White House Wants To Eliminate Family Based Greencards

I don't think 300 million people can be considered "underpopulated", regardless of the size. If anything, India and China are overpopulated.

I'm all for increasing skilled workers' immigration and eliminating extended family.

Its very sad to see people who are willing to sacrifice their family for the sake of a greencard. Look at the real Americans, what makes them so relaxed....the bonding of the family....Not because some of us come from countries where our family is segregated meant that we must impose it upon the Americans who beleive in family unification.

Suppose the Whitehouse is to say we will train our workforce for free to meet most of our employment needs and scarp the eb3 and eb2 categories, I know for sure that you will all cry foul and you all will prefer to stay illegal here than to go back home. Point is be humane.

Rather than arguing over if you are for or against this reform before even it comes, lets wait to see how the White House moves. Its all speculation at this point. Lets take our energy and focus in on something positive!

Dr.Lha - if you mad at your brother or sister or other relatives and VERY jeloous because they can get aGC through you then it shouldn't apply to other people who really want to be a HUMAN and help the family members if they want to!!! BE A MAN NOT A TRASH AND JELOUS TO OTHER! YOU SHOULD BE ASHAME OF YOURSLEF FOR THIS TYPE OF THINKING!

Dr.Lha - if you mad at your brother or sister or other relatives and VERY jeloous because they can get aGC through you then it shouldn't apply to other people who really want to be a HUMAN and help the family members if they want to!!! BE A MAN NOT A TRASH AND JELOUS TO OTHER! YOU SHOULD BE ASHAME OF YOURSLEF FOR THIS TYPE OF THINKING!
Shut up. Seriously. I'm sorry but if you decide to move to a foriegn country your the one who made the decision to leave your family behind. I don't see why the USA should import your whole family with you just because of your bad decision to leave them.

Shut up. Seriously. I'm sorry but if you decide to move to a foriegn country your the one who made the decision to leave your family behind. I don't see why the USA should import your whole family with you just because of your bad decision to leave them.

I agree.

dr_lha and others are good posters and I don't mean to personally attack anyone here.

However, not all H1 workers are 'skilled.' The biggest reason they are hired is to lower the salary of domestic workers. They can get PhD candidates and other smart researchers but they are getting people to just do regular IT jobs ... nothing special.

If millions of illegals can cross into country why can't citizens have the right to bring their family here?

dr_lha and others are good posters and I don't mean to personally attack anyone here.
Its OK, no offense is taken at all. Its a debate.
However, not all H1 workers are 'skilled.' The biggest reason they are hired is to lower the salary of domestic workers.
This is the fault of the Department of State. H-1Bs are supposed to pass a "prevailing wage" test, which is designed to stop this from happening. The idea is that the H-1B employer has to prove that they are paying the employee at the going rate, and not just using them for cheap labor. A great idea, however DoS have screwed it up by using ridiculous numbers. The last time I had the prevailing wage report done for me, DoS stated that the going rate for my job was $30,000 less than they were offering, and I'm not paid that well, to be honest. $30,000 less than I get now, supporting me and my wife, isn't too far above the poverty limit. This for a job that *requires* a PhD. If DOS did their job properly H-1Bs as cheap labour wouldn't be an issue.
They can get PhD candidates and other smart researchers but they are getting people to just do regular IT jobs ... nothing special.
H-1B does at least have minimum education requirements, and you are required to provide proof of this education to USCIS with the H-1B. I'm not saying what you said doesn't happen, but there are also a lot of super smart people coming over on H-1B that do the country good. Not to toot my own horn, but I myself have spent the last 8 years in service to a certain federal government agency for example.
If millions of illegals can cross into country why can't citizens have the right to bring their family here?
Illegals are that: Illegal. They're breaking the law, you can't use that to justify anything.

Look, maybe its a cultural thing, but I just don't see the justification why someone's move to another country should get immigration benefits for brothers and sisters. My brother and I live independant successful lives, if he wants to move to the USA, he could do so on the basis of his own qualities, he doesn't need a free pass from me.

Dr Iha

Dr. Iha, I must say that you are one of the best posters on this forum, your openess for dialogue says alot about as well as your ability to shrugg off critisim. However I will not agree with you in saying that family sponsorship of grown children and parents must be banned....remember as I say you will need you children at sometimes in your life......how nice is it to see your grand kids growing up...you cant stay here and see them growing up in India sometimes suffering innocently.....no matter how much money you sent to them, having them here is better off for you and them. But I want to agree with you on the sibling aspect.

However, you have not still given your input on the question.....being if the Whitehouse was to have its way and bar family based, do you think it will affect those in the system or just future filers? because alot those have gone through different stages of processing.

But I want to agree with you on the sibling aspect.
To be fair my position on parents is a lot softer, I can see the reasons why people would want to get them green cards, especially in terms of the need to take care of ones parents in their old age. I'm willing to be convinced. Less so on adult children to be honest, and siblings I don't think anyone could convince me on! Moving to the USA is a choice after all, nobody is required to move here. I think there is a sense of entitlement with a lot of immigrants that the USA should allow their extended family to come here. Immigration is a benefit, not a right.
However, you have not still given your input on the question.....being if the Whitehouse was to have its way and bar family based, do you think it will affect those in the system or just future filers? because alot those have gone through different stages of processing.
Well being as whether this happens is or not right now is total speculation, its hard to say. However I would imagine that if this change was made, those in the system would remain so.

That said, I'm highly doubtful they will make this change, and the Phillipino press is just getting their knickers in a knot for no good reason.