When to Inform the employer about PR??

madgu-gc2005

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

Yesterday I got my 485 application approved and there were two emails from CRIS. I work in an University environment. I have few questions. I would appreciate your feedback.

1. What is my current status legal status - PR or in between PR and nonimmigrant status ( since I do not have any hard copy of I-485 approval)?

2. Should I wait for the approval notice (hard copy) or physical green card before I inform to my employer?

3. Can I renew my driver license based on the approval?

4. When should I go to SSA (social security administration) to update my SSN ( any timeline/limit)?

5. Any other things I should worry about?

you suggestions are most welcome.

My details are:

EB-1A & EB-2NIW
I-485 Approved on May 17, 2007

This is what you do:

1. Wait for the I485 approval notice. These days the cards are ordered
along with the approval so your card will be in the mail in 3-4 weeks after
approval. If you don't get your card then go to the nearest Service Center and with an InfoPass appointment, get I551 stamp on your passport.

2. Either with the stamp OR the Plastic Card, go to the nearest SSN Office
and tell them to remove the annotation on your SSN Card. Upon verification
with the USCIS database (which normally takes between a week to 10 days
to get updated from the date of approval) the SSN Office will mail you a
new SSN Card to your address without the annotation.

3. Download and fill out an I9 form and mention your current status as permenant resident and provide your A# (you can see this on your I485 approval notice and/or your GC and/or the I551 stamp) in the form and send it to your employer with the copy of your GC or I551 stamp + copy of your new SSN card (this may not be necessary but depends on the employer. Mine didn't ask for this yet I gave it to them).

4. Notify USCIS by mail and by phone on your change of address if you moved between the time of applying I485 and the time of approval. Even if you have done it already, it doesn't hurt to do it again.

5. Relax and enjoy your freedom, after all the stress and stuff.

Now, the above are are valid if you get your GC with correct information like your name, gender, DOB, country of birth etc.

For the renewal of DL, you will need I551 stamp or the plastic card. Either way, the DL Office will verify the information like your name, status etc. with SSN Office so complete above steps before going to the DL Office.

Good luck
howdy_howdy
//

congrats, no doubt its always exciting to get those emails ... if you could contain this excitement and want to save making multiple trips to DL or SS, I'd wait till official notification atleast (if not official PR Card)

Madgu,

1. What is my current status legal status - PR or in between PR and nonimmigrant status ( since I do not have any hard copy of I-485 approval)?
Answer. You are permanent legal resident from the date your I-485 are approved (If I were you, I would wait for the approval notice to come in mail).

2. Should I wait for the approval notice (hard copy) or physical green card before I inform to my employer?
Answer. You can inform your employer. However, you should wait for the physical green card to come in the mail before updating I-9 records in the University.

Answer. You can renew drivers license after you receive your green card (~10 yrs validity).

4. When should I go to SSA (social security administration) to update my SSN ( any timeline/limit)?
Answer. After receiving green card give about 14 days for USCIS to transmit record to SSA. You can go to SSA office and update your information. They will mail you a new SSN card.

Answer. On your permanent resident card carefully check DOB, Name, Card type, category, expritation, PR date etc. to match with your I-485 approval notice. Make sure your family members get there cards soon. Find yourself a good job with a fat salary to enjoy the fullest.

Enjoy !!!!!!

This is what you do:

1. Wait for the I485 approval notice. These days the cards are ordered
along with the approval so your card will be in the mail in 3-4 weeks after
approval. If you don't get your card then go to the nearest Service Center and with an InfoPass appointment, get I551 stamp on your passport.

2. Either with the stamp OR the Plastic Card, go to the nearest SSN Office
and tell them to remove the annotation on your SSN Card. Upon verification
with the USCIS database (which normally takes between a week to 10 days
to get updated from the date of approval) the SSN Office will mail you a
new SSN Card to your address without the annotation.

3. Download and fill out an I9 form and mention your current status as permenant resident and provide your A# (you can see this on your I485 approval notice and/or your GC and/or the I551 stamp) in the form and send it to your employer with the copy of your GC or I551 stamp + copy of your new SSN card (this may not be necessary but depends on the employer. Mine didn't ask for this yet I gave it to them).

4. Notify USCIS by mail and by phone on your change of address if you moved between the time of applying I485 and the time of approval. Even if you have done it already, it doesn't hurt to do it again.

5. Relax and enjoy your freedom, after all the stress and stuff.

Now, the above are are valid if you get your GC with correct information like your name, gender, DOB, country of birth etc.

For the renewal of DL, you will need I551 stamp or the plastic card. Either way, the DL Office will verify the information like your name, status etc. with SSN Office so complete above steps before going to the DL Office.

Good luck
howdy_howdy
//

Hi howdy_howdy,

Thank you very much for taking time to respond to my basic questions and I will take your suggestions.

Madgu,

Answer. You are permanent legal resident from the date your I-485 are approved (If I were you, I would wait for the approval notice to come in mail).

Answer. You can inform your employer. However, you should wait for the physical green card to come in the mail before updating I-9 records in the University.

Answer. You can renew drivers license after you receive your green card (~10 yrs validity).

Answer. After receiving green card give about 14 days for USCIS to transmit record to SSA. You can go to SSA office and update your information. They will mail you a new SSN card.

Answer. On your permanent resident card carefully check DOB, Name, Card type, category, expritation, PR date etc. to match with your I-485 approval notice. Make sure your family members get there cards soon. Find yourself a good job with a fat salary to enjoy the fullest.

Enjoy !!!!!!

Thanks NIW-NOV04 for your valuable answers and you have been always helpful and I personally got encouragement from your replies. Once things are settled I will start looking for job. I will certainly let you know the progress. I will see that I do not become FAT because of fat salary :D

Hi Niw nov04/howdy howdy,

Yesterday my GC was mailed and by next week hopefully it will reach me. Now what should I do with I-94 (I know it does become invalid) and H-1B since it is valid till end of this year 2007. Simply keep them with me and while travelling abroad we can hand in at the airport while getting the boarding pass? Any feedback is appreciated

Congratulations ! Just keep I-94 with you and you may hand it over at the airport while getting boarding pass. Good luck !

Hi Niw nov04/howdy howdy,

Yesterday my GC was mailed and by next week hopefully it will reach me. Now what should I do with I-94 (I know it does become invalid) and H-1B since it is valid till end of this year 2007. Simply keep them with me and while travelling abroad we can hand in at the airport while getting the boarding pass? Any feedback is appreciated

The Airline Agent "may" ask for the I94. I am not sure if they would since
you will be travelling using your GC so just for the heck of it, take the I94
with you first time. If for any reasons, they don't ask you, add it to your
scrap book with a note "Wow... Those non-immigrant days....".

Good luck
howdy_howdy
//