When can we apply or a SSN??

SlowJedi

Registered Users (C)
I just became a naturalized USC, now we applied for my wife's AOS. Any ideas what's the earliest that we can apply for her SSN? We didn't apply for the EAD since she's a housewife and doesn't need one, but we need the SSN to get her a driver's license. I just got the receipts back for 130 and 485 filings, waiting for the FP notice. We are in So.Cal.

Thanks for any help.

You must wait until she received her EAD card, then you can go to the SSA and request one. Remember to go with original documents.

Good luck,

HAHA thanks...I don't see how the person can apply for SSN without an EAD unless she has a K1 visa or another type of valid visa that at least she can get a SSN "not valid for employment" so she can get a driver's license. I don't know Cali...but in other I think you need to show proof of being legally here anyway...so not only the SSN but a valid visa or again...the EAD.

cherr1980 said:
HAHA thanks...I don't see how the person can apply for SSN without an EAD unless she has a K1 visa or another type of valid visa that at least she can get a SSN "not valid for employment" so she can get a driver's license. I don't know Cali...but in other I think you need to show proof of being legally here anyway...so not only the SSN but a valid visa or again...the EAD.

Really? Hm... They won't give any SSN with K-1. Only EAD and GC counts. Well, at least they didn't give me a SSN when I was on K-1.

Hi Dani...I am not a K1 visa but when I knew about it I found out a forum that they were talking about that...and the person (who was the one who start the post) was saying how she get the SSN, she showed to her SSA office a Memo from USCIS about acepting K-1 visas to apply for SSN, and many people got SSN as K1 visa...now I don't know how is the deal with it currently. Not all, as far as I know, have been succesful since I heard other stories as well...I just remembered that fact.