Where to mail the forms?

mclarenfan316

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

I am a US citizen and I am sponsoring my wife's Gc who is in the US on a Canadian passport(TN visa)..

I finished the following forms
1)I-130
2)I-485
3-G-325a for both of us
4)I-864
5)I-765
5b) G-1145

Along with these forms, I am submitting
6- our passport size pics,
7-checks mentioned below
8-Marriage certificate
9-Joint bank statement
10- Copy of our passports
11- My wife's I-94
12- My naturalization certificate
13- Tax returns of last year
14- My driver's license( do I need to send this?)

I am mailing all the forms to the address below based on this link http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...toid=eb7b5cdc2c463110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD

If you are filing Form I-130 with Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, and you live in the United States:

USCIS Chicago Lockbox

For U.S. Postal Service:

USCIS
P.O. Box 805887
Chicago, IL 60680-4120

For Express mail and courier deliveries:

USCIS
FBAS
131 South Dearborn-3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5517

I am attaching two checks- Both payable to US department of Homeland security?

1070 including bio metric fee for I-485 and 420 for I-130- is this correct?

and why do they have different addresses for USPS and express mail? express mail would be FEDEX, UPS etc right?

Thanks a bunch guys. I really really appreciate it

Good luck on that. We started that journey two years ago. The reason there are two addresses is because FedEx and UPS wont deliver to a PO Box. If you want to send FedEx or UPS the second address is good. We went with that as I think their tracking ability is much better than the USPS's personally.

You need to organize it more. Separate the required documents for each form (I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131) you are applying for. (By the way, why aren't you applying for I-131?)

You said "G-325a for both of us". You need G-325a for each of you for the I-130, and you need another G-325a for her for the I-485.

You said "our passport size pics,". You need a passport pic for each of you for the I-130, and you need two passport pics for her for each of the forms I-485, I-765, I-131, so there is a total of 7 pics of her.

Her passport and I-94 is needed in several forms also.

Also, I don't see the I-693 medical exam which is required as part of the I-485.

And I don't see her birth certificate, which is required for the I-485.

You don't need your driver's license.

For the I-864, in addition to the tax return, you also need to provide proof of current income (which is a separate question). Preferably you should get an employer letter. Paystubs from the last few months will work too.

The G-1145 should go on top of everything.

The other things seem fine. Your understanding of the checks and addresses is correct.

If you are sending the I-94, send a copy of it. She needs to keep the original with her passport.

At the interview the immigration officer will take the I-94 from the passport and put it in the file.

In terms of mailing the documents, we have always used Post Office Priority Mail. Priority Mail now includes tracking at no additional charge. Since it is through the Post Office, it can be mailed to the PO Box address.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to organize it more. Separate the required documents for each form (I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131) you are applying for. (By the way, why aren't you applying for I-131?)

You said "G-325a for both of us". You need G-325a for each of you for the I-130, and you need another G-325a for her for the I-485.

You said "our passport size pics,". You need a passport pic for each of you for the I-130, and you need two passport pics for her for each of the forms I-485, I-765, I-131, so there is a total of 7 pics of her.

Her passport and I-94 is needed in several forms also.

Also, I don't see the I-693 medical exam which is required as part of the I-485.

And I don't see her birth certificate, which is required for the I-485.

You don't need your driver's license.

For the I-864, in addition to the tax return, you also need to provide proof of current income (which is a separate question). Preferably you should get an employer letter. Paystubs from the last few months will work too.

The G-1145 should go on top of everything.

The other things seem fine. Your understanding of the checks and addresses is correct.

newacct, is right. I was told by USCIS and others in various locations that each form has to have its own set of evidence so that it could be approved on its own. Therefore, it is important to read the instructions for every form submitted and see what initial evidence is needed for that form and that form only. What I used to do is take a highlighter and a black pen. I would read the instructions word for word, and with the highlighter I would highlight information that was important to my case or documents that I needed. In return with the black pen, I would cross-out information that wasn't relevant to my case. I would then go through the highlighted instructions and make a list of what I need for that form. I know the instructions are wordy and long, but taking the time to go over it would save you from missing important information. Failure to submit the required initial evidence for each form would result in a Request for Evidence (RFE) at which point the case is on hold until the documents requested are submitted and put into the file.

Thanks a lot for the advice. That was priceless. As I was reading the instructions, I created a document listing everything I need. Below is what I have by document.

