When Is The Visa Number Assigned ?

r_sada

Registered Users (C)
ALL GURUS
PLEASE ANSWER THIS PRESSING QUESTION

granted its been asked many different times in many different fashion

The important timing criteria for the PD regress revolves around the fact when the Visa number for a case is assigned in the CP process.
Can some body give some LIGHT on this one

1. Does it get assigned when the case is completed and sent to consulate

2. Does it get assigned when the interview date is given

When does it really happen
Many different answers have floated, if we can nail a concrete answer for this all of the cases from now on in CP will get a clear distinction as to whats going to happen in the next 3-6 months.

/S

Sometime back I read a State Dept visa process procedure. As per that your PD should be current at the time of interview and even at the time of entering USA after interview.

Think it gets assigned @ NVC. Approved I-140 would sit at NVC and NVC wouldn't do anything until the PD becomes current.

Below is from the NVC website. Although it sounds as if worded for Family Based assume also holds true to EB catergory.

NVC ROLE AND FORMS

When an applicant's priority date is close to becoming current, NVC will send an Affidavit of Support (I-864 form) processing fee bill to the petitioner and an Agent of Choice and Address (DS-3032) form to the applicant. Once the I-864 processing fee is paid, NVC will send the I-864 forms and instructions to the petitioner. Once NVC receives the form DS-3032 from the applicant, NVC will mail the Immigrant Visa (IV) fee bill to the agent of choice. Once the IV fee bill is paid, NVC will send the Instruction Packet of forms and information to the agent. The exact contents of the Instruction Packet will depend on where the applicant will be interviewed for a visa. For instance, the Instruction Packet we send to people applying in China is different from the one we send to applicants in France. Information in the Instruction Packet that can currently be downloaded from this web site is listed below:

Rashmi

r_sada said:
ALL GURUS

The important timing criteria for the PD regress revolves around the fact when the Visa number for a case is assigned in the CP process.

Many different answers have floated, if we can nail a concrete answer for this all of the cases from now on in CP will get a clear distinction as to whats going to happen in the next 3-6 months.

/S

r_sada,

per my attorney, visa number is assigned when the interview date is assigned by the consulate.

BH
r_sada said:
ALL GURUS

/S

After a few beers >

Intezar,
Once the alcohol settles in blood, i care less now :)
but yes at this point we have no control
your case was sent on Oct 26 mine , Oct 15th
Second GC application, first got stuck for 3 years in Labor in one of the big corporations which has a Scott as the top exec
and now this issue
You can now realize im drunk now :)
but it feels good

/S

I am not sure this means visa number is assigned at the NVC. This just means NVC begins processing when visa number is close to becoming current.

My case was sent on Oct 26. I am not sure whether it will go thro or not.

SDD

rashmi_rau said:
Think it gets assigned @ NVC. Approved I-140 would sit at NVC and NVC wouldn't do anything until the PD becomes current.

Below is from the NVC website. Although it sounds as if worded for Family Based assume also holds true to EB catergory.

NVC ROLE AND FORMS

When an applicant's priority date is close to becoming current, NVC will send an Affidavit of Support (I-864 form) processing fee bill to the petitioner and an Agent of Choice and Address (DS-3032) form to the applicant. Once the I-864 processing fee is paid, NVC will send the I-864 forms and instructions to the petitioner. Once NVC receives the form DS-3032 from the applicant, NVC will mail the Immigrant Visa (IV) fee bill to the agent of choice. Once the IV fee bill is paid, NVC will send the Instruction Packet of forms and information to the agent. The exact contents of the Instruction Packet will depend on where the applicant will be interviewed for a visa. For instance, the Instruction Packet we send to people applying in China is different from the one we send to applicants in France. Information in the Instruction Packet that can currently be downloaded from this web site is listed below:

Rashmi

r_sada said:
PLease read this link
about visa number allotment
atlast i found one publication that says when the visa numbers are allocated.

http://www.greencardlawyers.com/greencards/ConsularProcessing/consularprocessing.html

/S
Sada,

Great info - it means that the visa number is alloted once the P3 process is complete. Here is a portion of the article for the benefit of others & sincerely hope this attorney is right:

The NVC notifies the State Department Visa Office of the completed Packet 3 processing and requests allocation of visa numbers for the alien and his family. This will happen in about 10 days.

Maybe not. This link says that if NVC schedules appointment (Appointment Review), then NVC requests Visa Number, if Consulate schedules appointment (Standard Review), then it does not mention that NVC requests for Visa Number. It seems to be implied in Step 7 that the consulate requests for one.

http://members.aol.com/MDUdall/NVCTour.htm

SDD

snm65 said:
Sada,

Great info - it means that the visa number is alloted once the P3 process is complete. Here is a portion of the article for the benefit of others & sincerely hope this attorney is right:

The NVC notifies the State Department Visa Office of the completed Packet 3 processing and requests allocation of visa numbers for the alien and his family. This will happen in about 10 days.

Priority date - Health care workers factor

:) I think people with PDs in 2001 need not worry. Health care workers and some therapists do not go through labor process. They can apply for I140 and
485 at the same time. Their PD is I140 receipt date.

