Which Form should be filled for MTR

Hidden_man

Registered Users (C)
Guys,
I am about the file an MTR. Could anybody guide me which form should be filled with the paperwork??

Thanks

Guys,
I know many of you have a good knowledge about it. Please share your knowledge on this one too.
Thanks

Your lawyer is doing good job. It is good to make MTR rather then appeal:

A motion to reopen must state the new facts that are to be provided in the reopened proceeding and must be accompanied by affidavits or other documentary evidence. A motion to reconsider must establish that the decision was based on an incorrect application of law or USCIS policy, and further establish that the decision was incorrect based on the evidence in the file at the time the decision was made. Any motion to reopen or reconsider must be filed with the correct fee within 30 days of the decision.

This may then be followed by another appeal.

See it gives your case an edge. Rejections are rarely done without careful consideration. There must be something in your case(I am not aware of facts) that is not presenting facts in a way that your case could be approved. Let her file MTR. She is quoting right amount for the application. The application that she will be filing is I290B. Form I290A is discontinued. Check:

http://uscis.gov/lpBin/lpext.dll/inserts/fr/fr-96281/fr-100833/fr-100835?f=templates&fn=document-frame.htm#fr-69fr20528

The fees for I290B is $120.

And what is the law?

Sec. 103.3 Denials, appeals, and precedent decisions.

(a) Denials and appeals--

(1) General--

(i) Denial of application or petition. When a Service officer denies an application or petition filed under Sec. 103.2 of this part, the officer shall explain in writing the specific reasons for denial. If Form I - 292 (a denial form including notification of the right of appeal) is used to notify the applicant or petitioner, the duplicate of Form I-292 constitutes the denial order.

(ii) Appealable decisions. Certain unfavorable decisions on applications, petitions, and other types of cases may be appealed. Decisions under the appellate jurisdiction of the Board of Immigration Appeals (Board) are listed in Sec. 3.1(b) of this chapter. Decisions under the appellate jurisdiction of the Associate Commissioner, Examinations, are listed in Sec. 103.1(f)(2) of this part.

(iii) Appeal--

(A) Jurisdiction. When an unfavorable decision may be appealed, the official making the decision shall state the appellate jurisdiction and shall furnish the appropriate appeal form.

(B) Meaning of "affected party." For purposes of this section and Sec.Sec. 103.4 and 103.5 of this part, "affected party" (in addition to the Service) means the person or entity with legal standing in a proceeding. It does not include the beneficiary of a visa petition. An affected party may be represented by an attorney or representative in accordance with part 292 of this chapter.

(C) Record of proceeding. An appeal and any croff-appeal or briefs become part of the record of proceeding.

(D) Appeal filed by Service officer in case within jurisdiction of Board. If an appeal is filed by a Service officer, a copy must be served on the affected party.

(iv) Function of Administrative Appeals Unit (AAU). The AAU is the appellate body which considers cases under the appellate jurisdiction of the Associate Commissioner, Examinations. (TM 5/90)

(v) Summary dismissal. An officer to whom an appeal is taken shall summarily dismiss any appeal when the party concerned fails to identify specifically any erroneous conclusion of law or statement of fact for the appeal. The filing by an attorney or representative accredited under 8 CFR 292.2(d) of an appeal which is summarily dismissed under this section may constitute frivolous behavior as defined in 8 CFR 292.3(a)(15). Summary dismissal of an appeal under Sec. 103.3(a)(1)(v) in no way limits the other grounds and procedures for disciplinary action against attorneys or representatives provided in 8 CFR 292.2 or in any other statute or regulation.

(2) AAU appeals in other than special agricultural worker and legalization cases.

(i) Filing appeal. The affected party shall file an appeal on Form I-290B. Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, the affected party must pay the fee required by Sec. 103.7 of this part. The affected party shall file the complete appeal including any supporting brief with the office where the unfavorable decision was made within 30 days after service of the decision.

(ii) Reviewing official. The official who made the unfavorable decision being appealed shall review the appeal unless the affected party moves to a new jurisdiction. In that instance, the official who has jurisdiction over such a proceeding in that geographic location shall review it.

(iii) Favorable action instead of forwarding appeal to AAU. The reviewing official shall decide whether or not favorable action is warranted. Within 45 days of receipt of the appeal, the reviewing official may treat the appeal as a motion to reopen or reconsider and take favorable action. However, that official is not precluded from reopening a proceeding or reconsidering a decision on his or her own motion under Sec. 103.5(a)(5)(i) of this part in order to make a new decision favorable to the affected party after 45 days of receipt of the appeal.

