there for a year or so and I've got permanent residency there. It is a known fact Canada does not provide significant employment opportunities, what most young and productive people in this thread is looking for. Regarding the ability to live in Canada to come to the US, that doesn't mean a lot to me since the visa available to NAFTA is non-immigrant and I have friends who are Canadian citizens that tell me process doesn't work well in the end. Once I was there I experienced what the meaning what "Canadian experience" means; it looked to me that some employers tend to discrimate between Canadian Citizens and permanent residents. That happens because the economy is so sluggish that employers have a chance to play that game there - or the economy is sluggish because the business culture and government style is that way.

texancanadian said:
Marlon,
Why do you think Canada is such a bad place ? Agreed it is cold, standard of living is not high as the US, and taxes are high. However if you already have a good job it is a good life and lifestyle. Plus once you have a canadian passport you can come and go and live in US anytime.
Can you give me some more insight as to why you hate Canada so much.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: