when is a case transferred to local office ?

gc_watcher

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I recently came to know that my case was transferred to San jose Office for further processing. My case is extremely straightforward ... single employer, no criminal record, no health issues ... it looks like one is called for an interview only if there is a problem with one of the above factors. So I am surprised to see my case being offloaded to local office.
Is there anybody else on the same boat as me?

Thanks

EB2, RIR RD Sept 2001
I140, Approved Dec 29, 2004
I-485 transferred to local office Dec 17, 2004

gc_watcher,

My lawyer told me that she is seeing lot of transfers to local office for quality assurance purposes. She says that she goes to San Jose office almost every day for her clients' interviews and lot of cases are straight-forward. Mine is also a simple case but I still have an interview on 1/12. Don't worry too much about the interview, just collect all the docs.

Has anyone heard or seen cases transferred because the non-immigrant visas that the person was on expired during GC processing? I read that somewhere on the web that this might be a flagged reason.
If so, then my transfer would fit under this category as my H1B expired and wasn't renewed before the 140 was approved.

It is a given that your case would be transferred if you have been out of status or if you have criminal history (and I heard some AC-21 cases get transferred too). But even if your case doesn't fall into above categories, it could get transferred for other innocuous reasons like quality assurance, load balancing of work, etc.

how bout tax errors? I know they take the tax returns from past 3 years? Is it possible some problem showed up?

Depends on the type of error. If you were married but filed as single, or if your total wages in 1040 is very less than the the wage described in LC, it *might* trigger an interview. Again, it might be just a random thing why your case got transferred. Just because it got transferred doesn't mean there is something bad in your application.