(iv) Forwarding appeal to AAU. If the reviewing official will not be taking favorable action or decides favorable action is not warranted, that official shall promptly forward the appeal and the relating record of proceeding to the AAU in Washington, DC.

(ii) Form I - 694, Notice of Appeal, in triplicate, shall be used to file the appeal, and must be accompanied by the appropriate fee. Form I - 694 shall be furnished with the notice of denial at the time of service on the alien.

(iii) Upon receipt of an appeal, the administrative record will be forwarded to the Administrative Appeals Unit as provided by Sec. 103.1(f)(2) of this part for review and decision. The decision on the appeal shall be in writing, and if the appeal is dismissed, shall include a final notice of ineligibility. A copy of the decision shall be served upon the petitioner and his or her attorney or representative of record. No further administrative appeal shall lie from this decision, nor may the petition be filed or reopened before an immigration judge or the Board of Immigration Appeals during exclusion or deportation proceedings.

(iv) Any appeal which is filed that: fails to state the reason for the appeal; is filed solely on the basis of a denial for failure to file the petition for adjustment of status under Part 210a of this title in a timely manner; or is patently frivolous, will be summarily dismissed. An appeal received after the thirty (30) day period has tolled will not be accepted for processing. (TM 9/89)

(b) Oral argument regarding appeal before AAU--

(1) Request. If the affected party desires oral argument, the affected party must explain in writing specifically why oral argument is necessary. For such a request to be considered, it must be submitted within the time allowed for meeting other requirements.

(2) Decision about oral argument. The Service has sole authority to grant or deny a request for oral argument. Upon approval of a request for oral argument, the AAU shall set the time, date, place, and conditions of oral argument. (TM 5/90)

(c) Service precedent decisions. The Secretary of Homeland Security, or specific officials of the Department of Homeland Security designated by the Secretary with the concurrence of the Attorney General, may file with the Attorney General decisions relating to the administration of the immigration laws of the United States for publication as precedent in future proceedings, and upon approval of the Attorney General as to the lawfulness of such decision, the Director of the Executive Office for Immigration Review shall cause such decisions to be published in the same manner as decisions of the Board and the Attorney General. In addition to Attorney General and Board decisions referred to in § 1003.1(g) of chapter V, designated Service decisions are to serve as precedents in all proceedings involving the same issue (s). Except as these decisions may be modified or overruled by later precedent decisions, they are binding on all Service employees in the administration of the Act. Precedent decisions must be published and made available to the public as described in § 103.9(a) of this part. (Amended 2/28/03; 68 FR 9824)

[31 FR 3062, Feb. 24, 1966, as amended at 37 FR 927, Jan. 21, 1972; 48 FR 36441, Aug. 11, 1983; 49 FR 7355, Feb. 29, 1984; 52 FR 16192, May 1, 1987; 54 FR 29881, July 17, 1989]

Why you were not asked to fill I290B?

Only the person that submitted the original application or petition may file the appeal. The petitioner alone has standing to appeal the denial of a visa petition. The beneficiary of a visa petition may not appeal the decision. For instance, if a United States employer petitioned for an immigrant visa for an employee living abroad, only the United States employer may appeal the denial. The employee living abroad may not appeal the denial.

The person appealing the decision may be represented by an attorney or representative. If the petitioner is represented, the appeal must be accompanied by a properly executed USCIS Form G-28 (Notice of Entry or Appearance as Attorney or Representative). The Form G-28 must be signed by both the attorney or representative and the person who filed the original petition or application.

Your employer will do it for you.

How Do I Appeal?
You should review the Form I-292 or notice of denial that accompanied the adverse decision to determine whether you may appeal the denial of your petition or application. The decision will inform you of the proper appellate jurisdiction and provide you with the correct form.

If you desire to appeal the denial of a petition or application, the notice of appeal must be filed within 30 days of the date of the decision. If you receive the decision by mail, you must file the appeal within 33 days of the date of the decision. If you wish to appeal the revocation of an approved immigrant petition, you must file the appeal within 15 days of the date of the decision, or within 18 days of the date of the decision if the decision is received by mail.

Hope it helps. And sorry again for being late.