1)I-130
a)copy of my naturalization certificate
b)copy of my unexpired US passport
c)copy of our marriage certificate
d)copy of a joint bank statement
e)one picture each with our name written on the back- I am going to write my A# as well, even though I am a citizen. Is that fine?
f)form G-325A for both of us
g) I have documents of our lease and our marriage license from the religious institution, but they messed up the spelling and it's taking a long time to get it corrected. Since this is optional, I am not submitting this.
e) A check of $420 payable to U.S Department of Homeland Security

2) I-485
a) Birth certificate of my wife( Thanks so much for pointing this out, I forgot about it)
b)Copy of her passport
c)2 photos of my wife
d)Police clearance isn't required right?- no history of anything
e) form I-693- They gave a sealed envelope and a copy, going to send both( sorry forgot to list this above)
f)copy of the I-94( I probably need to get it changed first as they put the wrong stamp last time she entered- please refer to my other post)
g)marriage certificate- second place this is being attached
h)Form G325a for her only
I) check of 1070 payable to U.S Department of homeland security( 985 for I-485 and 85 for biometrics fee)
J)form G1145 - which will be on the top of all the forms
K)I-864
L) last 6 months paystubs and an employment letter showing my salary
M) Copy of my tax returns, including 1099 and W2
N) 2 pictures of her( thanks for pointing this out again)

3)I-765- no fees as I am filing a 485
I am going to mail this form to the address below-based on this link - Can you please confirm if category a(9) is right one for me?

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=fe529c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD
USCIS Dallas Lockbox

For U.S. Postal Service (USPS) Deliveries:

USCIS
PO Box 660867
Dallas, TX 75266

For Express mail and courier deliveries:

USCIS
Attn: AOS
2501 S. State Hwy. 121 Business
Suite 400
Lewisville, TX 75067

I saw that I can file this electronically as well. I will just go ahead and mail it I guess.

I didn't see where it mentions I-131. I read the instructions for it. This is for re-entry. Is this applicable to her?

So I am going to have three envelopes, one with all the forms and documents for I-485, one for I-765 and one for I-130 right? I don't need to stick the pictures anywhere, I will just put them in a small bag in the envelope? The check will be in another envelope inside the main envelope right?

Anything that I am missing?

Please advice. Thanks a bunch for looking into this.

I read up on I-131. It looks like I should go ahead and file for it, in case we need to leave the country while the process is going on. This is the main purpose right?

g) I have documents of our lease and our marriage license from the religious institution, but they messed up the spelling and it's taking a long time to get it corrected. Since this is optional, I am not submitting this.
e) A check of $420 payable to U.S Department of Homeland Security
The check should have your wife's name, I-130 and A# if already assigned in the memo line.
2) I-485

d)Police clearance isn't required right?- no history of anything
Police clearance is not necessary since the information is verified though the fingerprints obtained at the ASC appointment.

e) form I-693- They gave a sealed envelope and a copy, going to send both( sorry forgot to list this above)
The copy is for your records. They just need the one that is in the sealed envelope. Do NOT open the sealed envelope.

f)copy of the I-94( I probably need to get it changed first as they put the wrong stamp last time she entered- please refer to my other post)
Yes. In order to clear up confusion have CBP correct the I-94 before sending in the application.

I) check of 1070 payable to U.S Department of homeland security( 985 for I-485 and 85 for biometrics fee)
Write one check for $1070. In the memo line write: (Your spouses name) I-485 (plus A# if one has already been assigned to her)

My responses are up above.

One thing to clarify. You mentioned the lease and the marriage license from the religious institution messing up the name. If the lease is OK then I would advise sending it since it shows you live together. If it is not, or there is no expiration date on the lease (such as a month-to-month lease) ask your landlord or property manager for a letter that says you both live there, when you moved in, and what your current rent is. That is what we did since at the time we applied our one-year was up and we didn't renew but were living in the place on a month-to-month lease. I would not include the marriage license from the religious institution since it is not your official marriage license issued by a government authority.

Also in terms of the checks. You could write one check payable to the US Department of Homeland Security for $1490 to cover both the I-130 and I-485 fees. In the memo line write: (Your wife's name) I-130 & I-485 (A# if one has already been assigned).

I read up on I-131. It looks like I should go ahead and file for it, in case we need to leave the country while the process is going on. This is the main purpose right?
Yes.

along these lines. Is it ok for us to go to Puerto Rico while this process is going on? Puerto Rico is considered part of the U.S territory and it doesn't require a visa. Since she has a visa for the U.S currently, it should be ok to go and come back right?
Yes, as long as she doesn't stop to change planes in another country on the way to or from Puerto Rico, the trip won't count as an entry to or departure from the US, so she won't need Advance Parole or a visa.

However, she should still carry her passport and I-94*. Although there is no immigration line to go through to or from Puerto Rico, in the airport in Puerto Rico there are immigration agents roaming around randomly checking the papers of people who are waiting for flights going to the mainland US, so she needs to be able to prove that she is legally authorized to be in the US.

*if her I-94 expires before making the trip and before the green card is issued, she should carry the I-485 receipt. However, that or the I-94 is not strictly necessary, as they'll most likely be satisfied once they see the Canadian passport.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I will go to my leasing office and try to get a letter. I tried to get the name corrected and he keeps saying that it is very difficult etc as they changed ownership recently

Do my forms look complete? also is A(9) the correct category for I-765?

