Which line to stand in with AP/ Spouse with GC

aaifor

Registered Users (C)
I have a GC and my wife has an AP.

Can we stand in the line for USC/GC or do we have to stand in 2 separate lines, i.e., me in USC/GC and she in the Others line?

If so can I accompany her in secondary inspection?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not illegal to stand in the same line, but since one of you is not a USC/PR then I would stand in the visitor's line if I were you. The officers in the visitor's lanes are used to letting through USC/PR children of parents who are on visas. It's safer for a PR to stand in the visitor's line than for a visitor to stand in the USC line.

I think it does not make a difference.

When we entered using AP (our daugther is a USC), we decided to stand in the visitors line. However since the USC line was empty, they actually asked us to move there.

Also, with using AP - there is no processing itself that the IO does in the line. IO simply puts in an envelope and sends you for secondary review anyway. So you might as well join the shorter line.

Update
-----------
Stood with wife in "Visitors" Lane.

Officer looked at my GC and stamped arrival.

The officer photographed and fingerprinted the wife. Then asked us to go to secondary inspection for her. There it took 5 mins wait and got 512-L stamped on her I-94. NO questions asked.

Very smooth process and fast, probably because of less rush on a week day.

PS: This was at SFO