UN, JK
This world is good because of people like you those who help others. Thank you so much for this information.
Regards

Jharkhandi said:
(b) Oral argument regarding appeal before AAU--

(1) Request. If the affected party desires oral argument, the affected party must explain in writing specifically why oral argument is necessary. For such a request to be considered, it must be submitted within the time allowed for meeting other requirements.

(2) Decision about oral argument. The Service has sole authority to grant or deny a request for oral argument. Upon approval of a request for oral argument, the AAU shall set the time, date, place, and conditions of oral argument. (TM 5/90)

(c) Service precedent decisions. The Secretary of Homeland Security, or specific officials of the Department of Homeland Security designated by the Secretary with the concurrence of the Attorney General, may file with the Attorney General decisions relating to the administration of the immigration laws of the United States for publication as precedent in future proceedings, and upon approval of the Attorney General as to the lawfulness of such decision, the Director of the Executive Office for Immigration Review shall cause such decisions to be published in the same manner as decisions of the Board and the Attorney General. In addition to Attorney General and Board decisions referred to in § 1003.1(g) of chapter V, designated Service decisions are to serve as precedents in all proceedings involving the same issue (s). Except as these decisions may be modified or overruled by later precedent decisions, they are binding on all Service employees in the administration of the Act. Precedent decisions must be published and made available to the public as described in § 103.9(a) of this part. (Amended 2/28/03; 68 FR 9824)

[31 FR 3062, Feb. 24, 1966, as amended at 37 FR 927, Jan. 21, 1972; 48 FR 36441, Aug. 11, 1983; 49 FR 7355, Feb. 29, 1984; 52 FR 16192, May 1, 1987; 54 FR 29881, July 17, 1989]

Why you were not asked to fill I290B?

Only the person that submitted the original application or petition may file the appeal. The petitioner alone has standing to appeal the denial of a visa petition. The beneficiary of a visa petition may not appeal the decision. For instance, if a United States employer petitioned for an immigrant visa for an employee living abroad, only the United States employer may appeal the denial. The employee living abroad may not appeal the denial.

The person appealing the decision may be represented by an attorney or representative. If the petitioner is represented, the appeal must be accompanied by a properly executed USCIS Form G-28 (Notice of Entry or Appearance as Attorney or Representative). The Form G-28 must be signed by both the attorney or representative and the person who filed the original petition or application.

Your employer will do it for you.

How Do I Appeal?
You should review the Form I-292 or notice of denial that accompanied the adverse decision to determine whether you may appeal the denial of your petition or application. The decision will inform you of the proper appellate jurisdiction and provide you with the correct form.

If you desire to appeal the denial of a petition or application, the notice of appeal must be filed within 30 days of the date of the decision. If you receive the decision by mail, you must file the appeal within 33 days of the date of the decision. If you wish to appeal the revocation of an approved immigrant petition, you must file the appeal within 15 days of the date of the decision, or within 18 days of the date of the decision if the decision is received by mail.

Hope it helps. And sorry again for being late.

JK,
Thanks for so much info. I just got done reading it. Now I have more questions than before.
My employer has signed the G-28. All other supporting paperwork was also submitted but It did not have any form accompaning ( No 290B or any other). Lawyer has just filed it with her letter to USCIS. I was just trying to figure out if that is right.
We have very good supporting documentation to overcome the ability to pay with UnitedNations guidance. The only worry I am left with is if the lawyer was suppose to file any form while replying to MTR.

Regards

unitednations said:
form 290a doesn't exist.

copied this from another web-site. It looks like all you have to do is in the letter specify the motion to reopen and make sure you quote the receipt # of the application you are requesting the motion to reopen (ie., 140 eac #)

I researched this issue and it once again showed how little these Immigration Hotline people actually know. The entry in the Adjudicators Field Manual (as downloaded today from BCIS) is as follows:
10.17 Motions to Reopen or Reconsider.
(a) General.
(b) Motion Filed by Applicant or Petitioner. A motion filed by the applicant or petitioner for consideration by the Service or the BIA is filed in writing with the fee prescribed in 8 CFR103.7. ... [NOTE: Although 8 CFR 103.5(a)(1)(iii) states that the motion should be filed on Form I-290A, that form has not been in existence as an approved form since 1994 (and prior to that date was only used for a different purpose). Accordingly, the moving party cannot be held to that particular requirement and a motion made in writing cannot be rejected simply because it is not on that particular form.]
A motion to the Service which does not meet one or more of the requirements for a motion set forth in 8 CFR 103.5 (other than the Form I-290A requirement) must be dismissed for failure to meet those requirements, using a written order describing the deficiencies. ...

