When exactly are you considered overstayed?

patty579

Registered Users (C)
My visa expires by the end of March, but we have to wait for a couple of things, before we can mail the petition/application.. probably for another 2 weeks. :rolleyes:

Does the postal stamp on the application play a role here or do they take the date when I received their receipt notice for my application? Would I be considered overstayed if I sent it BEFORE my visa expired, but they didn't send the receipt notice until AFTER my visa expired?

Thanks in advance for any comments! :)

Does anyone know?

I've been trying to find posts with a similar topic, but no-one seems to be too sure about overstaying.
I've also read here many times that overstays are forgiven if you are married to a USC. But on my instructions to I-485 it says that you are not eligible to apply if
"Your authorized stay expired before you filed this application".

What do you think?

This is what i read from the instructions of the I-485.

You are not eligible for adjustment of status if any of the following apply to you:

You failed to maintain your nonimmigrant status, through no fault of your own or for technical reasons; unless you are applying because you are:
-- An immediate relative of a United States citizen (parent, spouse, widow, widower or unmarried child under 21 years old)

This mean you are eligible to apply for I-485 as you are the spouse of a USC eventhough you overstayed your visa.

Thanks Ari. I didn't even see that, to be honest.
In general, I find the instructions very confusing sometimes. I mean, isn't it contradicting itself??

But your reply definitely made me stop worrying about this now, so thanks again!! :eek:

I dont think it is contradictory. This form is used by various categories of applicants to adjust status and there is an eligibility criteria every applicant has to meet in order to file I-485. Being the immediate relative of a USC, a lot of those restrictions do not apply to you and you can still apply for I-485 and adjust your status even if you do not meet the eligibility criteria mentioned.

ari4u said:

You are not eligible for adjustment of status if any of the following apply to you:

You failed to maintain your nonimmigrant status, through no fault of your own or for technical reasons; unless you are applying because you are:
-- An immediate relative of a United States citizen (parent, spouse, widow, widower or unmarried child under 21 years old)

This is what kind of concerns me, the way they put it: "through no fault of your own or technical reasons".
So, for example if my parents tourist visa expires and they decide to stay, that, in my opinion is their fault and it's not covered under the above provision?!?

Suzy977 said:
This is what kind of concerns me, the way they put it: "through no fault of your own or technical reasons".
So, for example if my parents tourist visa expires and they decide to stay, that, in my opinion is their fault and it's not covered under the above provision?!?

the key in this case is unless they are immediate relatives of a USC

rex1960 said:
the key in this case is unless they are immediate relatives of a USC

I totally agree with you.
But they don't say "failed to maintain nonimmigrant status PERIOD" they aded that b.s. regarding "no fault of your own" or "technical" reasons, this is what worries me!?!

Suzy977 said:
I totally agree with you.
But they don't say "failed to maintain nonimmigrant status PERIOD" they aded that b.s. regarding "no fault of your own" or "technical" reasons, this is what worries me!?!
It is a matter of logic and grammar.

There are two different cases in the first place:

1) You are an immediate (direct) relative or not. In this case you might overstay your visa even if it's your own fault

2) You are NOT an immediate realtive. In this case you better don't overstay your visa.

Don't worry to much and please don't put too much into it.

rex1960 said:
It is a matter of logic and grammar.

There are two different cases in the first place:

1) You are an immediate (direct) relative or not. In this case you might overstay your visa even if it's your own fault

2) You are NOT an immediate realtive. In this case you better don't overstay your visa.

Don't worry to much and please don't put too much into it.

Thank you. :)
You know with INS nothing is clear, White or Black, there are too manny gray shades...

Suzy977 said:
Thank you. :)
You know with INS nothing is clear, White or Black, there are too manny gray shades...
I beg to differ. I find it pretty clear and it's a law you can rely on even if it's not clear what human officers, immigration lawyers and posters here make of it. At least at the appeal court somebody's going to look at the clear text of the law. That's one of the things that made me emmigrate to the US and not to some banana republic

rex1960 said:
I beg to differ. I find it pretty clear and it's a law you can rely on even if it's not clear what human officers, immigration lawyers and posters here make of it.

That's the problem, when things become gray...

At least at the appeal court somebody's going to look at the clear text of the law.

That's good, but the question is: Do you want to go all the way to the appeal court?

That's one of the things that made me emmigrate to the US and not to some banana republic

I came to this country for everything else but the Immigration Law and the immigration process :D :D :D

In Canada since 1990 till now, with the score I have, I could've became a citizen, maybe 5 times, over and over and over...

ari4u said:

This mean you are eligible to apply for I-485 as you are the spouse of a USC eventhough you overstayed your visa.

