Which date is used for Citizen application???

Texas_9808

I would like to know which date is used for citizen application? Is it the date on the green card or the date I-485 approved (or passport stamped)?

The reason I asked this question is that my I-485 approved date was 01/08/2005. But the resident date on my green card (I just received) is 02/18/00 (this is the date I applied for my LC). So am I eligible for the citizen application? Does USCIS changed its policy so the permanent residency granted date starts from PD of green card application?

Thanks in advance for your kind reply!!!

Texas_9808

As far as I know according to material available on USCIS website, your five years starts from the date of residence on your green card. Please confirm with someone else or lawyer.

date for citizenship application

Hi, would you let us know once you know the right answer as to which date is used for citizenship application? Thanks!

Texas_9808 said:
I would like to know which date is used for citizen application? Is it the date on the green card or the date I-485 approved (or passport stamped)?

The reason I asked this question is that my I-485 approved date was 01/08/2005. But the resident date on my green card (I just received) is 02/18/00 (this is the date I applied for my LC). So am I eligible for the citizen application? Does USCIS changed its policy so the permanent residency granted date starts from PD of green card application?

Thanks in advance for your kind reply!!!

Texas_9808

The "Resident Since Date" on your green card.

The date which you got your GC is the correct date. I know of cases where people went by the "Resident Since" date on the GC and 1 year later on their interview day, they were denied because apparently that is the first time when USCIS will actually check your application to verify all dates. I am aware that the USCIS site lists that you follow the GC date, but make sure you talk to a lawyer if you want to do that.

Am I reading incorrectly ?

The day your I485 is approved is the date your permanent residence started.
So 5 years less 30 days from that date you can apply for citzenship.

If the date on your GC is incorrect , which it seems to be i.e the date you applied for LC, then you cant use that mistake as the basis for you application.

regards

Thanks for your guys' kind reply! :)

I would like to know during the interview, how USCIS officials check your PR granted date. Do they have any record kept for the date or ask you to provide the approval letter for your green card? If they do deny me due to the mistake on my PR card, any harm for me? Do you refund the money to me? Any impact on my future citizen application.

Texas_9808

Texas_9808 said:
Thanks for your guys' kind reply! :)

I would like to know during the interview, how USCIS officials check your PR granted date. Do they have any record kept for the date or ask you to provide the approval letter for your green card? If they do deny me due to the mistake on my PR card, any harm for me? Do you refund the money to me? Any impact on my future citizen application.

Texas_9808
When you file for citizenship one of the requirements (and I question on N-400) is (at least for most of us) to be a permanent resident for 5 years. That is the basis you will be applying for citizenship. So if you circle YES to the question that you are applying as a 5 year permanent resident, you will be lying. If they discover your lie you are in trouble. I would not advise to get your citizenship trying to trick the USCIS. Also, I would not advise to try to get your citizenship on a basis of USCIS mistake. The best is to go and change the date on your green card.

485 approval date as far as I know. If the date is different from the one on your GC, then there is ambiguity. If not, then there is no question