UnitedNations,
Looks like my new lawyer is too smart or too dumb. I don't know why everytime I get stuck with this kind of Lawyers those who are not sure of anything. I wonder sometime How God is feeding these dumbs. They know nothing about anything but ................

Regards

Hidden_man said:
JK,
Thanks for so much info. I just got done reading it. Now I have more questions than before.
My employer has signed the G-28. All other supporting paperwork was also submitted but It did not have any form accompaning ( No 290B or any other). Lawyer has just filed it with her letter to USCIS. I was just trying to figure out if that is right.
We have very good supporting documentation to overcome the ability to pay with UnitedNations guidance. The only worry I am left with is if the lawyer was suppose to file any form while replying to MTR.

Regards

That is right. As G-28 is signed, she can file I-290B for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
unitednations said:
Below is the reply I got back from a person who filed MTR without appeal:

There is not form for an MTR. It is simply a letter mentioning in the bold
on the first page "MOTION TO REOPEN & RECONSIDER"

Statement is partly incorrect.

By regulation, an appeal is treated as an MTR first, and only if the decision is not reversed is it then sent forward to the AAO.

Quoting from form:

When a decision on a petition may be
appealed, the petitioner, an authorized official of a
petitioning corporation, or the petitioner's attorney
or representative must sign this form.

At the point, it has to be signed. Perhaps the person got approval in MTR stage only or maybe did not persue till AAO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fees

Jharkhandi said:
Your lawyer is doing good job. It is good to make MTR rather then appeal:

A motion to reopen must state the new facts that are to be provided in the reopened proceeding and must be accompanied by affidavits or other documentary evidence. A motion to reconsider must establish that the decision was based on an incorrect application of law or USCIS policy, and further establish that the decision was incorrect based on the evidence in the file at the time the decision was made. Any motion to reopen or reconsider must be filed with the correct fee within 30 days of the decision.

This may then be followed by another appeal.

See it gives your case an edge. Rejections are rarely done without careful consideration. There must be something in your case(I am not aware of facts) that is not presenting facts in a way that your case could be approved. Let her file MTR. She is quoting right amount for the application. The application that she will be filing is I290B. Form I290A is discontinued. Check:

http://uscis.gov/lpBin/lpext.dll/inserts/fr/fr-96281/fr-100833/fr-100835?f=templates&fn=document-frame.htm#fr-69fr20528

The fees for I290B is $120.
JK, the fees is $110 and not $120 .. please correct.

I290a

Guys,
My online status shows like this:

I290A APPEAL OR MOTION TO REOPEN OR RECONSIDER .

So this I290A does not need any form to be filled. Just a letter from lawyer does the whole job.

Thanks

Hidden_man said:
Guys,
My online status shows like this:

I290A APPEAL OR MOTION TO REOPEN OR RECONSIDER .

So this I290A does not need any form to be filled. Just a letter from lawyer does the whole job.

Thanks

MTR - no. Appeal - yes.

Check this:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/RepealDenial.htm

and relevant portion:

If the Administrative Appeals Office has jurisdiction over the decision, the notice of appeal must be filed on Form I-290B (Notice of Appeal to the Administrative Appeal Office). The appeal must be filed with the office that made the original decision. A brief (explanation) may be filed in support of your appeal.

I will wait till you tell me that even in appeal it was not needed(definitely it is always better to go by what you are saying).

Perhaps I am missing something here. Keep updated.

Jharkhandi said:
MTR - no. Appeal - yes.

Check this:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/RepealDenial.htm

and relevant portion:

If the Administrative Appeals Office has jurisdiction over the decision, the notice of appeal must be filed on Form I-290B (Notice of Appeal to the Administrative Appeal Office). The appeal must be filed with the office that made the original decision. A brief (explanation) may be filed in support of your appeal.

I will wait till you tell me that even in appeal it was not needed(definitely it is always better to go by what you are saying).

Perhaps I am missing something here. Keep updated.

JK,
As you have said earlier, Appeal can not be filed without I-290B, no doubts about it.
I will keep you posted about the developments.

Thanks