When is 'THE CIR' getting discussed??

www.immigration-law has reported as follow:

02/18/2007: Need for Immigration Reform and Concerns with Growing Gridlock in Legislations in the Congress

* The Democrats launched a new Congress with aggressive platforms and legislative agenda on January 4, 2007. Madame Pelosy of the House set the first 100-day legislative agenda and the Senate Majority Leader, Harry Reid presented on the Senate floor ten legislative bills as top priority for the first few months of the Senate.
* However, immersed in the party politics, the Congress left the Hill yesterday, Saturday, for a week long break without achieving a lot because of the gridlock it had faced in the Congress. Samo, Samo Washington politics involving the Republicans and Democrats. It practically means that the Congress wll not resume the active legislative activities until March 2007.
* S. 9, the Comprehensive Immigration Reform bill adopted by the Senate floor, is in the Judiciary Committee of the Senate. The newly elected Chairman of the Judiciary Committee, Sen. Leahy, reportedly set the CIR as one of the top agenda of the Judiciary Committee for March 2007 and the Democratic leaders reportedly determined to pass the CIR by April 2007 and quickly send it over to the House for its prompt action. How beautiful the agenda of the new Congress.
* We want to watch carefully how closely the leaders of the House and Senate will follow through the agenda. In a way, from the perspectives of this immigration legislation agenda, we are releaved that the Congress was over with the most serious road block to the Congress, to wit, rebuke of Bush's resurge in Iraq.

Do we know an exact date for it to be on the senate floor?

-p

Just feels,seems and sounds that we are nothing more than spectators of this retrogression drama.To follow all this politics and be hopeful of a meeting/debate rather than a result is just being too optimistic for me.The unfortunate attacks/war has stretched US in a hole and we are indirectly paying for it.

I have relocated back home and at times drop in out of curiousity.As for me I feel very good to be with my family and friends and look forward to re-start my career.Though I never did plan for this !

As someone mentioned,make decisions based on personal circumstances without regard to the GC process.

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going !

Just feels,seems and sounds that we are nothing more than spectators of this retrogression drama.To follow all this politics and be hopeful of a meeting/debate rather than a result is just being too optimistic for me.The unfortunate attacks/war has stretched US in a hole and we are indirectly paying for it.

I have relocated back home and at times drop in out of curiousity.As for me I feel very good to be with my family and friends and look forward to re-start my career.Though I never did plan for this !

As someone mentioned,make decisions based on personal circumstances without regard to the GC process.

When the going gets tough, the tough gets going !

I am not sure what is going on with CIR bill. There has been talk about the CIR since October 2005, but nothing happened. I was waiting and hoping that my PD would become current. I guess we would have to wait until Oct 2008.......well, normally pending bills will be passed before the elections.

CIR in its current form doesn't stand a chance to be passed. Spin it however you want .... but the fact is that "It is a mass Amnesty" which I oppose vey much. Someone should not be rewarded for bad behaviour by breaking the law and being here illegally for years.... that doesn't make sense to me.... If someone has hopes that the new democratic majority in the house gives a better chance of passing,
think again.... Most of the newly elected democratic congressmen/congresswemen are conservative and they wouldn't support such a move of "mass amnesty" for fear of the fact they would need to do a lot of explaining to do with their constituents.

Having said all this,I beleive that it is fundamentally wrong to club reforms for legal immigration with amnesty to fence-jumpers. But the wise men and women in the house and senate think otherwise.

My guess is that the chances for CIR getting passed is very little or none and after its failure, if big corporations lobby heavily for some interim relief,then there is a very good chance for things like more EB visa numbers or unused visa numbers availability(I do think increase in H1B numbers is more or less automatic and it is just a matter of time before that happens) becoming a law.

jmj,
remember that 245(i) was passed, and it was also an amnesty.
I wish there was a separate bill for legals, but in the absence of it I would prefer CIR to pass than nothing

CIR Hearing Notice

For some reason, your first link is not operational

Here is the text:

DATE: February 28, 2007
TIME: 10:00 AM
ROOM: Hart-216
OFFICIAL HEARING NOTICE / WITNESS LIST:

February 21, 2007

The hearing on "Comprehensive Immigration Reform" scheduled by the Senate Committee on the Judiciary for Wednesday, February 28, 2007 at 10:00 a.m. will take place in Room 216 of the Hart Senate Office Building.

By order of the Chairman

Witness List

Hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee on
"Comprehensive Immigration Reform"
Wednesday, February 28, 2007
Hart Senate Office Building Room 216
10:00 a.m.

The Honorable Carlos M. Gutierrez
Secretary
U.S. Department of Commerce
Washington, D.C.

The Honorable Michael Chertoff
Secretary
U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Washington, D.C.

Even if Senate passes this bill, then it will move to House. However, House would have their own priority list. This seems to me like this bill is not going anywhere......round and round you go!

I am against fence jumpers myself.

But here is a fact, there are officially 11 mil illegals. Realistically close to 15-20 mil. They do not have law enforcement to handle them. Nor do they have jails to put all of them in or make them fly back. What do you do?

Would you remove tax payer funds to handle that mess? Do you increase taxes for this? Would you like to be re-elected for this? How can you turn this around to your advantage?

How many legals are there? Will they stop paying taxes if you do not cater to them? Will they stop working in US because of this? Will they cause riot? No !!! Everybody knows that so nobody cares.

That is the hard and fast truth. It is like beating against the wall.

CIR in its current form doesn't stand a chance to be passed. Spin it however you want .... but the fact is that "It is a mass Amnesty" which I oppose vey much. Someone should not be rewarded for bad behaviour by breaking the law and being here illegally for years.... that doesn't make sense to me.... If someone has hopes that the new democratic majority in the house gives a better chance of passing,
think again.... Most of the newly elected democratic congressmen/congresswemen are conservative and they wouldn't support such a move of "mass amnesty" for fear of the fact they would need to do a lot of explaining to do with their constituents.

Having said all this,I beleive that it is fundamentally wrong to club reforms for legal immigration with amnesty to fence-jumpers. But the wise men and women in the house and senate think otherwise.

My guess is that the chances for CIR getting passed is very little or none and after its failure, if big corporations lobby heavily for some interim relief,then there is a very good chance for things like more EB visa numbers or unused visa numbers availability(I do think increase in H1B numbers is more or less automatic and it is just a matter of time before that happens) becoming a law.

You are right, we seen this drama in 2006. Unfortunately, we don't have any option except CIR. Democrat leadership don't want to give any thing to EB community outside CIR. For them legal are not priority. They are keen to address illegal issue and they can not address it without incorporating legals. They don't want to give any piecemeal to dying EB community as support to CIR would be badly affected by doing so.

Few month from now, I suggested to push slogan of "Legal immigrants First" aggressively to lawmakers and media but nothing was flow out.

Bottom line is; We like or not, CIR is the only rider for us

Even if Senate passes this bill, then it will move to House. However, House would have their own priority list. This seems to me like this bill is not going anywhere......round and round you go!

khodalmd,gcwhenver,gc_retrogress,

Thanks guys !! It is very heartening to hear back from you all on this.....

I agree with yr views but then realistically speaking - Do you guys think that CIR has a chance of becoming law ?

It would be practically impossible to evict all these 15-20 million illegals and also foolish to use tax payers money for this. Given all this - Why in the world Does the senate and house especially have a hard time reaching a resolution and ultimately enacting it into law ?? just plain politics for votes....

Also one other point .... There are chances that even if CIR passes,they might strip out some important EB provisions from that and in that case we might be left out high and dry....

Finally, as many of you,I want something to be done to address this retro mess and in big picture the immi mess, but at the same time I don't want some beginners who frequent this forum, to think that CIR will bring them relief by the end of this summer...

I'm one, who hopes for the best but is prepared for the worst !!

khodalmd,gcwhenver,gc_retrogress,

Thanks guys !! It is very heartening to hear back from you all on this.....

I agree with yr views but then realistically speaking - Do you guys think that CIR has a chance of becoming law ?

It would be practically impossible to evict all these 15-20 million illegals and also foolish to use tax payers money for this. Given all this - Why in the world Does the senate and house especially have a hard time reaching a resolution and ultimately enacting it into law ?? just plain politics for votes....

Also one other point .... There are chances that even if CIR passes,they might strip out some important EB provisions from that and in that case we might be left out high and dry....

Finally, as many of you,I want something to be done to address this retro mess and in big picture the immi mess, but at the same time I don't want some beginners who frequent this forum, to think that CIR will bring them relief by the end of this summer...

