When is the lawyer needed at interview?

steffi

Registered Users (C)
Why is a lawyer necessary at interview? My lawyer will charge $900 to attend the interview. I'm just wondering why they wil be needed.

What has your lawyer done for you in the past?

Depends on your case

Steffi,
If you have all the things in hands to provide to the Immigration during your interview and you have nothing to worry about...I'd suggest you spend not a penny.
I never consulted a lawyer nor seeked a lawyer and my papers went well and this week I had my interview. Only thing I am waiting is to get my second fingerprints. Once they receive that I dont even go to the DO for any thing unless I would want my passport to be stamped.
Also, during our visit to the DO for interview, only one lawyer was visible in our sight and that was for some elderly couple who were sitting right next to us and there case seemed little complex to begin with. Well, I wish they had success.
To conclude, all upto you. Is it necesarry, not really!! There are so much of resources online and in worst situation, just call the USCIS customer number and have them answer your q's...if you dont like the answer call again and get a second opinion from some one else. This has been my experience.
Best of luck!

How does the typical interview go down?

So what happens at the interview? How long do they usually take?

If I've been married to my wife since 2001 are they going to question whether or not my marriage is geniune?

steffi said:
So what happens at the interview? How long do they usually take?

If I've been married to my wife since 2001 are they going to question whether or not my marriage is geniune?
My interview took 20 minutes. 2 minutes for the fingerprinting, 3 minutes for the oath and introduction and why we were there. Then we spent 10 minutes talking about Halo2 (it had just came out the previous night) during which my wife complained to the immigration officer about my craze for PS2. It turned out that she was sick and tired of her husband's craze too so there was a mutual bond between my wife and her. The next 5 minutes she looked at the tax papers, lease agreement, pay stubs and affidavit of support. Then she explained to us the process and that I will have to wait for FBI name clearance before I get my approval.

Piece of cake!

steffi said:
Why is a lawyer necessary at interview? My lawyer will charge $900 to attend the interview. I'm just wondering why they wil be needed.

What has your lawyer done for you in the past?

I went to an interview this week. The advantage I saw for having a lawyer is that you don't have to wait for long line to get to the security guard. For somehow, the INS office in Orlando was very busy the day I went. I was waiting outsite pretty long to get in. I saw some people brought their lawyer with them. It is like a VIP pass. If you have everything ready, you may not need your lawyer unless you have a complicated case.

So was a joint bank account necessary?

Did they look for dual ownership WRT to assets? ie. joint back accounts etc?

How important is it to show joint assets at the interview?

I'm having a hard time believing that it's worth $900 for the lawyer in our case.

My wife and I have been married since 2001 and we've cohabited together in the US since March 2004.

EricNeesGC said:
My interview took 20 minutes. 2 minutes for the fingerprinting, 3 minutes for the oath and introduction and why we were there. Then we spent 10 minutes talking about Halo2 (it had just came out the previous night) during which my wife complained to the immigration officer about my craze for PS2. It turned out that she was sick and tired of her husband's craze too so there was a mutual bond between my wife and her. The next 5 minutes she looked at the tax papers, lease agreement, pay stubs and affidavit of support. Then she explained to us the process and that I will have to wait for FBI name clearance before I get my approval.

Piece of cake!

Ok, you may need a lawyer IF you have done something not appropiate in the past or if your wife is not planning to go to the interview or something else bizarre, other than that you should not hire a lawyer to go to the interview, I had mine not so long ago and the BCIS guy was very rude but oh well, 20 minutes after I was granted the residency (permanent, because I've been married 2 1/2 years) and 3 weeks after (yesterday :)) I got my GC in the mail. Overpaid lawyers are not going to assist you more than what you can do in the interview. By the way, YOU need at least 4 things or MORE (the more the merrier) that shows joint ownership. He asked me for 4 only. I gave him my last tax return, our apartment lease, a joint bank account with a balance of $11 (yes, $11 dollars, not that I don't love my wife but she spend it ALL , so long ago I decided not to deposit money that often) and a bill for Dishnetwork with both of our names on it. He didn't even look nor request any pictures. One thing, he asked for each others pay stubs.

Hi Fanito..I have question about Affidavity of Support..My spouse USC,who is the sponsorer..currently have a job which is abopve 125% but he doen't have past tax returns as he was in Med school..Can he give some explanation for that..is it possible? or he needs joint sponsor..as we don't want to have one..please help

Didn't he filled for tax return at all? as far as I know what they are worried is thatyou become poor after the marriage and use welfare benefits. What stage are you in? if you are going to file for the first time its ok. List all your assets at that time, once you get the interview (the final one) you should have more than enough evidence that you guys are over 125%. My situation was similar and my wife and I barely made it (we included my assets too), once you get your EAD and if you both are willing to work will be fine. So many people turned us down for the sponsorship situation so don't worry, it will be fine...

Hi Fanito..thanks for your reply.He never worked before..so he never filed for it.I have a job and tax returns but we live in different states.My fiance now makes more than 125%.What assests you want us to show for final interview?
Thank you

it's 125% combined if I'm not wrong. Now, when did you got married, how long have you been living with your husband (together)? Even if he doesn't (or didn't) work while married you guys should've filed for Taxes, the most important is MARRIED, FILLING JOINTLY. Even if his part is nil. For the first document that I submitted my assets were barely (including her stuff) minimal. She was going to go to school full time and that was how I met her. Also, she was living with her parents before she move in with me. So, I remember that I put her car, my car, her income (which was not even part-time) and the money that my parents sent me for school. It was miserable because we tried to find sponsors but I knew that at the time of the interview (which was 2 1/2 years later) I would be able to file way above 125% with just only my salary, including hers, of course, was way more. In the final interview he asked for the 1099's and that was it... I got it approved, 12 days after I got in the mail the permanent GC (because it was over 2yrs). If you give me a time line it might be a little better.

I forgot something, even if you make 0 (zero) in a year he needs to file for taxes. Just put (zero) everywhere. Sometimes is hard to overcome that part with the USCIS

Hi Fanito..Thanks for reply.We are getting married next month and we live in different cities.So if he files for zero tax returns for past three years and shows now above 125% in Affidavity of support?is it fine?I can't include mine as we live in diff cities.Thanks