When Can I apply for Citizenship

happyboss

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am a permanent resident since June 2001. I'll have a continuous residency of 5 years in June 2006. People say that I can apply for citizenship 6 months before I complete 5 years of residency. Is this true? When can I apply for citizenship at the earleist without violating any rules?

I shall appreciate if you share your experience and opinion.

Thanks.

You need to be a permanent resident card (green card) holder to be eligible to apply for citizenship.

In normal circumstances, an immigrant should be a permanent resident for five years to be eligible for citizenship. If you are married to a US citizen, then it is three years of permanent residency.It is that you have to be in marriage to a U.S citizen and should be living with that U.S citizen for the past 3 three years of your permanent residency for the criteria to be applicable to you.

Current regulations do allow a person to start the application process ninety days before they fulfill their residency requirement.

You need to be a permanent resident card (green card) holder to be eligible to apply for citizenship.

In normal circumstances, an immigrant should be a permanent resident for five years to be eligible for citizenship. If you are married to a US citizen, then it is three years of permanent residency.It is that you have to be in marriage to a U.S citizen and should be living with that U.S citizen for the past 3 three years of your permanent residency for the criteria to be applicable to you.

Current regulations do allow a person to start the application process ninety days before they fulfill their residency requirement.

Why are you replying now to the post from November 2005??