I'm one, who hopes for the best but is prepared for the worst !!
You are correct in that politically speaking, it is going to be tough to get CIR passed because either way they will lose votes (from anti-immigs, or 12 million illegals+corporations).
But pressure is also mounting and everyday the media is reporting something about immigration.
Personally, I think once a decision has been made on Iraq, Congress will have to come to terms and debate CIR, but it will only pass if it becomes a bipartisan issue, and both Dems and Republicans decide to pass it, which is more possible this year: even though the Dems are conservative, the Republicans left behind are mostly moderate (except for tancredo and sessions). And many senators are pro immigration and CIR (kennedy, feinstein, schumer, mccain, Zoe Lofgren)
In lame duck they needed every single vote to get skil passed, so sessions removed that possibility. But with a bill, majority is enough, so if only 1-2 peeople oppose it, it can still pass.
But to your point, since the Dems are also mostly conservative, I think we can expect tougher enforcement at employer level and more deportation, which for legals is not such a bad thing. Legals with substitute labor will suffer, and already you are seeing LCs and I-140s getting rejected because of claims that employer did not respond to USC candidates, demanding proof that they were contacted. So I think the good old days to get LC and I-140 passed easily with a wink and a nod are gone. But that may not be a bad thing in legitimate cases where the employer was really unable to find USC workers.

Please, please. This question on how to handle "the 11 million illegals" has been answered accordingly multiple times. It is obvious that one should not deport 20 million people overnight. As far as I know no one sane has suggested that. Not even the most vocal opponents of amnesty. The right away to handle this is by simply enforcing existing laws. A significant number of people would *gradually* deport themselves. Note the word 'gradually'. Others who remain could be then reported occasionally. That would take many years, but that is not a problem at all because the cost is very low and perhaps even more important, that discourage other illegals from coming here. In some small towns, authorities implemented basic laws such as denying rent to illegal aliens and the result is obviously very positive;most people there illegally leave voluntarily. Anyone serious know that the above makes sense. It is just because people arguing against or is an illegal alien, or sleep with an illegal alien or want to profit somehow from illegal aliens. I am sorry but that is the true.

Then at that point, if it is true that the economy can benefit from cheap labor, simply incrase the freaking numbers and processing times for greencards. Temporary guest-worker programs never worked anyway. That is not a perfect solution, but for now that should satisfy employers who are hungry for cheap labor.

One thing I am sure:it CIR doesn't pass at this time, you can expect this to surface again perhaps only in mid of late 2009. It may pass now, who knows.

I am against fence jumpers myself.

But here is a fact, there are officially 11 mil illegals. Realistically close to 15-20 mil. They do not have law enforcement to handle them. Nor do they have jails to put all of them in or make them fly back. What do you do?

Would you remove tax payer funds to handle that mess? Do you increase taxes for this? Would you like to be re-elected for this? How can you turn this around to your advantage?

How many legals are there? Will they stop paying taxes if you do not cater to them? Will they stop working in US because of this? Will they cause riot? No !!! Everybody knows that so nobody cares.

That is the hard and fast truth. It is like beating against the wall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaker Nancy Pelosi speaks about Innovation, economic and technological advancement and competitiveness!! But where is action??? It is not only frustrating but surprising as well.

http://speaker.gov/issues?id=0016

I wrote letter to speaker and explained the situation of skilled immigrants and urge to address issue of Legal immigrant first with priority.

I would urge every one to write more and more to key Congressmen/women and explain our situation.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaker Nancy Pelosi speaks about Innovation, economic and technological advancement and competitiveness!! But where is action??? It is not only frustrating but surprising as well.

http://speaker.gov/issues?id=0016

I wrote letter to speaker and explained the situation of skilled immigrants and urge to address issue of Legal immigrant first with priority.

I would urge every one to write more and more to key Congressmen/women and explain our situation.
Thanks
she's not saying anything abut immigration in this, only special visa for PhDs

Yes you are right; she didn't directly spoke about skilled immigration but indirectly she spoke lot of about competitiveness which helps our cause.

"America's global leadership in technological advancement and innovation is being seriously challenged by other countries. The warning signs could not be clearer. The rest of the world is increasing its capacity, its investments, and its will to catch up with us. We cannot ignore this challenge. Americans again must innovate in order to create new thriving industries that will produce millions of good jobs here at home and a better future for our children.

We must make the decision now to ensure that America remains the world leader. Working with leaders from the high-technology, venture capital, academic, biotech and telecommunications sectors, we have identified and are committed to priorities that will guarantee our national security and prosperity, expand markets for American products, and assert economic leadership throughout the world. Together, America can do better."

she's not saying anything abut immigration in this, only special visa for PhDs

gcwhenever,

Lets hope that the house and the senate gives this vital issue a serious discussion and reach an agreement.

marlon,

Although I agree that enforcing the law is the right thing to do,I'm not sure it would have an effect b'cos there is heavy lobbying from corps who benefit from employing illegals and so they would be very reluctant to implement strict measures in hiring people. Yep,if CIR or any EB relief doesn't get passed this time,it is very likely that we are in for a loooong wait since 2008 would be an election year and politicians want to play it safe.