When can I apply for citizenship?

Asib

Registered Users (C)
Hello all,
I got my GC on 4/31/2006 through employment. In the last 5 five years I have had 2 trips to overseas total 45 days. When can I apply for citizenship?
Is it after 57 months (1/31/2011),
or after 57 months +1.5 month spent overseas,
or after 60 months?
Thank you,
Asib

Hello all,
I got my GC on 4/31/2006 through employment. In the last 5 five years I have had 2 trips to overseas total 45 days. When can I apply for citizenship?
Is it after 57 months (1/31/2011),
or after 57 months +1.5 month spent overseas,
or after 60 months?
Thank you,
Asib

Your trips abroad were short so they did not disrupt your continuous residency. You can submit an N-400 90 days (not 3 months!) prior to the 5-th year anniversary of your GC. It is generally recommended to wait 3-5 days longer than that to avoid any (mis)counting issues with USCIS.

I am curious, however, about your statement that you got your GC on 4/31/2006. The last I checked, the month of April has 30 days, not 31 days.

INA 334 Application for naturalization; declaration of intention [Substitute Secretary of Homeland Security for Attorney General]

(a) Evidence and form

An applicant for naturalization shall make and file with the Attorney General a sworn application in writing, signed by the applicant in the applicant's own handwriting if physically able to write, which application shall be on a form prescribed by the Attorney General and shall include averments of all facts which in the opinion of the Attorney General may be material to the applicant's naturalization, and required to be proved under this subchapter. In the case of an applicant subject to a requirement of continuous residence under section 316(a) or 319(a) of this title, the application for naturalization may be filed up to 3 months before the date the applicant would first otherwise meet such continuous residence requirement.

Apply at 4 years, 9 months and 1 day after the "resident since" date on your greencard, if otherwise eligible.

A trip abroad lasting 6 months or more can disrupte continuity of residence. That aspect is explained at 8 CFR 316.5(c) and does not apply to you.