How about unmarried child over 21 years old? A friend of mine is over 21 years old, unmarried, his mum (permanent resident, planning to apply citizenship this May) has filed I-485 for him since August 2001 (his case is now in Family based 2nd (b) priority, will change to 1st priority once his mum is naturalized) however his F-1 visa is expiring soon. Would he be placed a 3/10 year bar?

rex1960 said:
I beg to differ. I find it pretty clear and it's a law you can rely on even if it's not clear what human officers, immigration lawyers and posters here make of it.

I still think it is difficult for most people to see through that legal lingo. Law language is something you really have to get used to first. There is a huge handbook on the USCIS website, where it seems like it is explained to officers how to read and use their laws! So apparently it does deserve explanations.

Once you know what it means, it surely is the clearest and most reliable thing in the world, which is good. It's just that many people are intimidated and confused the first couple of times they read the laws and instructions.

patty579 said:
I still think it is difficult for most people to see through that legal lingo. Law language is something you really have to get used to first. There is a huge handbook on the USCIS website, where it seems like it is explained to officers how to read and use their laws! So apparently it does deserve explanations.

Once you know what it means, it surely is the clearest and most reliable thing in the world, which is good. It's just that many people are intimidated and confused the first couple of times they read the laws and instructions.

I know, patty. That's why people should take their time and read very carefully through all those instructions. You can always come here and ask but how would you know that the info you're getting here is straight to the point and covers your individual case other than doing some research on your own.
I strongly believe in the concept of doing your own efforts and homework. Even if you get assistance by immigration lawyers they could tell you whatever without you knowing that it's utter BS just to get your cash.
However, some people here appear as if they've never been to that USCIS website before at all. I know that's not true for you, though.

Well of course everybody should read for themselves first. Otherwise you won't be able to differentiate here between people who know what they are talking about and people who don't.

Also I hope I will become one of those who know what they are talking about, in order to help others here in the future. And you just can't unless you read the sources over and over. :D

In the end, it's just so good and reassuring to compare what you read with the interpretations of those people who know what they are talking about!! I mean that's mostly why I am here.

trust me... when i was getting ready to fill the forms, it took me a coupla days, so many re-reads of the instructions, scouring the posts of this forum day and night before that clarity finally dawned on me. It felt like i was high on dope when i finally understood what was required :D The most confusing part was the I-864 which i wouldnt have understood without the help of the gurus here :).

ari4u said:
trust me... when i was getting ready to fill the forms, it took me a coupla days, so many re-reads of the instructions, scouring the posts of this forum day and night before that clarity finally dawned on me. It felt like i was high on dope when i finally understood what was required :D The most confusing part was the I-864 which i wouldnt have understood without the help of the gurus here :).

lol and now you are a guru yourself! :)
I totally know what you are talking about. It feels SO good, when you realize you finally understand what is being said in some forms.
Sadly I still feel like I have a long way to go. I'm telling you, my first celebration will be on the day I submit my AOS package! :D

authorized stay expired?

patty579 said:
Does anyone know?

I've been trying to find posts with a similar topic, but no-one seems to be too sure about overstaying.
I've also read here many times that overstays are forgiven if you are married to a USC. But on my instructions to I-485 it says that you are not eligible to apply if
"Your authorized stay expired before you filed this application".

What do you think?

This is also my question. I understand that an immediate relative of USC can overstay. But that dose not seem to overrule expiration of your anthorized stay which I believe is given by I-94. Any comments? Thanks!

cat001 said:
This is also my question. I understand that an immediate relative of USC can overstay. But that dose not seem to overrule expiration of your anthorized stay which I believe is given by I-94. Any comments? Thanks!
Please do not consider IR of USC CAN overstay. It is still illegal. They must not overstay, but they are forgiven FOR HUMANITARIAN REASON TO US CITIZEN. Forgiven overstay does not overrule I-94 expiration(guess what will happen if immediate relative left the US after more than 180 days overstay), however, one is eligible to I485. Once one can file I485, they are in authorized stay.

How about unmarried child over 21 years old? A friend of mine is over 21 years old, unmarried, his mum (permanent resident, planning to apply citizenship this May) has filed I-485 for him since August 2001 (his case is now in Family based 2nd (b) priority, will change to 1st priority once his mum is naturalized) however his F-1 visa is expiring soon. Would he be placed a 3/10 year bar?

He already is under AOS pending(his F1 is not supposed to be valid) .

Last edited by a moderator: