What's the meaning of reopen a NIW application?

hang

Registered Users (C)
I filed my NIW two years ago and called VSC twice since I havn't heard anything from it and my case is out of projected processing time. But today I received an email saying that "On May 16, 2005, this case was reopened on a BCIS motion, and the case is now in process. It is taking between 90 and 485 days for us to process this kind of case. We will mail you a decision as soon as processing is complete."

Does anyone know what this means?

Thx!

A case can't be reopened unless it has been denied first. It is possible that they have denied your case but the notice failed to reach you. Anyways, when they figure out that they denied your case because of error, they'll reopen your case and most likely, it will be approved soon

My case has not been denied. I often check my online status, it always says something like that " Your application is received, it is in processing. It usually takes 90 and 485 days for us to process this kind of case." And I called them twice after my case is out of the processing time, but I was told that my case has not been processed, they will tell me the result within 30 days. Then yesterday, I received an email from USCIS and was told that my case was reopened. So I do not know what is going on in VSC.

Last edited by a moderator:
hang said:
My case has not been denied. I often check my online status, it always says something like that " Your application is received, it is in processing. It usually takes 90 and 485 days for us to process this kind of case." And I called them twice after my case is out of the processing time, but I was told that my case has not been processed, they will tell me the result within 30 days. Then yesterday, I received an email from USCIS and was told that my case was reopened. So I do not know what is going on in VSC.

A wide guess, they lost your application package.

So if they lost my application material, what do you they usually handle this kind of problem? Can I get approval finially? Or I need to file my NIW again?

hang said:
So if they lost my application material, what do you they usually handle this kind of problem? Can I get approval finially? Or I need to file my NIW again?

Hi Hang,

This is just a guess. If you take a close look at this forum, so many people got their I-140 approvals a couple of months after sent to VSC, some even less then 20 days. VSC is the fastest among all SCs. But some people filed back in 2002 are still waiting, no RFE and no LUD no matter how many inquiry they sent. If I were them, I would re-apply rather than wasting time. Who knows what is going on in their office! But this is just my personal oppinion....I wish you good luck!

Hang on

Hang on for 2 - 4 weeks, given the latest processing timeframe, you would certainly hear from them in this month. I did, after my case was re opened after a denial.

Good luck

RHTK