What's the purpose of a lawyer at the interview?

pville85

Registered Users (C)
Hey guys,my lawyer is charging $500 to accompany my wife and I to the interview:eek:According to him he does not accompany clients unless he does a practice interview.I can't afford that, and from what i've heard they are not allowed to say anything during the interview.I overstayed my visitor's visa(I was a minor when I came to the U.S),I have never worked or broken any other law,besides my overstay.As far as I know that is forgiven when you marry a usc.In my case is there any advantage or disadvantage to having a lawyer present at the interview?

I would say none.

He can not answer any question for you, usually just make sure you two are prepared for the interview, but if you are married for real and read some of the stuff in this forum you should be more than prepared.

Here is a good prep-tool for the interview: http://www.immigrationportal.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13973&d=1141527377 go over it with your wife and bring as many documents as you can proving your marriage.

Do not worry about the overstay, as it is forgiven.

I would say save the $500.

Hey guys,my lawyer is charging $500 to accompany my wife and I to the interview:eek:According to him he does not accompany clients unless he does a practice interview.I can't afford that, and from what i've heard they are not allowed to say anything during the interview.I overstayed my visitor's visa(I was a minor when I came to the U.S),I have never worked or broken any other law,besides my overstay.As far as I know that is forgiven when you marry a usc.In my case is there any advantage or disadvantage to having a lawyer present at the interview?

Your lawyer can and will speak on your behalf when appropriate. He/She could be helpful when the IO asks you specific questions that you are not comfertable to answer. He also could object to some questions that have been asked by the IO. If the Lawyer doesnt speak or intervene with the interview then that is good news for you, but if he does, he is protecting you from truble. I always take my lawyer with me simply to have him as a witness since he//she is an officer of the court.

Your lawyer can and will speak on your behalf when appropriate. He/She could be helpful when the IO asks you specific questions that you are not comfertable to answer. He also could object to some questions that have been asked by the IO. If the Lawyer doesnt speak or intervene with the interview then that is good news for you, but if he does, he is protecting you from truble. I always take my lawyer with me simply to have him as a witness since he//she is an officer of the court.

The problem here would be if the lwayer speeks and tells you not to answer a question, wouldn't that raise any red flags?

PVille I think (repeat: THINK) that since its a real marriage, any question they ask you, you should be able to answer without a lawyer.