When will application fee increse??

irn said:
WHEN?
Does anybody know a date for this ?

The cost of applying for naturalization is going to rise from $330 to $595...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wpdyn/content/article/2007/01/30/AR2007013001864.html

You can find a number of threads on this. Summary is:

The fee hike is offically filed in the Federal Registry (on Feb 1st?) and is scheduled to happen. However, there is a 60 days period for public comments. Assuming that there will be no MAJOR (political) uprising, after 120 days (including public comments period), new fee will become offical. That would fall sometime in June '07.

Therefore, for all purposes, you have at minimum until June'07 to file your application if you want to pay current fees and avoid hike.

No doubt about it - USCIS will post an offical cut-off date once comments period ends. So, monitor closely their site.

If you are really lucky (for some extraodinary reason fee hike gets stopped in Congress, by the public protests etc.), which is highly unlikely, you will get to have current fees even after June.

This is my 2c. Good luck!

FYI: The only somewhat opposition to fee hike is heard from few immigrant groups and Sen. Ted Kennedy (in my opinion that is too weak to stop the hike).

Last edited by a moderator:
I am also following the increase closely as my eligibility to apply is around june 15. i dont want to wait 3 days and learn my fee will be 80% high. if there is a one year increase, i cannot help, but i do not want to lose because of a few days. obviously if the fee hike goes into effect june 10, i am screwed. that is luck :)