Which one do you use when you re-enter Canada, Canada PR or US GC/H1?

mgyuan

Registered Users (C)
I have been watching posts in this category for about two weeks, but haven\'t seen a right solution to my following question. I apologize to those who does not have or is not going to have both Canadian PR and US GC/H1.
The question is: when you re-enter Canada, which document will you present to the Canadian officier, Canadian PR or US GC/H1??? Sometime, you may not have show them anything, but at least you have to answer to their first question - what is your citizenship? Will you say "landed Canadian immigrant" or "US permanent resident"?
I think this is a very cretical problem for those who is in the same situation as me. I would appreciate it if any one can share any good or bad experience. Thanks!

Depends on what you want to keep

I entered into Canada last month by drive with my friends. At the port, the officer asked us to get our information and so we showed our GC card. Then he asked us about our citizenship. Of course, we said our citizenship is where the country issued the passport, for sure not US or Canada. Then he said what kind of trip, where we stayed, how many days, etc. I notified that he didn\'t really read our GC cards and only hold in his hand and asked us those questions. Then, he said bye to us. No computer key in. I think only when they send you to the office, then they will have computers inside there. Also, they will have some tricky questions and try to trap you. So, you need to be very careful to answer the questions. Don\'t look liked scared or nervous, just wear any casual cloth liked a tourist. That\'s my suggestion! Good luck!

From which port did you enter Canada? Did you carry the both GC & PR in the trip?

Hi hk_girl,

Do you mind to tell me from which port you entered Canada (Seattle, Detroit, or Niagara)? Some people said that they had bad experience in Detroit port.

If you do not mind, can you tell me why you and your friends decided not to use Canadian PR to enter Canada? Actually, I was thinking to do so for my next trip to Vancouver. Maybe the way I was think is wrong.

Also, would you like to tell me if yuo carried only US GC or the both of GC and PR in the trip? If you carry the both, they may check your baggages and then find you have PR also (I had this experience last year).

No Title

hk_girl,
Did you drive your own car or rental car?
Usually at border post, before you open your mouth they know
who is the owner of the car & other details.

My experience....

I entered into Seattle border and we rented a car. The officer did not ask us any question about the car. I think it really depends on that officer. We did not carry any other passport but only US GC. If he did not let us in because we did not bring any passport, we will go back to Seattle for travel. Honestly, I don\'t really think at the border (not in the custom office) will have the computer set up, otherwise, it must take a very long waiting time for each car. I believe only if you\'re not a Canadian PR or US GC holder, when you drive to the port, usually they will send you to the office to get a stamp (may also check your record). We went there on Sat around 6pm, only few cars were waiting on each line. Good luck!

Has any of you applied Canadian citizenship with less than 3 yrs residency in Canada?

Theoretically it is not allowed to be give the Canadian citizenship if the applicant did not stayed in Canada for at least 3 years. However, has any of you pllied or heard that your friend has applied Canadian citizenship if he or she was in the US? How does the Canadian government check your residency if you did not fly to the US?

I am trying to apply ...

I haven\'t started the process...but planning to start..Since I got my PR in june\'98... But I have not been physically present in Canada all this time..I am assuming that I can apply for it since there is no record that I am here in US..
You can share your views with me if you know more about it...Do u know is there anyway that the Canada Govt can track us.

They will ask you to show evidence of residence such as tax return, phone bill, and credit card paym

I heard some people was asked to give the officier evidence of your residence for past three years, such as tax return, phone bill, credit card payment and so on. They may also check your passport to see if you have records of departing from/arriving in foreign countries. Some times they will check flight records from airline comoany not only depart from/arrive in Canada airport, but also depart from/arrive in any US airport. I heard some one was realy unluck and had problem in the interview.

That is the reason I did not apply for a Canadian citizenship even I landed to Canada in the end of 1996. Autually I have been living in Vancouver for about 2 years, but am still wondering if it is worth taking the risk. If the application was rejected and then they inform the US INS, I will have problem to apply a US citizenship few years later.

Can any one share your experience or thoughts? Thanks!

Really???

Will Canada really inform US if they disapprove the Canadian citizenship apply? But then, will US INS also disapprove the US citizenship apply becuase of this issue?

hk_girl , it really depends where you have actually stayed..

if you can prove your US or Canada residency beyond anydoubt just having another country\'s PR is not reason alone to deny citizenship.
My lawyer said that one can in theroy keep both PRs for 6 months and then you will need to have give up one or the other.
Also could you please let me know , in your recent entry to canada, did you use the Peace Arch crossing ( I-5) or the truck crossing nearby ? I am trying to get a house in BC and commute once in a while to the USA ( mainly telecommute ) . Also did they ask you how long have you been away from Canada ?
regards
tt tt

tt tt,....

so what u mean is that if I stay all time in US, even I apply Canadian citizenship is failed, I still ok to apply for US citienship? Last time I entered into Canada from I-5. I used my US GC to enter, so the officer only asked me how long for my trip in Canada. And, I didn\'t get any stamp on passport.

theoretically one can have two PR if you keep residence half year with the each country, however...

I heard that one of my friend\'s friend Canadian PR was surrendered by a Canadian official at Detroit/Windsor port. At that time, he used his US GC but by some reason they fund his has a Canadian PR. They said one can not have two PR and you have to give up either of one. I guess that the official would not just simply said that you can not have two. However, that guy could not prove his residence in Canada.

What I heard is that if Canada gov discovered you were actually living in the US, not only they will not approve your application for the citizenship, but also they will inform the US thay you made lie to the Canadian gov. Therefore, what I meant in my previous post is that you may have problem in the application for the US citizenship if they know you made lie to the Canadian gov (not because you applied for the Canadian citizenship).

I was not sure about what I heard. However, I have been living in Vancouver (actually Surrey) for almost 2 years, and as you can guess I heard many stories from different people.