What will you do after you get your GC

What will you do after you receive your GC (Employment Based)

• Will quit my current job immediately and look for a new job

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • Will quit my current job after 6 months and look for a new job

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • Will start my own company immediately

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Will start my own company after 6 months

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Will stay in the current job.. GC doesn't change anything for me

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Will stay in the current job.. and ask for a pay increase...

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 10.0%

• Total voters

centerq

Registered Users (C)
Got bored with Bulletin predictions? Try this now...

A lot of us may be getting our green cards a lot quicker than we expected.. :D
Its time we start thinking about our life after GC...:confused: :confused:

Here are some options.. If you don't find any of these options suitable.. you can just comment...

Got bored with Bulletin predictions? Try this now...

A lot of us may be getting our green cards a lot quicker than we expected.. :D
Its time we start thinking about our life after GC...:confused: :confused:

Here are some options.. If you don't find any of these options suitable.. you can just comment...

And..... my vote for "Other" means..... I will take my family on cruise to carrabians which otherwise I need visa :)

i am planning on my retirement back to my home country (maybe wait till i get citizenship just for a backup).

In all probablity, you will do nothing. Just get back to work next day.

I've had mine approved almost 5.5 months back, with responsibilities of having a kid, my life did not change even a little bit.

Something, when things like GC come late in life, it is really late to do anything.

I have some questions regarding starting a business & EAD.

1) Can a person on H1 start a business if he gets EAD and still wants to continue with H1 with the primary employer?

2) Or is it better to start with Spouse who will also receive EAD?

3) Can my spouse be on EAD (I mean using EAD) and still use her H4 visa which is valid for next three years or she can use only AP since she used her EAD?

Your advise will be helpful. Thanks

I've had mine approved almost 5.5 months back, with responsibilities of having a kid, my life did not change even a little bit.

Something, when things like GC come late in life, it is really late to do anything.
I am sure your stress level must have gone way down......not having to worry about EAD renewal.....not able to change employer....etc....

which is the reason most of us are waiting badly for the GC..

I can add, no fear of losing job and thus losing visa status, being able to visit other countries with less of visa issues etc...

I am sure your stress level must have gone way down......not having to worry about EAD renewal.....not able to change employer....etc....

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotcha!!

Well now the america can say gotcha!! They use all your energies pretty early in the game and now even if you get GC you cannot make much difference. Sometimes going up the ladder is difficult as well....

The best thing is to venture into some business and make money.

Oh definitely. My case had all ingredients, even a 485 denial.

I can say, after getting GC, it took 4 months to RECOVER. The fear of loosing status was still hanging even after 2 months.

Care to explain the reason for denial, and how you overcame it? Please post a link if you already discussed it in another thread.

Used AC21 to join a different employer. I sent in AC21 papers immediately after joining. My previous company revoked I-140. VSC, missed 2 steps, first make a note of AC21 papers, second issue a NOID before denying 485.

I filed for motion to reopen, case got reopened. Then I was stuck, first in Name Check, later in retrogression. Then finally when all was green, they transferred my case to local office. After 2 months, I got approved in an interview.

I came in 1997, filed GC 3 times. Adding to the regular woes, I was struggling thru employer exploitation and was also fighting a criminal case (I won eventually) that could have potentially affected my US dream.

One lesson I learnt in all this is that, be patient and stick to the law. Eventually things will happen. Those unlucky will face hassels but will get there in the end.