When to surrender passport?

selective services ?????

to all of you ,i have this question
how about someone who came to the US at the age of 27 get his green card at the age of 32
do i need a letter for the selective services??

Nope

Selective Services only apply to males who came to the US between the ages of 18 and 26. So you are excused. Fill out the Selective Services form (http://www.sss.gov/instructions.html), and explain why you should be excused (by providing a copy of the first US customs\' stamp on your passport when you first entered the country, along with a proof of your birth date (birth certificate). They will then send you a letter expressing that you were, and are, not required to register with the Selective Services. This letter will act as your proof for the officer, and when you file the N-400, that you did not violate the Selective Services requirement on your citizenship interview. So make sure to get this letter and make lots of copies, you never know when you might be needing them again.

Cheers!

similar case - interview time officer said not needed

some good news for you. I fall into similar category as yours with respect to age. I had that letter requested in the interview notice. I requested ssa for status letter, and never received the letter till the interview date. In the interview, I told the officer that I have not yet got the letter from ssa, and i was over 26 when I entered US. Officer was nice (Houston INS) and said dont worry about that and checked the green card date. She did not even bother to see the passport F-1 visa date.

I will also post my Houston interview experience in another posting. Hope this helps.