What's visible to immigration officers

needofhelp

Registered Users (C)
I have a question reg. what's visible to INS officers regarding the citation/ offence/ conviction.

a. When one goes for my citizenship interview, do the INS officer / interviewer have the whole police report details i.e evrything the the store security officer reported reg. a petty theft offence?

b Would the INS officer only know what the court convicted me for, say if it was teh case was settled for tresspass, would they still know that the initial citation was for petty theft? also would they still have all teh details from teh initial police report?

c. What details should I give when I go for the citizenship interview.

Thanks!

c. What details should I give when I go for the citizenship interview.

All the relevant details. You should never omit any information to any immigration officer. They can easily get all the info they want with a "click of a button."

BTW, If you have those kind of records within the last 5/6 years, your chances to get your citizenship approved are very slim, and you need to hire a lawyer.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing that is on your record is what you were "convicted" for. If you "settled" it looks like you had your crime offense dropped down to a lessor offense. From what I am aware, that's the only item on your record. Not what you "could have" been convicted of.

That being said, I would not lie to an IO. It's considered perjury and that is a crime in and of itself.

With your secnario, I would hire a lawyer or at least talk to one about your situation as ccordova stated before.

thats true. all the IO can see is whether you were arrested for a crime and or whether you were convicted for a crime. also, even if you weren't convicted or arrested, if you made some admission of the crime in court for a lesser offence, he can see that. what he cannot see is what you could have been arrested for. also he will ask u in the interview certain questions. those questions pretain to the arrest and or conviction. if no charges were pressed, then how would he see that? a police report at best is just a police report. if you were never charged and if u never contested it, he would not be able to see it. lets put it this way....only when u go to jail or go to court, he will be able to see that. take care

however dont make it a point by lying. answer ur questions to the IO in a smart but convincing way. dont divulge any information that he doesn't ask for. for instance he might ask 'have u ever been arrested ' if u haven't say 'no'. dont say 'no but i raped this chick and i got away for it...'lol