• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

when is Social Security Number issued?

andrewps21

Registered Users (C)
Hi I am looking into getting a US Bank account before i travel to the usa. It seems like i will need a SSN, which i believe is issued after you enter the us.

Does anyone have any information about how/when ssn are issued to green card holders and how if i will be able to open a bank account before i arrive?

Thanks

I don't think you get an SSN until a little while after arriving in the USA. However, we set up several US Bank accounts without one. The main problem is, since the terrorist attacks, the banks seem more strict on you coming in to the bank in person to set up the account. I work with a lot of UK villa owners, and as far as I know, to date, no one has found a bank that will still let you set up an account without appearing in person.

The only exception I know of is Citibank, as they have branches in the UK as well as the USA (and probably in many other countries too). I believe they allow you to set up UK and US accounts simultaneously, and you can also transfer money between the accounts online with near market exchange rates too. I think you have to put your regular salary in to that account and maintain a minimum balance of around £2500 to do it. Again, not sure how that alll works for other countries.

Thanks for that - yeah citi bank have branches in sydney so i might look into that further. Otherwise i'll just put everything on credit card to begin with until my ssn is issued and i can get a bank account in person.