When Can WE Leave Employer After getting GC.

FromSA

Registered Users (C)
Friends,
When can we leave employer after GC approval / Passport stamping.
My employer is fine with that but any minimum stay required? Do I have to wait till I get my plastic card? or anything else ....

Pls update me.

No Title

I have seen messages that said \'3 months\' is okay.
But I want to find that myself. My end client wants to hire me and is willing to wait.
Somebody help!

No Title

But I heard that when and if you apply for United States citizenship it might affect your application. Don\'t know how much this is true.

No Title

My cousin left his company four days after stamping... she was given a very nice farewell and a gift also...so I guess, it really does not matter... I have read of cases where some stupid employer may file a complain with the INS, but given the status of the INS, they neither have the resources nor the budget to even think about following up such cases.

No Title

Thanks Bhanu.
My employer is fine if I leave him. (As such I am on bench for last 2 months now) I just wanted to check legal aspect. If its ok mutually then there should not be a problem. Let\'s see !!

Thanks again.

No Title

Call from parking lot of INS office through cell phone and tell your employer that you QUIT.(after your stamping is done.) You can quit. No incident was ever reported in this board. i read rajiv khanna\'s faq mentioning it is reasonable to quit after 90-100days.

No Title

Who receives the plastic card (you or lawyer) and how long does it take after adjudication/stamping? Is stamping a pre-requisite to mail the card?

What happens in the case where you leave the employer without the card with only stamping on the passport? Does the lawyer handling the case receive it? Do they then mail it to you? Would the employer hold on to it if you don\'t leave on good terms?

No Title

Gali, I laughed so loud after reading your post. That\'s why I\'ll say it again , you guys are a great bunch.

No Title

The plastic card is mailed to you. However, if you change your address, the post office will not forward the card to your new address. So, if you move, make sure to call INS and give them your new address. Then call again a few days later to verify they have your new address.

Sticking around with your sponsoring employer for 3 - 6 months after getting the passport stamp is usually considered a "safe" period.