Where to File EAD renewal

ksanil23

Registered Users (C)
My EAD is now nearing expiration and I need to file for renewal. In I-765 form instructions it is mentioned that I must file my EAD with Texas as I live in NJ but my I-485 & initial I-765 application is at Nebraska. I heard that we must file renewal with same Service center where we filed our I-485.
I assume that there must be many files from NY/NJ/CT area whose jurisdiction according to latest form instructions is TSC but our applications went to NSC when we filed in June/July.
Can someone advise where to file?

I heard that we must file renewal with same Service center where we filed our I-485.

This is correct. I initially filed 485 at VSC but then it got moved to TSC. From then on, all my EAD/AP had to be filed at TSC.
So file your EAD where your 485 is pending.

I heard that we must file renewal with same Service center where we filed our I-485.

That is a myth and is not true. The USCIS direct filing rules are clear and it baffles me why so many on this forum make up their own rules. Many did what you wrote above and were lucky enough not to get their applications rejected, but the rules are clear - if you live in NJ then you should send your applications to Texas.

Last edited by a moderator:
From then on, all my EAD/AP had to be filed at TSC.

That's because you probably live in an area under the jurisdiction of TSC, not because your I-485 is there necessarily.

Last edited by a moderator:
My EAD is now nearing expiration and I need to file for renewal. In I-765 form instructions it is mentioned that I must file my EAD with Texas as I live in NJ but my I-485 & initial I-765 application is at Nebraska. I heard that we must file renewal with same Service center where we filed our I-485.
I assume that there must be many files from NY/NJ/CT area whose jurisdiction according to latest form instructions is TSC but our applications went to NSC when we filed in June/July.
Can someone advise where to file?

I will send it to the location where the I485 is pending. E-Filing is also a better option because you do not need to mention the service center.

Thanks all for your feedback, I also confirmed with my attorney and he also advised me to send application to TSC (I live in NJ).