Which 140 to use for AOS...confused, please help

softcrowd

Registered Users (C)
I & My wife are working on H1-B visas currently. We two simulataneously started our Greencard process with our employers.

Both of us have a priority date of Sept 2006 & our EB category is Eb2. Both our labors got approved & applied for I-140s. My wife's I-140 got approved recently (from TSC) while Mine is still pending with NSC (Nebraska dates are behind).

A couple of months back, my current employer offered me a pre-aproved EB3 labor (from April 2004) & asked me to apply for I-140 (Substitute). He told me that once approved, I can port this EB3 2004 priority date onto my Eb2 I140. I applied for the same in premium processing, subsequently got an ability-to-Pay RFE and employer is working on providing audited financial statements from 2004.

Overall, we have 3 I-140s between me (2 pending) & my wife (1 Approved). Now that everything is current which one should we pick for applying I-485....This has become a big puzzle for us.

Here below is a snapshot of our status:

Me - EB2 (Sept 2006) - I-140 Pending
- EB3 (Apr 2004) - I-140 Pending (got RFE)

My wife - EB2 (Sept 2006) - I-140 Approved

Here are the options we could think of -

I know, the safest way is to apply I-485 to my wife's approved I-140. But with the DHS's forecast that retrogression is going to be back anytime around Spetember of this year, I am not sure if applying 485 based on a year 2006's date is any useful!! (We get EAD but we may be struck for years to get the green cards).

Is there an option for both of us to apply for I-485s (I will be dependent on my wife's application & my wife would be dependent on my application). If possible, this option gives us a safety net & also helps us in picking up the best. I know at some point, we have to choose between either of the I-485s but hopefully in a couple of months, we get clarity when both my I-140s are approved.

Or is it possible for me to apply for AOS on my pending EB2 2006 I-140 and then once my other Eb3 I-140 is also approved, Can I port the PDs while my I-485 is pending??

In essence, I am trying to find out a way to take advantage of 2004 Priority date I have (assuming Eb3 I-140 is approved).

Could you please help out, if you have any ideas!!

Go by Ur Attorney's advice!

One does not need a approved I-140 to file for I-485.. so U can do it against your preApproved labor..

Multiple filing of I-485 is a grey area ..
Some attorney's argue that it's illegal to file two I485s.. some say one can file multiple against multiple I-140 .. but you can only adjust under one I485.

Again .. some make argument that one can file a second I485 when the first I485 is filed as a dependent and the second I485 is being filed as the principal applicant.

It's all how your attorney thinks and can defend you if you are in trouble ... thats why attorneys are hired to give you a edge in grey area.. :)

Go by Ur Attorney's advice!

------------------------------------------------
I feel avoid multiple filing -- you will have multiple A numbers and that might confuse the Adjudicators :)

Last edited by a moderator: