What's next after approval?

Scotgirl

Registered Users (C)
Thanks to everyone for their congratulatory messages :)

What is the next step? I believe it is passport stamping but am not sure of the procedures. Any advice is welcome. I have mailed my lawyer but no word yet...

Thanks guys!

I read somewhere on this forum that PP stamping is required only if you have plans to travel abroad. Otherwise Plastic Cards will arrive at your home adress in due course.

my 2 cents.

Index finger print?

But don't they take the print of your index finger when you go for stamping? And that will appear on your plastic card, right?

Congrats on your approval.

Next after approval is partying... :D
Party hard, and walk into your boss's office and show him the middle finger if he's been milking you and treating you like Shi* all these years.

After approval process : Go to local INS office with Approval copy, EAD, AP (if any), Driver's License, Passport with I94, two Photos (Adit style). That's it.
They will stamp your passport with I-551 and you will get your actual green card by post within 4 to 8 weeks.

You must go to the local INS office to get your PP stamping. That process will initiate your Plastic card order. Otherwise they will take it as NO on your side for the 485 approval notice and never send you the plastic card.

(BTW, Don't count on me, I read it some where like every body else).

Congratulations ScotGirl.... did your Last Update Date change in last few days/weeks? If yes, how many times?

aks999 said:
...PP stamping is required only if you have plans to travel abroad. Otherwise Plastic Cards will arrive at your home adress in due course.
This is absolutely NOT true! Don't ever give other people any advice (or answer) if you've no idea of what you're talking about!

aks999 said:
I read somewhere on this forum that PP stamping is required only if you have plans to travel abroad. Otherwise Plastic Cards will arrive at your home adress in due course.

my 2 cents.

aks999: Absolutely wrong.

You must go for stamping to submit your fingerprints and signature which will appear on your card. As someone mentioned do take your approval notice, passport, I-94, 2 ADIT photos, current EAD and AP to your local USCIS office (mentioned on your approval notice).

Scotgirl,

It clearly says on the I-485 approval notice (you will get a courtesy copy while your attorney gets the original) that you need to go to the local INS with passport, 2 ADIT photos, I-94 (they do not say EAD but take EAD and AP if you have). This actually completes the process of your green card application (if you do not go it is incomplete). They take your index finger print, signature, photos and do some background check and finally stamp your passport with the orangish I-551 stamp by uttering words of 'Welcome to the USA'. Your cards will be mailed after 6-12 months (they say). But they may reach earlier.

regards
ataknev

Thanks guys! Hopefully my notice will show up soon and then I'll take care of everything as requested.

RD2426, my last updated date was May 17th. I imagine it now shows July 1st (AD). I was checking it last week and that's the date that it said then. Hope that helps!

mavishka said:
aks999: Absolutely wrong.

You must go for stamping to submit your fingerprints and signature which will appear on your card. As someone mentioned do take your approval notice, passport, I-94, 2 ADIT photos, current EAD and AP to your local USCIS office (mentioned on your approval notice).

I got this info from the following thread. look for the post by sertra2002

stamping

OK, allow me to correct my earlier post. Once you get your 485 approval, you will need to physically go to the USCIS office to submit your ADIT photo, fingerprints and signature, irrespective of whether you get your passport stamped or not. I might be wrong but the form on which they take your fingerprint and signature will go on the physical 'green' card. Yes, you're right in that the passport stamp is simply a convenience so that you can re-enter the country before you get the actual card.

Heard from my lawyer today who said she is sending info on next steps. I guess my copy and hers of approval notice should show up soon.

I will definitely go for passport stamping to start the plastic card process.

Thanks again guys!