I am filling out I-131, it's asking me for the date of intended departure. I don't really intend to leave the country. Should I just put a future date and some countries where I would like to go for a vacation :)?

Can someone please confirm if I have all the documents?

Also I am not sure if I need an I-131 as I don't plan to travel abroad. Is it still advisable to apply for one and enter a random country in the country I plan to visit?

Do my forms look complete? also is A(9) the correct category for I-765?
(c)(9) is the correct category for an EAD tied to adjustment of status.

I am filling out I-131, it's asking me for the date of intended departure. I don't really intend to leave the country. Should I just put a future date and some countries where I would like to go for a vacation :)?
For Advance Parole it's not important. Just make up a date and place where you might like to go. They'll approve it anyway (except maybe if you named somewhere like Cuba or North Korea!).

(c)(9) is the correct category for an EAD tied to adjustment of status..

oooo I got it wrong then. It says

7. EAD Applicants who have filed for adjustment of status

A. Adjustment application-(C)9. File form I-765 with a copy of the receipt notice or another evidence that your Form I-485, application for permanent residence or adjust status, is pending. You may file form I-765 together with your Form I-485.

Do I need to wait for a receipt? or can I just send everything together?

Thank you soooo much!!

If you want to apply for I-765 after the I-485 has already been filed, you'll need the I-485 receipt. Otherwise you can file both together without waiting for the receipt.

The I-131 form is used to apply for 3 different types for things: Re-Entry Permit, Advance Parole, and Refugee Travel Document. The one you are applying for is Advance Parole. Don't get confused by the things for the other types of documents.

You can just put "Unknown" for date of intended departure and length of trip. Countries you intend to visit is not on a part of the form you need to fill out. (Advance Parole people skip directly from Part 3 question 3 to Part 7) You do not need to attach any explanation since you are applying with adjustment of status. Advance Parole is automatically approved for people applying for adjustment of status, without any reasons.

The I-131 form is used to apply for 3 different types for things: Re-Entry Permit, Advance Parole, and Refugee Travel Document. The one you are applying for is Advance Parole. Don't get confused by the things for the other types of documents.

You can just put "Unknown" for date of intended departure and length of trip. Countries you intend to visit is not on a part of the form you need to fill out. (Advance Parole people skip directly from Part 3 question 3 to Part 7) You do not need to attach any explanation since you are applying with adjustment of status. Advance Parole is automatically approved for people applying for adjustment of status, without any reasons.

Thank you Jackolantern and newacct. You have been of tremendous help.

This is what I filled out in the I-131
1) entire part 1
2) in part 2 I checked 1.d - I am applying for an advanced Parole Document to Allow me to return to the United States after temporary foreign travel.. The rest of that part is blank
Part3- Date of Intended departure/Expected length of trip, I will enter unknown for both as per your suggestion. Thanks a lot for that. Question 3)a- I entered no
3) I checked box 5- Where do u want this travel document sent- to the Us address shows in Part 1- You mentioned that I should leave everything blank from Part 3 question 3 onwards. I thought this is the place they were going to send me the document? After reading again it looks like it is referring to the travel document that was lost( question 4) right? so leave this blank as well?

4) Part 4- Why should this be blank? I type vacation- Mexico, Canada
5) I left everything else blank except Part 7- complete only if Applying for advanced Parole- question 1- how many trips- I entered more than 1. rest everything is blank
6) Part 8- I entered, the date, phone number and signed it.

So should I delete the info from Part 3 question 5 and Part 4 question 1a and 1b. I don't see why I shouldn't fill out part 4. Please advice.

This is my last form :) again thank you so much!

So should I delete the info from Part 3 question 5 and Part 4 question 1a and 1b. I don't see why I shouldn't fill out part 4. Please advice.

Near the top of page 2 it says "If you are applying for an Advance Parole Document, skip to Part 7." (which is on the next page)

Thank you once again. I finished putting all my paper work together. I am waiting on my wife's employer to send a document that says she works there to get the stamp fixed on her I-94 and I should be good to go.

Since I am mailing all the forms to the same place, I was going to put them all in one envelope and have three smaller envelopes in there, one for I-130 and all the documents that go with it, one for I-485 and all the documents that go with it and one for I-765.

Is that fine?

Thank you all so much for your support :)

Since I am mailing all the forms to the same place, I was going to put them all in one envelope and have three smaller envelopes in there, one for I-130 and all the documents that go with it, one for I-485 and all the documents that go with it and one for I-765.

Don't separate them into different envelopes. All those documents are closely interrelated and should remain together. If multiple family members were being sponsored, it would make sense to keep each person's forms separate from the other people, but don't separate papers for the same person.