When during naturalization can I sponsor my mother?

hi234

Registered Users (C)
Hi:

I will go through the naturalization process later this year and am wondering at what point during this process can I sponsor my mother who is in India for GC? After the interview, or only after the oath, or after getting a US passport?

Thanks,
hi234

I have a related question and hope someone could help me with it:

I've recently got my greencard and am considering sponsoring my parents for the green cards once i'm naturalized - i understand that'll take 3-years' waiting. But in my case, my parents are currently here in the us and they are already out of status. We have two options now:

1. They go back to the home country now and wait for 3 years or more till I could sponsor their greencards application.

2. They stay here and wait till then.

So the key issue is after 3 years or so when they apply for the green card, does it matter whether they are here or in the home country, especially taking into consideration of the fact that they are out of status?

Any suggesions would be highly appreciated.

jiujiu said:
I have a related question and hope someone could help me with it:

I've recently got my greencard and am considering sponsoring my parents for the green cards once i'm naturalized - i understand that'll take 3-years' waiting. But in my case, my parents are currently here in the us and they are already out of status. We have two options now:

1. They go back to the home country now and wait for 3 years or more till I could sponsor their greencards application.
If you want to sponsor your parents green card applications after becoming US Citizen, that is fine but staying out of status for more than one year make them not eligible for reentry into USA for ten years and possibly they may have difficulty in getting greencard.

2. They stay here and wait till then.
Not a good idea.

So the key issue is after 3 years or so when they apply for the green card, does it matter whether they are here or in the home country, especially taking into consideration of the fact that they are out of status?
How long they are out of status.

Any suggesions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks for your quick reply. My parents are already out of status for over one year. In this case, what should we do to improve the chance of their getting green cards in three years? Thanks a lot for any help.