When to update Social Security card?

nell02

Registered Users (C)
1. Do we have to update social security card soon after passport stamping or can it be done only after getting plastic card?

2. Present card indicates that it is authorized only for work. What will be the change after updating it on getting GC?

Friends, please give your suggestions on this...

Yes get an new card.

The new one will not say anything on it. So and get a new one.
Just go to SSN office and tell them your situation they will issue a new one(not sure then and there or will mail it) but you will get a new one.

Regarding SSN

We got approved on Juky 31st. Stamped on 08/05.

Went to social security office after a week and a half. Since GC information had to get updated. Just take your approval notic. stamped passport and identification card. Have to fill a form and submit.

You will get a new SSN card in two weeks and number is the same as the old one.

Radha

What about kids?

If you have kids, you need to take SSN for them also, right?

Thanks...

RM_CSC, Radha, rb23 for your response.

rb23, I think, for kids we can change the tax-id to SSN with Green Card. Hope we don't need to take them to SSN office.

I didn't fill any specific form.

Went to SSN office with SSN card, passport, driver's licence etc with valid I-551 stamp and they filled whatever needed. Just asked to write first name and last name in a paper. They'll have all our information based on our A#.

See this site for any clarification:
http://www.ssa.gov/

hmmnn, i didn't update my SSN yet. i rcvd plastic card also. Is it absolutely requried to update the SSN? Lawyer never suggested me to do this. Can you guys please help? what happens if we don't update SSN?

Thanks

SSN Update

I updated my SSN last week. I got stamped on 09/04. When I went to get SSN for my wife, they told me that its required to udpate the SSN after getting green card. But I know couple of my friends who did not update their SSN for past 6 yo 7 years. They did not had any problem. But not quite sure whats the advantage of it.

Also, can any one let me know how soon we receive our plasting cards. My wife got it on 10/14 and for her WAC # it says they ordered for new card on 10/10. For me, no change in AVM or did not receive my card. Does it take long time to get the card ?

Thank you.

Kishore

Normally if some one has workpermit (based on H1, or EAD PT etc) then SSN card will have restrictions printed above SSN. It says "Valid for work only with INS authorization". That means when ever some one goes to any employer with that SSN card then that employer is suppose to inquire with INS to see if that person is eligible to work at that time with them...

Once one gets GC they can goto Social Seciry office and get those restrictions removed (will get a new card with out any restrictions). So that when ever some one goes to any new employer no questions asked w.r.t. "work authorization.."

Now, is it absolutely required to update SSN card? I don't think so! I don't know how frequently one will change jobs and I don't think it takes much time for employer to check with INS if they choose to...

- PCee

OK to do this but not required at all. Gone were the old days when people used to get job just by showing SSN Card. Nobody looks at the SSN card anymore now.