When to start status check with FBI

maheshgajanan

Registered Users (C)
I have been trying to find out when to start doing a check with FBI about status of the name check. Is month after the Priority Date too early? Does anyone know when CIS sends a case over to FBI for the check?
I do not want to start following up too early and get someone at FBI mad for wasting their time.

Mahesh

I have same concern too.

N-400 Application Date 17th April, 2004
RD April 26, 2004
FP Date 28th September, 2004
Waiting on interview ???

Thanks for any help that I can get.

amishah said:
I have same concern too.

N-400 Application Date 17th April, 2004
RD April 26, 2004
FP Date 28th September, 2004
Waiting on interview ???

Thanks for any help that I can get.

I would say, wait for atleast 3 months after you apply.

i had no idea such a thing as name check existed until after my interview.
the only reason i started worrying a little is b/c i passed the interview, but could not be approved on the spot b/c of "name check"
i got my interview letter at least 4 months in advance and so i thought everything was according to the schedule (the whole process takes a year)
i only now started bugging everybody, but it has been 4 months after my interview, and this is my last step in the whole process!!!
so be your own judge, but i would not worry about it too much...give it some time....

Name Check Experience

A lot of people on here have talked about the Name Check. There's no doubt it was helpful to many, and also has it's benefits.

During my naturalization process, I did not do a name check, never worried about it, and never even considered it. My naturalization went smootly and fast, and was completed in less than a year (10 months exactly). This is not to say that one should not complete it. However, you do not loose anything by not completeting a name check with the FBI. My 2 cents.

Disclaimer:

I am not an attorney, the opinions expressed and links are personal opinions, you should not rely on it, in part or whole in making your decisions. For all immigration question, consult a reputable immigration attorney in your area.

soul_fh, I think you are referring to the FOIPA request. I have already done the FOIPA and got the results. But the name check I am referring to is the one initiated by the CIS. And in my thread I was wondering about when CIS initiates it.

Now I'm confused

Hi maheshgajanan,

What do u mean by CIS name check? I thought there was only FBI name check! How many name checks are there? Thanks for the answer.

Name Check

No, actually I meant the FBI Name Check, same one done by USCIS, some people inquire about the status from the FBI to determine if it is completed.

Thanks soul_fh! I did not realize there was a phone # that I can call. I just found it in Rahul's PDF document.

itsmetraveler,

You are right. THere is only one name check I am aware of. It is the one done by FBI but it is initiated by the CIS for your N-400 application. Sorry if there was confusion I created.

If you are wondering about what a FOIPA request is, there is a real good document that Rahul Kumar has written
http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=136848

Mahesh

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mah! So there is only one name check. How about when we go to FP after sending the N400 application, is it a different process that we should check with the FBI (CIS?)?

Thanks

itsmetraveler said:
Thanks Mah! So there is only one name check. How about when we go to FP after sending the N400 application, is it a different process that we should check with the FBI (CIS?)?

Thanks

FP is a different check as I understand. I understand the two are unrelated. Most people it seems do not have problems with either but when they do, it is usually with the name check.
There is a number in Rahul's doc for FP check. So if one wants to check, I guess one would have to call that number

FOIPA request and name check request

Hello,

Is there a letter format that we should use to request our name check results from FBI? I know that there is the FOIPA format. I checked rahul's pdf but didn't find any formal letter for name check inquiry

Thanks