Where to submit EB1-1

LeTu

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,
1. Please tell me where I must submit documents for EB1-1. I am now living at New Haven, Connecticut.
2. I am worried that my current visa J1 as postdoc has any disadvantages when I apply EB1-1?
Please answer my questions

1. Texas service center.
2. Yes, you will be unable to use your J visa to return to the US if you travel, unable to obtain a new visa at a consulate abroad, and probably face difficulty (if not impossibility) in extending your DS-2019.

Dear Jk0274,
Concerning question 2. Can I apply EB1-1 when I have J1 visa? Can I change my status at US if my 1-140 is approved?

nightsman is correct.

You can apply for your I-140 (EB-1) any time you want, but you have to be aware of how that will impact your J visa status as I indicated above. But if you want to adjust your status to permanent resident after your I-140 (EB-1) gets approved, you have to make sure you are not subject to the two year home residency requirement, which many J visa holders are. If you are subject, you have to go through a separate procedure to obtain a waiver of your 2-year home residency requirement (also known as 212(e) - check the visa stamp and/or your DS-2019 to see if it applies). Once you get this waiver approved, only then can you apply for your I-485 adjustment of status application, or an H-1B status if you prefer.

If you apply only for your I-140 (EB-1) petition, this will not confer any new status on you in the US. So if your J status expires and you don't have your J-1 waiver which will enable you to change your status, you may have to leave the country. So be aware of all your options before you proceed. How long is your current DS-2019 valid for? That will be a major factor in deciding how to proceed...

1. My current DS-2019 at University is 4 years.
2. Two year home requirement does not apply to me (see on visa J1 and DS-2019)
3. If possible, I want to change to H1-B. Is it possible and safer?

H-1B is possible if you have a sponsor at a university or other non-profit institution. If your sponsor is a company, then you'll have to go through a lottery and may or may not obtain an H-1B. If you do, it's always preferable and safer than most other non-immigrant statuses, including J status.