When Is The Visa Number Assigned ?

re time of visa number assignment

I just called the NVC (since I figured, I might as well hear it from the horse's mouth) and asked them at what point is the visa number assigned? The person I spoke to did not answer my question directly, however, she confirmed that in my case I have already been assigned a visa number. I do not belong to the 3 nationalities that fall under the retrogression clause. My current status vis-a-vis the CP process is that my I-140 was sent to the NVC and I am currently waiting for the fee bill (i.e., I have not received packet 3 yet). The fee bill will have my visa number on it.

dot70, you should possibly confirm that it was in fact the visa number that they were referring to as opposed to another identifying number. I am also from a country that has not regressed (Australia) and when I queried the consulate as to possible interview dates they replied "Once we have received the visa number an interview will be scheduled for you". emailraja, that was an excellent description of the number assignment process. Please don't jump to any conclusions regarding descrimination. DOL, INS and State Department are all very equitable amongst nations when it comes to their speed of processing or lack thereof.

thanks big ben

Your response to emailraja was right on...what the hell are you implying emailraja? I know you are pissed right now vis-a-vis the retrogression, but don't take it out on others!!!! We are all in the same boat and simply trying to share our experiences to HELP EACH OTHER out.

Big Ben -- you may be right about clarifying what sort of number I was assigned...however, at this point, I think I will just lie low and simply let events take their course. Let me put it this way, at this point, I am so frustrated with the process (including stupid responses from people like emailraja and the like) that I will simply just wait my turn. I am at the point where I will become a believer once I have this gc card in my hand. Sorry to vent, but these exchanges just got me going. Good luck to you and all other well-wishers.

dot70 said:
Your response to emailraja was right on...what the hell are you implying emailraja? I know you are pissed right now vis-a-vis the retrogression, but don't take it out on others!!!! We are all in the same boat and simply trying to share our experiences to HELP EACH OTHER out.

Big Ben -- you may be right about clarifying what sort of number I was assigned...however, at this point, I think I will just lie low and simply let events take their course. Let me put it this way, at this point, I am so frustrated with the process (including stupid responses from people like emailraja and the like) that I will simply just wait my turn. I am at the point where I will become a believer once I have this gc card in my hand. Sorry to vent, but these exchanges just got me going. Good luck to you and all other well-wishers.

I am very confused with the visa assigment process.... That means once the fee bill is generated we will get the visa number???

appan

This is a summary of the process from immihelp.com:

"Regular Consular Processing
All immigrant visa petitions approved by the Immigration and Naturalization Service in the United States are sent to the National Visa Center(NVC). The cases are processed by NVC and held until an appointment for visa issuance has been scheduled. Upon receipt of the petition, NVC will enter the petition data into a computer.

If the petition is active (immediate relatives and those with current priority dates), NVC will send the applicant the "Agent Choice Letter" (ACL) and the Form DS-3032, "Choice of Agent and Address".

If the petition is inactive (oversubscribed categories with non current priority dates), NVC will wait until it becomes active before proceeding. When the applicant's case becomes current for processing, NVC will send the applicant the "Agent of Choice" letter (ACL) and the Form DS-3032, the "Choice of Agent". This form permits the applicant to choose a "agent" to receive mailings from NVC and assist in the paperwork or paying of required fees. "

"NVC does the same processing as for alpha posts above plus the appointment scheduling. In addition(Alpha plus posts only), NVC compiles original civil documents (or certified copies) and police certificates. NVC reports numerically controlled cases as documentarily qualified, obtains a visa allocation number, and then sends the appointment letter to the applicant. The applicant completes the physical examination and appears for the interview at the post. The original civil documents are returned to the applicant at time of interview at the post. "

...so reading btwn the lines, my interpretation is that the NVC will not issue a visa fee bill/choice of agent unless a visa number is available...the visa number is allocated after packet 3 is reviewed...

dot70 said:
I just called the NVC (since I figured, I might as well hear it from the horse's mouth) and asked them at what point is the visa number assigned? The person I spoke to did not answer my question directly, however, she confirmed that in my case I have already been assigned a visa number. I do not belong to the 3 nationalities that fall under the retrogression clause. My current status vis-a-vis the CP process is that my I-140 was sent to the NVC and I am currently waiting for the fee bill (i.e., I have not received packet 3 yet). The fee bill will have my visa number on it.

dot70,
i just checked the fee bill i had received it has the NVC assigned Case number.

/s

dot70 said:
This is a summary of the process from immihelp.com:

"Regular Consular Processing
All immigrant visa petitions approved by the Immigration and Naturalization Service in the United States are sent to the National Visa Center(NVC). The cases are processed by NVC and held until an appointment for visa issuance has been scheduled. Upon receipt of the petition, NVC will enter the petition data into a computer.

If the petition is active (immediate relatives and those with current priority dates), NVC will send the applicant the "Agent Choice Letter" (ACL) and the Form DS-3032, "Choice of Agent and Address".

