when to seek advice of a professional ??

APuppyDog

My family applied for asylum back in 1993. Due to a horrific experience with our money grubbing 'lawyer' our case was not processed until 1997. We were approved asylum in 98 and got a letter stating that our petition to adjust status will take up to 580 days.

It is now 5 years (or 1825 days) later that we have still not received anything about our greencard. Our case is filed in the Nebraska office and each time i've tried calling the office, the line was busy. I went to the San Francisco office but was told I will need to find out the status through Nebraska and I feel like i'm going around in circles.

Is there a way to look into the status of this situation or talk to a higher power to get the file dusted off and brought forward. It is very depressing to know that we have been waiting and waiting with no change of status.

If we go through another lawyer, will it help with the case? Do they have insider information or at this point we just play the waiting game? I don't mind paying another lawyer if the situation can be changed with a positive result, but I would like to know if that is indeed possible...

Thanks for your help in guiding me in the right direction.

Originally posted by APuppyDog
My family applied for asylum back in 1993. Due to a horrific experience with our money grubbing 'lawyer' our case was not processed until 1997. We were approved asylum in 98 and got a letter stating that our petition to adjust status will take up to 580 days.

It is now 5 years (or 1825 days) later that we have still not received anything about our greencard. Our case is filed in the Nebraska office and each time i've tried calling the office, the line was busy. I went to the San Francisco office but was told I will need to find out the status through Nebraska and I feel like i'm going around in circles.

Is there a way to look into the status of this situation or talk to a higher power to get the file dusted off and brought forward. It is very depressing to know that we have been waiting and waiting with no change of status.

If we go through another lawyer, will it help with the case? Do they have insider information or at this point we just play the waiting game? I don't mind paying another lawyer if the situation can be changed with a positive result, but I would like to know if that is indeed possible...

it seems that you applied for green card in 1999. they are now processing application on or before february 1999. They actually have a schedule for their projected processing time. tell us exactly when was your notice date ( the notice in which they told you you will wait 580 days) so that we can estimate for you when u will get it. by the way these number of days are never accurate. Welcome to the most incompetent organization in US history.

Originally posted by APuppyDog

If you were granted asylum in 1998,i am assuming that you filed I-485 in 1999.

Which means like in my case, if the reciept date for your I-485 is dating Feb.1,1999 or before,then you have to wait until they reach your file by Sept.30,2003.

If RD is from Feb.2-Sept.14,1999,the waiting time to reach your file will be from Oct.1,2003-Sept.30,2004.

If Rd is from Sept.15,1999-Mar.13,2000,then the waiting time,
according to BCIS will be Oct.1,2004-Sept.30,2005.

As for now,there is nothing much that can be done but to wait until they reach your file if there won`t be any obstacles that might cause more delayence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Re: when to seek advice of a professional ??

Originally posted by Sessanga Charlesa
If you were granted asylum in 1998,i am assuming that you filed I-485 in 1999.

Which means like in my case if the reciept date for your I-485 is dating Feb.1,1999 or before,then you have to wait until they reach your file by Sept.30,2003.

If RD is from Feb.2-Sept.14,1999,the waiting time to reach your file will be from Oct.1,2003-Sept.30,2004.

If Rd is from Sept.15,1999-Mar.13,2000,then the waiting time according to BCIS will be from Oct.1,2004-Sept.30,2005.

As for now,there is nothing much that can be done but to wait until they reach your file if there won`t be any obstacles that might cause more delayence.

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you very much for your replies. I will have to check on the receipt date, but looks like it was before Feb 1999 which may sound like good news. Thanks again!