My guess is USCIS would like to restrict the benefit of concurrent filing to Nurses and other health care workers. Because these guys get maximum benefit out of backlog reduction program.

If your PD is in 2001 sleep happily/do not drink too much Beer.

Priority date - Health care workers factor-Correction

Be happy if your PD is in 2002 and EB-3

Response from Chennai consulate ---

I changed my email id for privacy..
But below is the email i got from chennai consulate when i sent them an email about the PD concerns we have.
My wife is in india and she called the consulate and they told her the same and also asked her to refer the email that they had sent me.
HTH
/S

Date: 11/19/2004 11:59:14 +0530
To: <XXX@XXXXX.com>
Subject: RE: Reg :MDR2004697013 All headers
The priority date for E3 is current.
So you will get your appointment in January/February.

Visa Information Unit
American Consulate General
220, Anna Salai
Chennai 600 006
India
Phone - 91-44-28112060(dir), 28112000(board)
Fax - 91-44- 28112020, 28112027
Website - http://chennai.usconsulate.gov

Sada,

I know how frustrated you are..sit tight :).. we all get Jan/Feb interview. Thats my gut feeling atleast.

Jeet

email to consulate

below is the email,

Dear Sir,Madam,
My case review was completed in NVC and sent to chennai consulate on
October 15th 2004. I checked the dates published for December interview
appointments and found its not published there.
I presume i have to wait for the next update.

Meanwhile there is a lot exchanges among candidates waiting for
interviews in immigration discussion forums about the impact of EB3
Priority dates and its impact on interview scheduling.
I thought it will be helpful if i can get some clarity around the same.

The priority date and visa number allocation and its impact on
interview scheduling does cause a big concern and will certainly
appreciate if you could revert back on the same.

Looking forward

/S

Once and for all: A visa number must be available (means your priority date should be current) at EVERY STAGE in the process. Just because it went from stage i to stage i+1 doesn't mean you're through. Even if it has reached consulate, it can still wait there for years. Finally, the consulate asks NVC to ISSUE you a visa number and only then schedules an interview. Until you get the interview call, there is NO GUARANTEE of anything.

On the question of how the visa number is allocated. Your priority date is your labor application date. Your priority date indicates how old your application is.

Congress has allotted some number of visas to EB3. And NVC can allot only a certain number (x) of visas every quarter. So the que starts building up. There is no que now. But Oct-Dec quarter is getting over. For Jan quarter, there will be a que.

So they sort the applications for I-485 and CP by date and the oldest x applications are given visas. The state dept is saying that you and I completed the obstacle course too soon, so we will have to stand aside and wait for the oldies to go through. When yours becomes the oldest application, you will get a visa. The priority date for the last application getting a visa becomes the cutoff date. So if your priority date is before the cutoff date, you get a green card interview or I-485 decision, otherwise not.

Most likely, the cutoff date is going to be in 2001 or early 2002.

emailraja said:
Once and for all: A visa number must be available (means your priority date should be current) at EVERY STAGE in the process. Just because it went from stage i to stage i+1 doesn't mean you're through. Even if it has reached consulate, it can still wait there for years. Finally, the consulate asks NVC to ISSUE you a visa number and only then schedules an interview. Until you get the interview call, there is NO GUARANTEE of anything.

On the question of how the visa number is allocated. Your priority date is your labor application date. Your priority date indicates how old your application is.

Congress has allotted some number of visas to EB3. And NVC can allot only a certain number (x) of visas every quarter. So the que starts building up. There is no que now. But Oct-Dec quarter is getting over. For Jan quarter, there will be a que.

So they sort the applications for I-485 and CP by date and the oldest x applications are given visas. The state dept is saying that you and I completed the obstacle course too soon, so we will have to stand aside and wait for the oldies to go through. When yours becomes the oldest application, you will get a visa. The priority date for the last application getting a visa becomes the cutoff date. So if your priority date is before the cutoff date, you get a green card interview or I-485 decision, otherwise not.

Most likely, the cutoff date is going to be in 2001 or early 2002.

I concur with all the information that you had sent , i beleive thats the way it works. But yet there is one small issue in which im still not clear.

Every month the consulate posts send their request to Dept of State for Visa numbers by the 8th of the month. DOS receives the request and releases numbers and based on what is released they publish the cut off dates on 15th of the month in the VISA BULLETIN.

Now my question this for those cases that has reached the consulate say take an example my case.
NVC sent the case on Oct 15th, Even if i beleive it takes 10 days by Oct 25th or Oct 30th My case should have reached Chennai consulate.
I sent an email first week of November 1st or 2nd and got a response that my intervew will be likely in January.

with that said,
1. when does consulate request visa numbers for these type of cases ?
2. Does consulate request visa numbers for the following month (now it will be for january) by the 8th of the month(Dec 8th) and then schedule December interviews or is it done atleast a month in advance ?
3.Last question, if in case we get a interview date scheduled ( by some miracle) in december and i go for interview in January what is the effect of the PDs not being current at the time of the interview ? Will this happen at all , im going to have to guess it will happen (atleast for some cases who had an interview in December and postponed to January)

How will these be handled.
Shed some light please,

/S