When can my wife apply for US Citizenship?

bhartiya_12

Registered Users (C)
My wife got her US green card (through marriage) in Sept 2009. She also got the conditional GC status removed in Mar this year.

I was told by a friend that you can apply for citizenship after 3 years of getting GC(as opposed to 4 yrs 9 months for work related GC) if you got GC based on marriage. If that is correct can she apply for her citizenship in Sept 2012?

I am already a US citizen.

Thanks

My wife got her US green card (through marriage) in Sept 2009. She also got the conditional GC status removed in Mar this year.

I was told by a friend that you can apply for citizenship after 3 years of getting GC(as opposed to 4 yrs 9 months for work related GC) if you got GC based on marriage. If that is correct can she apply for her citizenship in Sept 2012?

Thanks

Yes she can apply after 2years and 9 month. She can apply today, if otherwise qualified on total presence in US and had not been abroad for more than six months in one go, she qualifies. Please read manual M-476.

Thanks

She can apply for naturalization 3 years minus 90 days from the date of receiving the conditional GC status, provided at the time she submits N-400 she has been married to you for at least 3 full years and provided you have been a U.S. citizen for at least 3 full years.

Eligibility for the 3 year rule is not based on how the GC was obtained, it's based on being married to a US citizen for 3 years. So people who obtained their GC via employment or asylum or non-marriage family sponsorship can be eligible if they're been married to a US citizen for 3 years (and meet the other conditions such as good moral character, physical presence etc.).