If the petition is inactive (oversubscribed categories with non current priority dates), NVC will wait until it becomes active before proceeding. When the applicant's case becomes current for processing, NVC will send the applicant the "Agent of Choice" letter (ACL) and the Form DS-3032, the "Choice of Agent". This form permits the applicant to choose a "agent" to receive mailings from NVC and assist in the paperwork or paying of required fees. "

"NVC does the same processing as for alpha posts above plus the appointment scheduling. In addition(Alpha plus posts only), NVC compiles original civil documents (or certified copies) and police certificates. NVC reports numerically controlled cases as documentarily qualified, obtains a visa allocation number, and then sends the appointment letter to the applicant. The applicant completes the physical examination and appears for the interview at the post. The original civil documents are returned to the applicant at time of interview at the post. "

...so reading btwn the lines, my interpretation is that the NVC will not issue a visa fee bill/choice of agent unless a visa number is available...the visa number is allocated after packet 3 is reviewed...

dot70,
it might be a different process for alpha posts where NVC does all the process plus interview scheduling.
whereas for consulates in chennai, mumbai, etc consulates do this and they do schedule based on visa numbers. if you are not on chargeability areas affected by PD, chill your interview will come very shortly.
all the best.

/S

from murthy.com

As predicted, the Department of State (DOS) has announced that the Employment Based, 3rd Preference (EB3) visa numbers for India, mainland China, and the Philippines will retrogress on January 1, 2005. The EB3 numbers for nationals of the listed countries will retrogress to January 1, 2002. This means that, as of January 1, 2005, anyone who is the beneficiary of a labor certification (or I-140 if a labor certification was not required) in the EB3 category filed on or after January 1, 2002, will not be permitted to file the I-485 or have a consular interview for an immigrant visa until the numbers move beyond this date. The DOS has indicated that further retrogression may be possible in future months.

It clearly states that No Interview would be scheduled for noncurrent PD Holders.
And to make it worse it speaks of further retrogression ... I'm soooo screwed... my PD is Nov2002. Guess it would take another 100 years...... Guess I-485 is he safer route.

I DONT KNOW WHERE MURTHY.COM got their info from as the visa bulletin does not speak a TAD BIT of what they are speculating.

/S

r_sada,

I'm sure murthy's website is not randomly giving out news, but I would presume that it's a caculated speculation with info from any contacts they have ...

My case was sent to NWD on Nov 19, is there a chance that the interview will be scheduled in Dec? for sometime in Jan / Feb?

Thanks

We are still not sure if NVC sends P3 to the consulate after getting a Visa number. If it does, then there is nothing to worry.

The other side of the debate is that the visa number is allotted when the Consulate sends P4.

P.S.: Am not a lawyer. All opinions are out of personal understanding.

dgc2005 said:
We are still not sure if NVC sends P3 to the consulate after getting a Visa number. If it does, then there is nothing to worry.

The other side of the debate is that the visa number is allotted when the Consulate sends P4.

P.S.: Am not a lawyer. All opinions are out of personal understanding.

I went through CP myself and my understanding is that a Visa number availability is a must at ALL stages of the process including up to the day of the interview! Confused? There have been cases where the consulates have conducted more interviews and have run out of Visa numbers at the end of the month. In such cases they have conducted the interview and asked for the applicant(s) to stay back for week until they are allowed to dip in to the next month's Visa numbers. So regardless of retrogression Visa number availability is a must at all stages, a non current PD will stop the process immediately regardless of the stage. Generally consulates which process a large number of applications such as in India occassionally run of out numbers.

Big Ben enjoy the harbour view from the US consulate in Sydney, not to mention the summer. Lucky you:)

Does that mean people having interviews post January 1st can still be stuck in Jan ?

Also, in that case all 485 guys who are not approved will be stuck post Jan 1st, since they will also require PD to be current in all stages.

Do you have 1st hand info about somebody giving an interview in CP and held back due to PD ?

dgc2005 said:
Also, in that case all 485 guys who are not approved will be stuck post Jan 1st, since they will also require PD to be current in all stages.

Do you have 1st hand info about somebody giving an interview in CP and held back due to PD ?

People who will have filed 485 applications prior to 31st December will be able to "file" them and more importantly obtain EAD and AP so for all purposes they will be immune. But if some one sticks with CP and is not eligible in January 05 or until PD is current they can't file for 485 either.

Yeah now we started talking abt the disadvantages of CP as well ... One of the big ones is that we dont have any provisions for AP with CP option. This means that you are stuck, waiting for the Interview and cant even leave USA till the time you get your IV at the consulate. Only then would be allowed back to US. This is the case if you have H1B 6 yrs expiration during the waiting period for CP Interview.

Thanks

Bhasu
i need to understand this a little better,
If we are waiting for interview and then extend H1 for one year can we not fly out and stamp our H1 to come into the country.
why would that option be ruled out ?

/s