Which form should be used for my daughter N-400 or N-600

ryannj

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I have a question for apply Citizenship My family will apply Citizenship as 5 years Green Card. My daughter is 17years old now. Which form is for her? N-400 is for 18 years old and N-600 is for Parents as Citizen. Do we need to wait she as 18.

Thank you very much.

If your daughter is under 18 when either of her parents take oath, then she is automatically a US citizen and no additional filing is required with USCIS.
N-600 is just to get a certificate of citizenship but is NOT a requirement in your daughter's case if she remains under 18 when either of her parents take oath.

If she turns 18 BEFORE either parent takes oath, then she will have to apply on her own by filing N-400.

If your daughter is under 18 when either of her parents take oath, then she is automatically a US citizen and no additional filing is required with USCIS.
N-600 is just to get a certificate of citizenship but is NOT a requirement in your daughter's case if she remains under 18 when either of her parents take oath.

If she turns 18 BEFORE either parent takes oath, then she will have to apply on her own by filing N-400.

Thank you nkm-oct23.

Hope we get oath before she turn 18(Next year).
Could my wife's and my applications put in one envelop?

Thanks again.

If possible I would put each application in its own envelope and both of them inside a third envelope. If either you or your wife naturalizes before your daughter turns 18 she will become a citizen automatically. N-600 is optional, but might be useful for her in the future, as either additional proof of citizenship or in rare cases in which it seems that a US passport is not enough proof of citizenship. Anyway, N-600 should only be filed after (could be the day after) she becomes a citizen through your naturalization. By the way, I assume she is in the US with a Green Card.

If possible I would put each application in its own envelope and both of them inside a third envelope. If either you or your wife naturalizes before your daughter turns 18 she will become a citizen automatically. N-600 is optional, but might be useful for her in the future, as either additional proof of citizenship or in rare cases in which it seems that a US passport is not enough proof of citizenship. Anyway, N-600 should only be filed after (could be the day after) she becomes a citizen through your naturalization. By the way, I assume she is in the US with a Green Card.

Thank you. Huracan

Yes. My daughter live with us and has green card.
After my wife or me get naturalizes. How can we apply passport for my daughter. Do we have to apply her passport before she turns 18 or we could do late after she turns 18.

Thanks.

Thank you. Huracan

Yes. My daughter live with us and has green card.
After my wife or me get naturalizes. How can we apply passport for my daughter. Do we have to apply her passport before she turns 18 or we could do late after she turns 18.

Thanks.

If you or your wife gets naturalized before your daughter turns 18, you can apply for a passport for her at any time after that point (you can do it right away or 10 years later, or whenever, it'll be up to you). Her age at the time of applying for passport is irrelevant. However she must not apply for a passport before becoming a U.S. citizen.

To get your daughter her first passport, you and your wife will need to come to the passport application facility (usually at a post office) with your daughter, bring your marriage certificate, your daughter's birth certificate, your daughter's green card, and the naturalization certificate of at least one of the parents.
This will be sufficient for your daughter to be issued a passport, provided the date on the naturalization certificate of at least one of the parents is earlier than the date of your daughter's 18th birthday.

I would also suggest that when you and your wife submit your N-400 applications, you enclose a cover letter asking for expedited processing. Explain in the letter that your daughter is soon turning 18 and that you would like to be naturalized before that happens, so that your daughter does not age out of deriving automatic citizenship under the Child Citizenship Act. As far as I know, USCIS does consider the age-out situation like yours to be a valid reason for expediting N-400 applications.

To get your daughter her first passport, you and your wife will need to come to the passport application facility (usually at a post office) with your daughter, bring your marriage certificate, your daughter's birth certificate, your daughter's green card, and the naturalization certificate of at least one of the parents.
However, if she is 18 when applying for a passport, none of her parents need to accompany her, although she will need the relevant documents from her parents.
I would also suggest that when you and your wife submit your N-400 applications, you enclose a cover letter asking for expedited processing. Explain in the letter that your daughter is soon turning 18 and that you would like to be naturalized before that happens, so that your daughter does not age out of deriving automatic citizenship under the Child Citizenship Act. As far as I know, USCIS does consider the age-out situation like yours to be a valid reason for expediting N-400 applications.
Expediting for aging out reasons won't happen here, as the daughter will be immediately eligible to apply for citizenship on her own on her 18th birthday if none of her parents naturalize before that. They'll only do age-out expediting when an individual would lose an immigration benefit or have an enormous delay from aging out, such as a child without a green card who is about to turn 21.

Expediting for aging out reasons won't happen here, as the daughter will be immediately eligible to apply for citizenship on her own on her 18th birthday if none of her parents naturalize before that. They'll only do age-out expediting when an individual would lose an immigration benefit or have an enormous delay from aging out, such as a child without a green card who is about to turn 21.

I am not sure about that. In any case, it can't hurt to ask for expedited processing. At worst, they'll ignore such a request, but they might actually honor it.

If you or your wife gets naturalized before your daughter turns 18, you can apply for a passport for her at any time after that point (you can do it right away or 10 years later, or whenever, it'll be up to you). Her age at the time of applying for passport is irrelevant. However she must not apply for a passport before becoming a U.S. citizen.

This will be sufficient for your daughter to be issued a passport, provided the date on the naturalization certificate of at least one of the parents is earlier than the date of your daughter's 18th birthday.

Thank you very much.
I am not sure " However she must not apply for a passport before becoming a U.S. citizen." In this case I will think when my daughter apply the passport and receive it. Then she is U.S. citizen. Is it Right?

Thanks.

Thank you very much.
I am not sure " However she must not apply for a passport before becoming a U.S. citizen." In this case I will think when my daughter apply the passport and receive it. Then she is U.S. citizen. Is it Right?

Thanks.

Your daughter will become a U.S. citizen at the moment one of her parents gets naturalized, provided that this happens before her 18th birthday. She can apply for a U.S. passport any time after that, but not earlier.

If both parents get naturalized after your daughter turns 18, then she will have to file her own N-400 and will only become a U.S. citizen when that N-400 is approved.

Your daughter will become a U.S. citizen at the moment one of her parents gets naturalized, provided that this happens before her 18th birthday. She can apply for a U.S. passport any time after that, but not earlier.

If both parents get naturalized after your daughter turns 18, then she will have to file her own N-400 and will only become a U.S. citizen when that N-400 is approved.

Thank you baikal3.

I got it.

At worst, they'll ignore such a request, but they might actually honor it.
At worst, instead of immediately processing it they'll transfer the case to somebody higher up with the authority to accept or reject expedite requests. Then that person will review it, see that it doesn't qualify, and then someday they'll send it back down for regular processing. Those extra steps can create delays. Expediting is granted in very limited circumstances and should not be requested in a case like this where it is clearly not going to be approved; there is no hardship, loss of an immigration benefit, nor significant delay of an immigration benefit if the parent's naturalization is not completed before the daughter's 18th birthday.

Last edited by a moderator: