Whats a good reason for extension

mk23

Hi,

My Dad has been here in US on Visitor's visa and his 6 mths stay is expiring soon. This was his first ever visit to US. I want to file an extension and have following questions:

1. Whats the good reason for extension. How about an important religious ceremony near my son's first birthday. Does medical reasons need a proof while filing the app or in the event of their asking for proof what kinda proof would be required. Can we show indian doctors prescription or something showing his old ailment like asthma, etc.

2. What are the chances for acceptance considering it is his first visit. Does this effect the chances? any recent experiences?

3. I am on student visa (F1) and my wife is on J1 visa (research scholar). Does this has any bearing on the decision?

4. When should the app be filed. Is it okay to file just 2 weeks or so before his I94 date.

5. Do we have to send the original I94. The instructions for filling the I539 doesnt say so. It says original or copy?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

-mk23

here is what I think:
1. never give childcare as a reason. INS treats this as employment for parents (eg, read: http://immihelp.com/experience/readentries.do?category=19). but religious ceremony for child may work. for medical stuff, I'd say that you need to show that either he cant travel or he is under treatment here. for both, you need a US doc to write a letter. I doubt the indian doc's letter will carry much weightage. the best reasons are travelling to different places in the US.
2. chances are pretty good.
3. No. as long as you can show you've enough funds.
4. dont know. but I'd file 2 months before expiry. 2 weeks may give the impression that your intention is of staying longer here.
5. all over the internet, people have recommended NOT to send the original.

good luck, sanjit